Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 10:58 pm

Sometimes people tell me I am out of touch with it....well what is it in the first place? I mean is it when you go to school every freaking day knowing the crap you're going to get. Is it when you wonder why everyone hates you? all because you're a little different and then they freak out on you for being paranoid....well they would be too, if they went through that crap.

You know what they're all just bricks in the wall.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:01 pm

Somebody's been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd lately. Why so serious?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:10 pm

I always listen to Pink Floyd...they knew what the hell was going on....I mean you know what I wonder about the 60's? I wonder why so many of them stopped and tried to conform to the BS that is society. I mean what the hell happened to people? Why conform to this crap....100 channels of sh*t on the T.V to choose from, well why watch the freaking thing in the first place. I stopped watching t.v for the most part and it's great cause the media only tells lies anyways.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2012, 11:13 pm

I was a nihilist for a short while. Then I stopped believing that nihilism existed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:15 pm

I wouldn't say I'm really a nihilist...but seriously sometimes I really do have to wonder what the hell the point of this is.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2012, 11:21 pm

That was a true story by the way. Being a nihilist is hard; I had to fight to do anything, because I denied that anything existed. I have just tried to accept that there is not an intrinsic meaning to life, and that it is assigned by the individual. Reality is whatever you accept it to be; my reality is different from a friend's reality and so forth, but we all present comparable realities to one another for the sake of communication. Maybe try to latch onto something to keep yourself from slipping from any notion of reality. I heard someone say that math is the only thing that makes sense to her, maybe it could work for you too. Personally, I have always accepted Christ as the ultimate reality, but I am not going to try and sell religion to you. Just do whatever feels right.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:25 pm

kBillingsley wrote:
That was a true story by the way. Being a nihilist is hard; I had to fight to do anything, because I denied that anything existed. I have just tried to accept that there is not an intrinsic meaning to life, and that it is assigned by the individual. Reality is whatever you accept it to be; my reality is different from a friend's reality and so forth, but we all present comparable realities to one another for the sake of communication. Maybe try to latch onto something to keep yourself from slipping from any notion of reality. I heard someone say that math is the only thing that makes sense to her, maybe it could work for you too. Personally, I have always accepted Christ as the ultimate reality, but I am not going to try and sell religion to you. Just do whatever feels right.

math makes no sense to me, and I gave up on religion a long time ago.............and I'm already slipping regardless of what I hold on to. I mean my whole world is just coming apart. So much stuff I was never even very aware of as a child is coming out. More or less the disturbing truth comes out and it's hard to deal with and it just gets quite confusing. I admit though I should probably stop here before I think about it too much.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm really a nihilist...but seriously sometimes I really do have to wonder what the hell the point of this is.

I've been a nihilist for a few years now, and this is one of the main things about the ideology that can really rub people the wrong way--and not without reason. I find a good way to counter it is to try to imagine a world where there is a "point". Would this not be a limit on freedom if there were some actions and thoughts and decisions which were inherently "better" because of their relation to some universal goal?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:32 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I always listen to Pink Floyd...they knew what the hell was going on....I mean you know what I wonder about the 60's? I wonder why so many of them stopped and tried to conform to the BS that is society. I mean what the hell happened to people?

One of my bands wrote a few songs about -exactly- this.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 11:46 pm

You made me smile, Sweetleaf because you'd know about '13 channels of sh*t on the TV to choose from.' Then again you're named after a Black Sabbath song so that means you're more mature than your age. So stop feeling so sad, girl. You're making ME sad!

conan
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:02 am

interesting topic and something that gets at me sometimes. I think i'd agree life is entirely pointless. The only thing that is constant for me is that sociability is something beneficial to almost everyone despite it's many downsides for aspies.

i was quite paranoid for a while a few years back and i can understand how it makes interaction so so much harder. for me there were all sorts of connections i was making and things i was seeing which were new and scary to me. i think i was ascribing bad intentions to any negative behaviour i saw in humans. i saw things in myself i did not like either which filled me with guilt and doubt. it seems to me you probably have a better understanding of reality than most people but that can actually be a problem i find. although it is a little simplistic i think there is good evidence to suggest part of what is required for happiness is a feeling of control which ultimately stems from a sort of delusion.
i think you can be aware of the nature of happiness and still enjoy it though.

for me to exist happily i have to live in a simplified or perhaps a compartmentalised reality where all the s**t in the world can be held at one side and disregarded as irrelevant to me at a given point in time so i can focus on other stuff. i often get a feeling, when i'm frustrated that there is just no way to succeed and that everything is against me. i do think there is a lot of s**t for a young aspie to deal with but i also try to recognise that this feeling is influenced by my mood at the time.

the only advice i can offer is to try to find what makes you happy and do that. try to have some short term plans that make life easier in the long term. from reading your posts i can tell you are intelligent so i know you will figure it out

Last edited by conan on 10 May 2012, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:09 am

Well I guess I will admit I was glad the song Run Like Hell at The Wall concert was dedicated to paranoid people like me at the concert I saw 8) great freaking concert. And I am doing my best to keep going but yeah one of the things I looked forward to was the slight chance I would see The Wall live and I have now so I now have to find something else to keep me going. That probably sounds stupid though.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:11 am

By their reality they probably mean some accepted overall view of how thing are in a general way. Honestly people who say that probably get a lot of their "Reality" from Teevee and Facebook.

Getting into a real discussion of what creation actually is is probably going way beyond what they're getting at.

Getting in touch with their "Reality" is probably closer to grasping street smarts or understanding the importance of following a sports team.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:20 am

I'd prefer having a time machine and going back in time and seeing them play when they were still young. Same with pretty much any band I like with members who are still alive but old. From videos at least, the older live shows seem so much better (music-wise) than the more recent ones.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:21 am

I'm glad you saw The Wall live, Sweetleaf. Now cheer up! I'd wanted to go but I've stopped going out to shows and what not. Yeah, I'm missing a lot of events because I'm alone, but who knows. Maybe I'll snap out of it one day. Probably this summer's Batman flick might drag me out of my comfort zone. Who knows?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:38 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean you know what I wonder about the 60's? I wonder why so many of them stopped and tried to conform to the BS that is society. I mean what the hell happened to people?

Basically ... they needed money ... to pay for the things they needed and wanted, to raise their kids as well or better than they'd been raised, to be independant, etc

Attempts to live outside the system mostly failed to meet long-term needs and security.