People with milder forms of autism struggle as adults

Page 8 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

V, so you believe that one can get over autism? You match the symptoms, you deal with them, you no longer match the symptoms. Cured. Really?

"Someone who has a single kidney can be identified as such without doing a screening and an ADOS and an ADI-R or equivalent"

Yes, but they wouldn't be tested unless they presented symptoms. They go through their life undiagnosed, then their child dies from a kidney infection. That seems legitimately analogous to successful undiagnosed autism, to me.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

One can have impairments and still be successful even the diagnosed. For the last couple of months, wrongplanet has featured HFA ladies who could easily pass for non-autistics. Seeing them and reading their stories, it's not out the realm of possibility or probability THAT there could exist more Autists like them YET simply undiagnosed .

Again, it's an extremely large spectrum with various 'abilities' along with 'disabilities'. No Autistic is completely alike. There are vast differences among the population.

TheSunAlsoRises

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:30 am

That's true. I think success can only be measured subjectively. Ask them if they're happy. Then ask me if they're lying. :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

fraac wrote:
V, so you believe that one can get over autism? You match the symptoms, you deal with them, you no longer match the symptoms. Cured. Really

... yeah, I really should have left this alone the last time. I'm done here. One of the things I liked about this place was people not constantly reading between the lines for dodgy interpretations.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:32 am

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
One can have impairments and still be successful even the diagnosed. For the last couple of months, wrongplanet has featured HFA ladies who could easily pass for non-autistics. Seeing them and reading their stories, it's not out the realm of possibility or probability THAT there could exist more Autists like them YET simply undiagnosed .

Again, it's an extremely large spectrum with various 'abilities' along with 'disabilities'. No Autistic is completely alike. There are vast differences among the population.

TheSunAlsoRises

Thank you, I don't understand how all these people are being ignored so easily.

And yes, much of the undiagnosed population is likely so similar that there is no way to know how many of them exist.

HDTV...

Whatever.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:34 am

Verdandi wrote:
fraac wrote:
V, so you believe that one can get over autism? You match the symptoms, you deal with them, you no longer match the symptoms. Cured. Really

... yeah, I really should have left this alone the last time. I'm done here. One of the things I liked about this place was people not constantly reading between the lines for dodgy interpretations.

It was a question, not an interpretation. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:37 am

Those who haven't need to go out(IF at all possible) and see YOUR Autists brothers and sisters.

I guaran-damn-tee YOU; it will give you a different perspective on the research THAT you read and cite concerning Autistics.

Until more Autistics get directly involved in research, as practitioners, a lot of Autists will not get the answers they seek concerning their unique neurology.

TheSunAlsoRises

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

I find the definition of "success" our society has a bit insulting. With that terminology, being able to make money, get married, and have kids is thrown at people as some kind of yardstick and de-facto yard stick of self-worth. The problem is 90% of the population meets this standard, many who are not truly exceptional any way. The thing is defined by exclusion in that you "fail" because you are "defective" in doing what 90% of people do, regardless of the fact that you may have unique talents and positive qualities that 99% of others do not. I think it's no wonder that many people who can't seem to find their niche in life often give up after constantly getting hung up by their weakest link. I'd also say that the job market is changed today compared to what it was in the past. There are few jobs left that don't require social skills as one of the top qualifying factors.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:04 pm

These people don't care about us and keep making it seem like we're doomed over "social skills" because that's all they care about. Has it occurred to them that not EVERY BODY cares about how many friends they have or don't have? Seems like a lack of theory of mind at play and the same old applying their standards onto others to hide the fact that they cannot be an individual enough to understand that not all of us are the same nor should we be and that is just fine.

Their life would be ruined if they have no friends. Projection. Who cares if someone is an intelligent loner with hobbies. Has it occurred to these biased people that hobbies can make someone happy and perhaps they should try it too?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

Nobody is saying that there aren't successful autistic adults. Nobody here is saying that there aren't undiagnosed autistic people who have jobs. What they're saying is that statistically, the rates of unemployment of autistic people are unlikely to change drastically when you include undiagnosed adults.

Rates of employment of diagnosed autistic adults is 12%.
"Unemployment" rate in the UK currently is 8.4%. Judging by the US's "unemployment" rate vs employment, the actual rate of having jobs for adults overall is likely about 80%.

If I could find the rates of diagnosis of adults in the UK (rather than the estimated rates of ASD, which is 1/100 in adults as well as children), I'd go through various calculations, including how many undiagnosed autistic people there would need to be with jobs to get the rate of employment to be the same between autistic people and non-autistic people.

fraac wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
fraac wrote:

It was a question, not an interpretation. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

I'm not her, but I can give you my interpretation (which also focuses on impairments being necessary for diagnosis).

There is clinical levels of autism and subclinical levels. The existence of subclinical levels doesn't change that when you hit clinical levels, supposed "functioning levels" don't actually determine how employable someone is. Being verbal, IQ, or any other method that tends to lead to the functional level descriptors has probable weak correlation with impairment and even less with employability.

If someone grows up and hits the point that they show no impairments, even when put in stressful situations, then they've become subclinical. They still think in the same manner. This is still relevant, but their existence doesn't change any information about the clinical people. There is a group of people who do this either with or without diagnosis.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Mar 2012, 12:57 pm

TheygoMew wrote:
These people don't care about us and keep making it seem like we're doomed over "social skills" because that's all they care about. Has it occurred to them that not EVERY BODY cares about how many friends they have or don't have? Seems like a lack of theory of mind at play and the same old applying their standards onto others to hide the fact that they cannot be an individual enough to understand that not all of us are the same nor should we be and that is just fine.

Their life would be ruined if they have no friends. Projection. Who cares if someone is an intelligent loner with hobbies. Has it occurred to these biased people that hobbies can make someone happy and perhaps they should try it too?

This is a criticism I do agree with. They do over-focus on social skills and not so much on other things. I do think that the overall point in the article is accurate in terms of autistic adult employment and impairments.

I definitely don't mind being a loner with hobbies and spending time with those instead of people. But I do mind having so much trouble with work, for a variety of reasons related to my social deficits, to unrealistic expectations from others, to my own sensory overload, and so on.

And: Tuttle, thank you for that.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:03 pm

The difference between clinical and subclinical in the undiagnosed population would appear to be largely situational. The subclinical ones are 'getting away with it', perhaps due to random chance.

"What they're saying is that statistically, the rates of unemployment of autistic people are unlikely to change drastically when you include undiagnosed adults"

I can't understand why anyone would assert this without evidence. We know that adults get diagnosed when they're having problems. The undiagnosed ones would seem therefore to be more successful.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Nobody is saying that there aren't successful autistic adults. Nobody here is saying that there aren't undiagnosed autistic people who have jobs. What they're saying is that statistically, the rates of unemployment of autistic people are unlikely to change drastically when you include undiagnosed adults.

Rates of employment of diagnosed autistic adults is 12%.
"Unemployment" rate in the UK currently is 8.4%. Judging by the US's "unemployment" rate vs employment, the actual rate of having jobs for adults overall is likely about 80%.

If I could find the rates of diagnosis of adults in the UK (rather than the estimated rates of ASD, which is 1/100 in adults as well as children), I'd go through various calculations, including how many undiagnosed autistic people there would need to be with jobs to get the rate of employment to be the same between autistic people and non-autistic people.

fraac wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
fraac wrote:

I'm not her, but I can give you my interpretation (which also focuses on impairments being necessary for diagnosis).

There is clinical levels of autism and subclinical levels. The existence of subclinical levels doesn't change that when you hit clinical levels, supposed "functioning levels" don't actually determine how employable someone is. Being verbal, IQ, or any other method that tends to lead to the functional level descriptors has probable weak correlation with impairment and even less with employability.

If someone grows up and hits the point that they show no impairments, even when put in stressful situations, then they've become subclinical. They still think in the same manner. This is still relevant, but their existence doesn't change any information about the clinical people. There is a group of people who do this either with or without diagnosis.

You can't apply the same statistics. to the undiagnosed adults who grew up when the diagnosis didn't exist.

You would have to go back in time and put the diagnosis in the DSM, then watch them grow up again.

The criteria for clinical and subclinical levels don't change but the way in which people who receive a diagnosis adapt may be different, if you consider the people who have adapted to be subclincal autistics at that point it's perfectly acceptable but that leaves the possibility that current diagnosed Aspies may have the same potential to grow up to be subclinical autistics and there's no reason to think that having a label that includes statistics of high failure rates hanging over their heads as they grow up may not affect that.

May, may not. Who knows, nobody here does but to treat the statistics as though they compare people who share the exact same experience is flawed.

HDTV...

Whatever.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:13 pm

You don't have evidence, you have the DSM begging the question!

Undiagnosed adults initially included people with and without problems in the same proportion to diagnosed children. Once you subtract the diagnosed ones - who we assume all have problems - then the undiagnosed ones have fewer problems. We don't know how many there are. This is straightforward.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

fraac wrote:
You don't have evidence, you have the DSM begging the question!

You keep saying those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean. It's also really annoying that you go on about who has evidence when you're trying to sell a fairy tale.

Quote:
Undiagnosed adults initially included people with and without problems in the same proportion to diagnosed children. Once you subtract the diagnosed ones - who we assume all have problems - then the undiagnosed ones have fewer problems. We don't know how many there are. This is straightforward.

Undiagnosed adults still include people with problems. You are stating an assumption that is not backed up by facts.

Your argument actually reads to me as a fairly straightforward instance of using the premise as proof, which is why I question your usage in regards to my own argument.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

anybody wanna go to the island of unwanted but lovable toy humans with me?Image

Last edited by auntblabby on 30 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.