Do you like physical contact?
Yes 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
no 84%  84%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 62

dank
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2012, 8:57 pm

My life partner can touch me whenever she wants. I don't mind it one bit. Anyone else I like to know it's coming. I don't like hugging anyone else, but I will do it if the situation calls on it.

I'm touchy with hats I wear. Once a friend removed my hat a few times. I told him to stop. He did it again. In a crowded bar I stood and shouted that I'd beat him if he did it again.

The anger it evokes in me, I can't describe it, it's so bloody stupid.

As for complete strangers, who's going to say they don't mind being touched by them?

nomadder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 9:05 pm

I can't answer yes or no. I'm a sometimes.

With a romantic partner, I'll enjoy all kinds of touching. But the initiation is difficult, even when I want touch. It's so hard to explain but it's like there is a barrier or wall there. I've learnt to break through it and trust it'll be good on the other side but it takes an enormous amount of effort. Like getting into a too hot bath, it's so uncomfortable at first until I can relax into it.

But strangers, acquaintances, friends - I dislike and only tolerate touch. My worst nightmare was once having an Italian boyfriend with an Italian family - you had to hug and kiss EVERY FAMILY MEMBER goodbye and they used full on body hugs. I used to hide but they'd hunt me down because someone would be offended if you didn't say goodbye.

And dating behavior - I started dreading first dates because it seems all the guys have read these how to seduce women, PUA, kino dating manuals. I'd be sitting there mentally waiting for them to implement the required touches - slight touch to forearm to signify warmth, touching my hand during conversation, hug goodbye, high fives. One guy wanted to dance in the carpark so grabbed my waist with both hands and leaned in far too close. Touch, Touch, Touch. I had to resist the urge to slap them. I just don't want to be touched until I like the person and I'm interested in them as a romantic partner.

AQ 23/50, EQSQ-R EQ 34 SQ 93 (Extreme Systemizer)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:20 pm

I thrive on back pats and hugs. I need that contact. I also love to give hugs, as well.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

I couldn't give a definite answer. Personally, I LOVE hugs, much to the point where I may give too many sometimes. On the other hand, I don't like unexpected light touches :? I have no idea why this is :?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:46 pm

NTAndrew wrote:
I didn't think so until recently. If someone touches me very lightly, it really bothers me.

This one person did that to me. I wanted to DIE! Not just die, I wanted to die, be chopped up and then have my remains incinerated until only atoms remain.

Does that qualify as touch sensitivity?

I'm gonna go with....yes.
:)

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2012, 9:53 pm

I hate when people touch me, especially if it's on my face or just my head in general. It used to drive me nuts when I was a kid but I just freeze now. These days I magically disappear when we have family coming in or getting ready to leave so I don't have to deal with it... They haven't really noticed that I do this, either. I guess that just means that my computer and I blend in very well with the wall.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:59 pm

A firm type of touch is ok. A hug, for instance.

A light touch makes my skin crawl.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2012, 10:01 pm

edgewaters wrote:

me too!! Ugh!! !

and I also need to know when it's coming.

spaceappleseed
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

The only person I actually enjoy being touched by is my husband. And even then it's only sometimes.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

I typically enjoy it when I know I'll be touched. Sometimes I dislike even when i'm forewarned. I normally have to wipe off where i was just touched as well.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

I get this a lot at the anime club at my college. Because I'm a girl, people who hardly even talk to me randomly hug me when they meet me or poke me, pat my head or even pull my cap off without warning in a joking matter. It really throws me off guard and makes me feel vulnerable and just pisses me off. I don't mind hugs from family members or close friends though. There are times I even want it. I hate most other forms of physical contact though. Especially pokes and tickles. God, I hate those. My skin is very sensitive so they're just pure torture for me.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

I hate being touched! Expecialy if its unexpected. I thinks its because i feel trapped. I only like it if make the first move (like sticking my arms out to hug some one rather then vise versa)

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2012, 12:15 am

leozelig wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

me too!! Ugh!! !

and I also need to know when it's coming.

^Both of these. Massively.

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2012, 1:00 am

In general I don't like it, but I do like hugs from people I love.

In an old job I had one colleague who was touchy-feely like you wouldn't believe. The desks in that office were positioned so that you had your back to the thoroughfares (a problem in itself) and every time this lady came to talk to me she'd touch - on the forearm, on the shoulder, on the back. I'd try to roll my chair away to indicate I didn't like it, but because she liked to stand so close that her halitosis-stained breath stirred the hair on my head, I usually ended up jammed against the desk, every muscle rigid.

In a more recent case, someone accidentally jabbed me with a fingernail on the forearm. I felt that touch for 10, 15 minutes, like it had set off a vibration in my nerves. So weird.

L

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 1:09 am

falonsayswoah wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I only like it when I want it. I do not like touch when I don't want it or when it's unexpected. One of the reasons why I don't like it is because I feel trapped and invaded.

I'm the same way. I'm not an affectionate person most of the time and I have a hard time initiating any contact unless it's with my younger sisters or mom. Sometimes I'm fine with people hugging and touching me (if I'm prepared for it), but other times it's just really uncomfortable. Other times I just do not want to be touched so I try to make that clear by standing further away from people or stepping back... Yeah.

When I first got married, I had to deal with lot of touch and I thought I was going to be hiding upstairs and doing my obsessions but I lasted that long. One of my husband's relatives picked up on me having issues with touch and asked him if I have any sensory issues and he said I did. Even though I was putting up with it, she could still tell I had a problem with it because one of her kids had problems with sensory too and needed therapy for it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 2:40 am

Sometimes I do but 80% of the time I do not unless its something simple like shaking hands or I expect it. If someone touches my shoulder out of nowhere it freaks me out. I keep thinking someone is going to want to hurt me. When it is from someone I like I dont mind hugs one bit. As a child I never liked hugs but through lots and lots of psychiatry I began to be more affectionate hug wise anyway after the age of 6. The first time I hugged my mother she bursted in tears with happyness.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList