Have you read "the Little Prince" of Antoine de Sa

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ddanne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 May 2012, 8:39 pm

I read it for first time when I was 7 or 8, and I was so badly sick.
I remember feeling a huge empathy with this "little prince". His thoughts were really like mine, and I would feel like it was wrote exactly from my mind.
Well, I won't bore you with my story of how I got obsessed with this beautiful character, but the day I started to read it, and realized he was just like me, I had one of the most terrible meltdowns that I could imagine, just because- "there's someone like me, but I can't meet him, because he doesn't exist".
If you have read it: what do you think about it?
Did you like that book?
Did you felt the same way?

-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 10:01 pm

I read it twice: when I was young, then during high school (mandatory reading).

I remember it as a very interesting book, a concentrate of powerful analogies and imagery.

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2012, 11:09 pm

I love this book! A colleague of mine gave it to me as a gift, because I reminded him of the Little Prince. I immediately identified with the character. Great book...it's one of my most valued possessions.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 11:23 pm

My former therapist gave me a copy at this book at the end of our last session together.

She was in tears when I left.

I really enjoyed this book and it was very easy to recognise myself in the character of The Little Prince.

I think I will re read it this weekend.

Thank you for reminding me.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:13 am

I have read it when I was a kid, but the biggest impression a sound record had on me. I remember I was a bit perplexed about the story, I couldn't figure out how exactly the fantasy and real world blended together.

It's interesting what you're writing about melting down about this character that was just like you. Well, I think I had a similar experience with another fictional character, Oliver Twist. When I first met with his story on the 1948 movie version, I immediately saw myself in him and got obssessed with him. I become hyper, told silly things to my classmates and virtually couldn't stop thinking about him...

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:35 am

My mother is a french teacher so she was reading me this book when i was 6-7 years old. It is one of my favorite!! I saw the movie too:
The Little Prince (1974) - i highly recommend it

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:49 am

I was read the book in Dutch when I was in primary school.
Tried to read it again in French in secondary school, but my French was nowhere near sufficient.

I liked the parts I understood.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:50 am

He's enchanting. He's also autistic.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:04 am

It's a very good book. I read it when I was 7 or 8 and then again something like 5 years ago. I think, it's one of those books that you can read at any age and you will still find something valuable in it.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:20 am

Yes, it is a very wise book and interesting, with a very deep philosophy

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:32 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
He's enchanting. He's also autistic.

Not totally obsesses but would happily watch an entire series in one sitting and the two recent movies back to back

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:50 pm

I read it when I was about 12, and honestly, didn't really like it. The portion describing Little Prince's travels to different planets was fun, but reading about his discomfort when interacting with other characters was unpleasant. I guess I saw myself in Little Prince, so it was no different than seeing the main character in a movie suffer.

ddanne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 May 2012, 1:32 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:

I think I will re read it this weekend.

Thank you for reminding me.

Oh, you're welcome !

OJani wrote:
It's interesting what you're writing about melting down about this character that was just like you. Well, I think I had a similar experience with another fictional character, Oliver Twist. When I first met with his story on the 1948 movie version, I immediately saw myself in him and got obssessed with him. I become hyper, told silly things to my classmates and virtually couldn't stop thinking about him...

I know that feeling. Would you please tell me, what is the Oliver Twist story about? I'd like to know about it.

-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 3:46 pm

ddanne wrote:
OJani wrote:

I know that feeling. Would you please tell me, what is the Oliver Twist story about? I'd like to know about it.

His story is about an orphan boy in the 19th century England. He is born in a workhouse, ill-treated and abused until he escapes to London, just to find himself in misery and among the company of thieves, pickpockets, who want to make him as one of them. He refuses this fate but his naivety costs a high-price for him, got arrested and almost convicted for pickpocketing that another boy did. In the end, after much suffering he is rescued by a gentleman who adopts him. The story is much more complicated than that, but this is the essence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Twist

I wasn't abused as a child though, only his feelings are similar to mine in some ways... must have something to do with my autistic traits.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2012, 5:56 pm

yep! and he is my avatar on here! :-)

Gnomey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2012, 12:10 am

AnotherKind wrote:
My mother is a french teacher so she was reading me this book when i was 6-7 years old. It is one of my favorite!! I saw the movie too:
The Little Prince (1974) - i highly recommend it

You can find the movie on youtube with a simple search. I remember seeing the movie but I was too young when it came out to understand it. I guess I should rewatch it.