Do you Think HFA and AS are the Same?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you think HFA and AS are the same thing?
Yes 46%  46%  [ 39 ]
No (please specify in a post how they differ) 54%  54%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 85

justarandomperson
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm

This is just a poll out of curiosity.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 10:58 pm

No because HFA generally means someone who is autistic and can speak and take care of themselves and live normal lives except they had a speech delay or developmental delay while aspies didn't have that.

But looking at it another way they are both the same because when you meet a HFA, they function at the AS level except they had a speech delay and developmental delay.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm

I actually voted "No" on this one because I think they do mean different things, but not in the way you would expect.

They are "the same thing" as far as any two cases of autism can ever be "the same thing"; but they are seen differently by psychologists. AS has a connotation of being a primarily social problem--social skills delay, etc.--and often associated with high intelligence. HFA, on the other hand, is seen as being more of a "disability" with more problems with everyday life, with a more obvious presentation. HFA will often be diagnosed in people who match the symptoms of AS and should be diagnosed AS, but are obviously autistic or have an IQ score from 80 to 100. And AS will be diagnosed in people who should actually have a classic autism diagnosis because they have learned to speak well after an early speech delay.

Despite there being no intrinsic difference between the two--not as far as treatment goes, not as far as daily life goes, not as far as cognitive style goes--the two are different because they represent a trend in external presentation, enough of a difference that psychologists see two different categories.

So I would say: They are not fundamentally different. But they look different enough to a psychologist that the range of possible presentations needs to be acknowledged.

At this point, HFA and AS are basically representative of two different stereotypes about autism which the profession is having a hard time reconciling with each other and with the real range of presentation as it differs from case to case across the breadth of the spectrum.

It's important to take note of it when the same thing can present in different ways; otherwise you won't recognize an atypical case. That's why we didn't realize that AS was so common for so long, because we were sure autism had to involve problems with speech.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 10 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 11:05 pm

I think the two are both the same end of the spectrum, but sit parallel to each other.
I'm awaiting diagnosis, I lean more towards AS but may well be HFA - I do think there is a difference.

I go with the idea of HFA having developmental differences in childhood, I would also say that there is a difference to how the two perceive the world and interact with it, I can see autism (LFA characteristics in lesser extent) in HFA's but not so much in AS. From my limited experience I definitely sense a difference between HFA and AS people, amongst males in particular there seems to be glaring difference in the way they interact with others - I can't pin-point what that difference is, but it's there. Come to think of it I can't seem to remember ever talking to a HFA female, I've only ever come across LFA females, hmmm...that'd be interesting to see if I think there's a difference there too.

*ducks from any incoming hostility for above opinion*

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Mar 2011, 11:48 pm

Bloodheart, Pensieve is an HFA woman.

I'm leaning toward Callista's answer.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm

I think HFA and AS are similar, but not the same condition. I kind of believe the DSM has made a bland version of AS that superficially is almost identical to HFA but I think Asperger's originial description of AS is pretty accurate to the true nature of the disorder.

For one thing I know a number of HFA kids who are in school with LFA kids because despite the LFAers having mental retardation/intellectual disability, many more HFA kids than AS ones are too severe to go to mainstream school. Not everyone with HFA develops verbal language and it is often more literal than their AS peers. In whole, I consider them more severe. I know many aspies hate being called "mild" but I believe many of us are. In my work with LFA kids I can't really relate to them. HFA kids seem much more similar than the AS ones. More likely to fixate on objects versus interests, less interested in socialization, more obviously autistic (stimming, meltdowns), and more problems with change. Aspies may be delayed in certain developmental areas, but HFAers more so. The problems aspies have may not fully present themselves until a later age when things like hygiene, and being independant are expected.

I'm not saying all HFA cases are like this, but I have observed it. I think the lanuage delay is pretty significant. It speaks to an intrinsic difference. I've heard AS described as "active but odd" - ASers try to form relationships but lack the intuition about social cues to do so. I don't think grouping them together because they are both of (somewhat) normal intelligence is the answer. I worry more research should be done on this.

Akari_Blue
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2011, 12:23 am

Bloodheart wrote:
Come to think of it I can't seem to remember ever talking to a HFA female, I've only ever come across LFA females, hmmm...that'd be interesting to see if I think there's a difference there too.

I'm an HFA female. From what I've seen, there are major differences between me and the people I know with aspergers far beyond just that I'm nonverbal and they all speak just fine. My motivations, what I enjoy and don't enjoy, my goals in life, what I dream about, what I want, what are my biggest difficulties, all radically different. I have nothing in common with people with aspergers, in my experience. Hence why I tend to read only occasionally on WP, and rarely post. I went without an account for years because I felt too little in common with anything written here to bother posting. Well, that and now I save up my words for my online journal.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:56 am

I think they are fairly similar, but not the same.

HFA: Has mild language problems.

AS: Doesn't have language problems, and may in fact, have superior language skills.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 12:56 am

This is something that interests me but I readily admit I don't know much and more people on this site know more than me.

I found this post ( http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthr ... #pid108238 ) on this thread from another site and the person referenced this book called, "The Asperger Plus Child: How to Identify and Help Children with Asperger Syndrome and Seven Common Co-Existing Conditions". This post said this book has a section on the differences between AS and HFA. I checked if my library has it but they don't and the price I saw was quite expensive especially just for me wanting to see one section of it. So I will likely not be able to see the book myself.

It looks like the post says that AS people focus on the particular and it's harder to see the big picture. I can't tell for sure from this post but it looks like it says that it may be the opposite for HFA's ( I'm not trying to pigeonhole with the labels I am simply trying to figure some things out for myself about the types or the various characteristics of the spectrum).

I myself am overwhelmed with the "bigness of everything", which I've described before, and so I think my focus on things like blenders and juicers (watching food being blended, squished and turned from solid into liquid and chopped up ) off and on this past year has to do with calming myself from being overwhelmed. I'm currently being helped to focus on more of the details of my life right now. I don't want to try to explain much further as it's too complicated and there's no need to, and I don't want anyone to attempt to analyze me personally.

Also, there's this article I quote below. by Donna Williams, But maybe not totally related to this thread ( I am not sure). She has a book called "Autism and Sensing" which I've thought about trying to read.

Quote:
DONNA WILLIAMS:
They are definitely two different experiences entirely.

There is NONVERBAL LANGUAGE DISORDER (disorder in NONVERBAL language systems such as body language, intonation, facial expression) and being FUNCTIONALLY NON VERBAL. Totally different conditions. Though those who have one can also have the other or have only one of these… same as one can have blond hair and be short or one or the other.

Now Social Emotional Agnosia seen in Aspergers is a NONVERBAL LANGUAGE DISORDER and means people can’t naturally perceive any meaning to facial expression, body language, intonation unless overtly taught it. This leads them to compensate through logic, intellect and because they generally don’t easily sense this missing realm they develop high intellect rather than high ability to sense pattern, theme, feel.
http://blog.donnawilliams.net/2010/10/04/2011/

Then in my attempt to research this I found this WP thread below that I will quote. I know it is about right/left brain which I've seen some people not like but I am thinking about these things to figure things out for myself not to create some theory or attempt at stereotyping anyone.

Quote:
criss wrote
"I found it v interesting when she mentions that being aspie you naturally see the world in a left brained way......seeing details but struggling to see the bigger picture. But with auties, it's the other way around. "
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt117839.html

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 2:02 am

Akari_Blue wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:
Come to think of it I can't seem to remember ever talking to a HFA female, I've only ever come across LFA females, hmmm...that'd be interesting to see if I think there's a difference there too.

I'm an HFA female. From what I've seen, there are major differences between me and the people I know with aspergers far beyond just that I'm nonverbal and they all speak just fine. My motivations, what I enjoy and don't enjoy, my goals in life, what I dream about, what I want, what are my biggest difficulties, all radically different. I have nothing in common with people with aspergers, in my experience. Hence why I tend to read only occasionally on WP, and rarely post. I went without an account for years because I felt too little in common with anything written here to bother posting. Well, that and now I save up my words for my online journal.

My four your old son has Autism and we have a friend who is a five who has AS. To me they seem even further apart from each other than they are from NTs. I can't see anything in common.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 4:41 am

I think there are differences in the thought process, probably sensory differences too , and I don't mean HFAutistics are lower on the spectrum, but like someone said, parallel. On a slightly different wavelenght maybe.
I tend to say i'm autisic, but on this board, there are "more real" autistic people, and i feel like a bisexual trying to convince a bunch of lesbians that I am just like them. It may be just a dumb feeling I get from having been rejected a lot in the past :D

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 4:46 am

nostromo wrote:
Akari_Blue wrote:
Bloodheart wrote:

My four your old son has Autism and we have a friend who is a five who has AS. To me they seem even further apart from each other than they are from NTs. I can't see anything in common.

My son borders between LFA and HFA on a day to day basis. I can definitely see the difference between him and an Aspie child of the same age. In fact i have many friends who have aspie and autistic children and my son is on the more severe end of functioning depending on the day.

I think looking at a 3,4 or even 7 year old who is using normal language even in an a-typical way that is isolating is separate to a 3,4,7 yr old who is only talking in ecolalia at that stage. Then we have to think about their vision of the world and how they grow up. this is the major difference between HFA and AS, esp in early adulthood.

So I'm never in a rush

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Mar 2011, 4:50 am

ediself wrote:
I think there are differences in the thought process, probably sensory differences too , and I don't mean HFAutistics are lower on the spectrum, but like someone said, parallel. On a slightly different wavelenght maybe.
I tend to say i'm autisic, but on this board, there are "more real" autistic people, and i feel like a bisexual trying to convince a bunch of lesbians that I am just like them. It may be just a dumb feeling I get from having been rejected a lot in the past :D

Based on the statements people make about "HFA* is like this and AS is like that" I have traits from both categories. I don't think there's a firm division although there are common tendencies.

Anyway, I say autistic. Asperger's is on the spectrum, after all.

* Because of the thread title. Still not a fan of functioning labels.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Mar 2011, 7:47 am

Akari_Blue wrote:

Could you be more specific about your differences, please?

The way I see it, the aspies here differ greatly amongst even each other, especially in respect to goals, dreams, and what they want in life. That being said I am sure there are differences considering that language delay can change brain wiring.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:48 am

Since there is no OBJECTIVE way of measuring, it seems like a discussion with low probability for good results.

By the standards of what most seem to think in this thread, I am Asperger-ish more than autistic-ish. Then I read anbuens posts and sometimes am struck by how closely her descriptions of her consciousness mirror mine. Her outward appearances are "classic autism". Mine are much closer to normal. I am just verbal and mobile, able to quickstep my way through a world that makes no real sense to me. But my mind functions in ways similar to hers or at least in ways similar to what she describes. So what's the difference?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 8:55 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Since there is no OBJECTIVE way of measuring, it seems like a discussion with low probability for good results.

By the standards of what most seem to think in this thread, I am Asperger-ish more than autistic-ish. Then I read anbuens posts and sometimes am struck by how closely her descriptions of her consciousness mirror mine. Her outward appearances are "classic autism". Mine are much closer to normal. I am just verbal and mobile, able to quickstep my way through a world that makes no real sense to me. But my mind functions in ways similar to hers or at least in ways similar to what she describes. So what's the difference?

Anbuend's writing is how I first realized I was on the spectrum ... years ago. There are definite differences between us, and I am not even sure where to suggest similarities may lie, but a lot of what she says resonates, and resonated years ago when I first concluded I was.