Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

At what age to you or in general?

This http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/10/5/341.full article say: However, while the more overt symptoms of autism are usually at their most florid in early childhood, the symptoms of Asperger syndrome may only become obvious with the social and functional demands of adolescence.

So AS traits can onset in adolescence?

Last edited by themonkey on 10 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

Yeah it can, My aspie traits became noticeably in 3rd grade and gradually got worse and worse and was obvious in like 6th or 7th grade. I've heard of people that started getting aspie traits in adolescence and was noticeable by the time they were like a senior in high school or later.

I'm pretty sure aspie traits can start to show up at any time. They usually start in early childhood or adolescence.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

my parents were worried that i was not like a normal baby when i was only 2 months old.

if you have autism it is present from birth, and if someone claims to have become autistic later in life, they are mistaken.

by the time i was 3 months old the doctors that my parents consulted suggested that i was autistic.

i have been autistic since i was conceived in the womb.
all my life i have seen things from inside my bubble and i have never for one second seen things from outside it.

i do not identify with most of the posters on this site because they know things that i could never know from inside my inner and isolated world.

maybe they are mostly smarter than me and have managed to compile a reasonable understanding of what is external to them, but i have never been out of my world. other people's worlds are like looking at another planet through a telescope to me. i can see what goes on, but it has no affect on me and it never has.

i have to go to sleep now because tomorrow is a big day for me.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm

Mine probably became more obvious as a teenager, which was when it was first suggested. I know that recently it's become very obvious too.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:45 pm

The DSM-5 really has right the answer to this.

"Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)"

The age of onset of symptoms is specifically early childhood, but you don't need to have noticed them at that point in time.

Looking back, you see traits of my autism when I was less than a year old (they're not the stereotypical ones however). The fact that I had much more noticeable, and identifiable symptoms as a teenager doesn't change that the onset was far earlier than when it was noticed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 12:55 pm

That is a terrible article in my opinion, I mean I didn't know we where commonly seen as that horribly incompetent. Why would I need someone to make sure I am participating in society? what if i want to be alone for a while? and what if god forbid 8O I don't like society?

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 1:18 pm

The onset of traits is early childhood, but as others have mentioned, and as stated in the DSM, the traits may not be apparent until later on. If you, your parents and other close family members and friends can look back on your childhood and not see any traits, then an ASD is unlikely.

My childhood traits were in no way obvious, but looking back now, one could connect the dots. I began reading books back to my grandmother in full at age 2, which is around the time my special interest and sleep difficulties began. In elementary school, I was very bright and was placed in a gifted program, but my teachers frequently reported that I spoke out of turn in class. I didn't like cartoons, often choosing to watch The Price is Right or old musicals. I was probably just seen as 'goofy' and 'bright.'

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 1:24 pm

according to my mother, i didnt recognize my father when i was a year old and he went away for a few days and came back with a beard. i treated him like a stranger.
also, my parents say age three, four and five, i didnt talk to anyone in kindergarten beside my older brother, whom i followed around.
age six, i started fingers flipping and walking back and forth on a tube set like a bridge over a hole in the schoolyard ground, never playing with other kids. i was fascinated with monotonous movement of plamtops swaying in the wind and preferred animals' company to humans.
the ocd only kicked in age eleven and a half.
general anxiety started so early i dont remember, guess i was too young to remember when it started. and rage attacks as a small child.
hyperactivity set in my early twenties.
you're born autistic, or NT. it's decided while you're in the womb. maybe bi polar and schizophrenia sometimes set in when the person is in his teens or even afterward, in which case the person remembers what's it like to be like everyone else, has an idea of what the others' worlds look like. with me, that is all i know. that is one of the reasons why aspies feel so isolated, misunderstood and not understanding others. this world can be very confusing sometimes.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 1:55 pm

Onset is at birth, and traits are often noticeable in infancy and definitely by early childhood, but serious difficulties may not arise and the connection may not be made between "weird child" and "autism" until later, e.g. adolescence, when eberrything gets more complicated.

If there were no traits in early childhood, and some traits appeared for the first time in adolescence, then I don't think that autism is likely to apply.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 3:17 pm

Traits or signs of autistic behavior must be present since birth, but as the DSM-V states, may be 'fully manifest' (obvious) only later. This 'later' is NOT a certain number of years, it can be anything between, say, 4-12.

Here is a poll that I started recently with similar subject: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt193985.html