What rules do nts use about speed limits?

Page 2 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 5:14 pm

You mean there are limits?! :lol: Actually, I live in a rural area. On the highways here people do tend to go pretty fast because everything is so far apart, and takes so long to get to. However, inside the towns and villages the limits are low, and tend to be enforced if you go more than 5 mph over the limit. That does make sense, though as you might really hurt or kill someone by going too fast right in the towns and villages. While it's annoying, I am willing to accept this annoyance, as it makes a lot of sense to me. On the highways, I tend to go with the flow. If I am running late for an appointment, I will go with the upper limit of the flow, other wise I will go more with the lower limit of the flow.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 5:24 pm

I usually stick to about 10 above the limit.

Anyone actually going below the limit I find incredibly annoying.
Stay off the road, wuss.

Diagnosed in 2005

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

I go below the speed limit if the roads are bad or when it's dark out or if the traffic is going really slow due to too much traffic. I also go with the flow of traffic when I found out that was actually a unwritten rule and that going the speed limit is actually a crime when everyone else is going fast. if I come up to a slow driver, I pass them safely. No tail gating or staying behind them getting all ticked off at them.

I have also gone 65 when the speed limit was 75 to save on gas and tons of cars passed me and that is what they are supposed to do. No one acted like a dumbass about it.

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

pete1061 wrote:

Stay off the road, wuss.

That on a road that only has 1 lane? or
1 lane & unable to pass because of oncoming traffic? or
a lane to overtake them?

Maybe it's in a rush to get somewhere that explains it, if its 1 lane?

Or the "Racer" view, I am an advanced driver & fully in control of my vhc & I am invincible & I know they won't be a horse round the corner or an accident. That I will end up flying off the road & smashing into a tree. Thinking?

Since a racer, wants you to get out of they way. Does not work when you got a Jeep, not going to intimidate me. Flashing lights & beeping a horn & riding my rear.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 7:39 pm

pastafarian wrote:

Really? Theres no "unwritten" speed limit in UK. I guess our roads are very different.

Not really: here it depends more on the mood of the cop who catches you, especially if he has radar evidence. Most of them are reasonable, and are going to go after the guy who zooms by doing 90MPH in a 55 zone, not the one who's going 56 in a 55 zone. But if he's hating the world in general, and drivers in particular, (and not otherwise busy) he'll go after you for _any_ infraction, even being a couple of inches over the center line when there isn't another car on the road. And you _can_ get fined for going one mile over the limit. One night I was driving in a town near here after dark, and I stopped at the stop light, and stayed stopped, and sat, and it didn't change. Eventually I decided that it was broken, and went on through (no traffic at all). My luck, a cop saw me, and stopped me. I did just get a lecture, not a fine, probably because of my ignorance and because I was a young woman, and _had_ stopped dead for quite a long time: in that particular town, by city ordinance, all traffic lights froze when there was an ambulance or fire trucks "running red" (sirens and lights), so no other traffic got in their way. I didn't know that, and the sirens were too far away for me to hear. But I could have gotten a ticket for "running" that red light.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 7:45 pm

I tend to go thirty over on highways, fifteen or so over on other roads.
I'm rarely the fastest driver.

EDIT: MPH.

Good point, Sibyl.

to his Interest."

Last edited by ValentineWiggin on 08 Apr 2012, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 7:49 pm

Oh, and most places in the US don't have cameras. Inside small cities, maybe, but we've got a whole lot of open road here, and small towns that can't afford the things.

And people, please, say mph or kph when you're saying a number, at least the first time you mention a number in your post. We're global, remember, with different units.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 9:24 pm

pastafarian wrote:
Max000 wrote:
scmnz wrote:
I tend to drive within a range of 5 miles below to 5 above with the exact posted speed limit. This entire range seems to annoy other drivers, so im wondering what rule for speed nts use when driving. what is appropriate speed, what speed is one expected to drive at, as it seems fairly clear that the speed one is expected to go is NOT the actual speed limit.

The "unwritten" speed limit is +5 to +10 over the posted speed limit. Thats the speed that most people drive at, and the speed that no reasonable cop would ever write you a ticket for. So yeah, you are driving really slow. Generally you should just drive with the flow of traffic to avoid annoying other drivers.

Really? Theres no "unwritten" speed limit in UK. I guess our roads are very different.

So it's common in the UK to get a ticket for going just 1 mph over the posted limit?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 9:29 pm

scmnz wrote:
I tend to drive within a range of 5 miles below to 5 above with the exact posted speed limit. This entire range seems to annoy other drivers, so im wondering what rule for speed nts use when driving. what is appropriate speed, what speed is one expected to drive at, as it seems fairly clear that the speed one is expected to go is NOT the actual speed limit.

Re: What rules do nts use about speed limits?

I find THAT Non-Autistics drive like they feel at any particular moment in time.

TheSunAlsoRises

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 9:55 pm

pastafarian wrote:
scmnz wrote:

This is not one of those read between the lines things. Its not an NT/autism issue.
Drive at or below the speed limit, thats the point of the speed limit. As long as you aren't being dangerous, drivers who get annoyed are idiots.

In the UK you can get fined for doing just 5miles over the speed limit. If an area is 30mps, theres a good reason. People who speed are selfish.

UK and US driving is a lot different. For one thing in the US, slower traffic doesn't tend to keep to the slow lane. It's not uncommon to see two cars driving the same speed, side by side. And if the two cars are driving 5 mph under the speed limit, there is going to be angry drivers stuck behind them.

Second, posted speed limits in the US are artificially low, compared to the average speed of what most people drive. It's not uncommon to see cars in a group driving 10 or even 20 mph over the speed limit, with a police car right in the middle of the pack.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 10:15 pm

pastafarian wrote:
TechnoDog wrote:
Technically your speedometer could be not working correctly. 5mph over the speed limit could be 10mph or 5mph under could be 10mph under. So you might think your going at the speed your going, but do you have a gps system that’s telling you that your not going that speed & I know the gps works because I had the same Jeep before this one & it was perfect on speed, just this is a newer model.

Police have a buffer of about 5 or so over speed limit. Depends on area.

Surely speed cameras dont depend on area? Or do you mean it depends on type of area, as in how much over you are as a % of the speed limit. You won't get away with >5mph over in a 30mph zone. And rightly too. Too many people just dont get that the energy increases with the square of the velocity and that really matters in residential areas.

Speed cameras (not that common in the US) are usually set for 11+ mph over the speed limit. Which again is the unwritten speed limit. If they were set for 1+ mph over the speed limit, probably 99% of the cars passing the camera would get fined. That would be a lot of unhappy people.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

Yes, rules are rules and should be obeyed. However there is a huge amount of variation in the way speed limits are set. Indeed, some would argue that recent changes have often been about maximising confusion in order to increase revenue from speed cameras, rather than actually protecting anyone.

In addition most of these rules would, in an ideal world, be contextual. I wouldn't do 140mph on a busy motorway, but I see nothing wrong with doing it on a deserted motorway at 3am.

Similarly, there's nothing wrong with penalising those who undertake, provided the idiots who middle lane hog are also told the error of their ways. If they were in the right place in the first place, I wouldn't be able to undertake them, would I?

And that's the key to friendly driving - think about others. Nothing annoys me more than idiots oblivious to the annoyance they are causing. Those who camp out in the middle lane, and don't notice the huge stack of cars behind them trying to get out into a now-solid fast lane. Or the people who've read fuel economy figures based on 40mph driving, who therefore think it's the most efficient speed and so drive at 40mph EVERYWHERE - on the motorway, past schools at 3:30pm, overtaking lorries.....

It's not hard to let people out at junctions, or wave a thankyou if you've been let out. It's not difficult to indicate at junctions so everyone (including pedestrians) will know what you're up to, and plan accordingly.

Likewise, use your mirrors. I was very nearly killed by an old guy in a Jaguar who tried to squash me between his car and the central barriers, because he hadn't looked before changing lanes. Now THAT'S dangerous. Doing 40mph on a road which should never have been designated as 30mph in the first place, with no people around and no traffic, does not strike me as anything near as risky. But unfortunately that's the easy way to make money and hit enforcement targets..

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

I have never driven 140 mph in my 55 years of driving, including when I was a crazy teenager when I once touched 100. And it's more dangerous to drive fast in the dark, as in 3AM, than it is in daylight.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

There was a straight stretch of road back home where I grew up (the country) and my brother, his best friend, and I would race there. My car tops out at 120, as did theirs, so it was basically more like a game of chicken. :lol:

to his Interest."

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

Sibyl wrote:
I have never driven 140 mph in my 55 years of driving, including when I was a crazy teenager when I once touched 100. And it's more dangerous to drive fast in the dark, as in 3AM, than it is in daylight.

I would not either. All you got to do is look at "autobahn crashes" on youtube. In Germany.

Edit:- Can't seem to find the "bmw m5" car crash, that launched into the air when it hit the guard rail. That showed on tv.

Just the safety video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PQUTiBNyw

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 8:28 am

TechnoDog wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Stay off the road, wuss.

That on a road that only has 1 lane? or
1 lane & unable to pass because of oncoming traffic? or
a lane to overtake them?

Maybe it's in a rush to get somewhere that explains it, if its 1 lane?

Or the "Racer" view, I am an advanced driver & fully in control of my vhc & I am invincible & I know they won't be a horse round the corner or an accident. That I will end up flying off the road & smashing into a tree. Thinking?

Since a racer, wants you to get out of they way. Does not work when you got a Jeep, not going to intimidate me. Flashing lights & beeping a horn & riding my rear.

Also don't forget heavy traffic on a multi lane road.
Flashing lights, beeping a horn and tailgating are all very obnoxious behaviors, a lot of people will only drive slower if you do that.

Your writing style leaves something to be desired. Maybe your primary language is not english?
"maybe it's in a rush"..."wants you to get out of they way"

Diagnosed in 2005