Just checking and/or I have neither condition 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 75

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:09 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
She said that I could not have both AS and ADD

Techincally, she may be right. The DSM-IV seems to suggest that the two should be considered mutually exclusive. Which is odd, since apparently more than half of us w/AS also have ADHD, and I've been officially diagnosed with both...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

13 May 2012, 3:21 am

scubasteve wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

Techincally, she may be right. The DSM-IV seems to suggest that the two should be considered mutually exclusive. Which is odd, since apparently more than half of us w/AS also have ADHD, and I've been officially diagnosed with both...

This criteria will not exist in the DSM-5, as current research rather thoroughly counters it.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 7:24 am

I have ADHD and I received my ADHD diagnosis a few years after my diagnosis of autism.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:16 am

I think I do have ADHD, but I dare not mention this to my mother, so my diagnosis just contains Asperger's. In fact, I think I fit both criterias, but ADHD sometimes suit me better. You know, these two sort of overlap.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:50 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
I think I do have ADHD, but I dare not mention this to my mother, so my diagnosis just contains Asperger's. In fact, I think I fit both criterias, but ADHD sometimes suit me better. You know, these two sort of overlap.

There is one very important difference:

ADHD can be treated with medication.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:55 am

scubasteve wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:

There is one very important difference:

ADHD can be treated with medication.

Yeah. The ADHD guy in my band offered to share his Ritalin with me. :lol:

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:56 am

I have asperger and add

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:04 am

Heidi80 wrote:
I have asperger and add
+1

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2012, 6:36 pm

Diagnosed with autism might had add or adhd.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 6:50 pm

Heidi80 wrote:
I have asperger and add

Me too, but I also like to multiply.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2012, 3:53 am

ADHD was actually my first diagnosis when i was in first grade. I wasn't diagnosed with Autism until I was around 13.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:56 pm

Might I say, Blindspot149, I saw Lamb to the Slaughter for the first time this weekend, and your avatar creeps me out.

scubasteve wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

I was told that AS explains my attention difficulties, but in a very vague manner that alluded to me not being able to have both.

But I wonder if it is possible. I see that there are many people on this forum who have both diagnoses.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

deltafunction wrote:
Might I say, Blindspot149, I saw Lamb to the Slaughter for the first time this weekend, and your avatar creeps me out.

scubasteve wrote:
poopylungstuffing wrote:

I was told that AS explains my attention difficulties, but in a very vague manner that alluded to me not being able to have both.

But I wonder if it is possible. I see that there are many people on this forum who have both diagnoses.

Yes, it's possible. As I said above the assumption you can't have both is outdated.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm

My paper says 'ADHD, depression and GAD'
I take a generic of Adderall XR 20 and the depressive symptoms went from chronic (21 days or more a month) with no tangible highs or lows to less frequent (2-10 days a month) with MDs and suicidal feelings

I would much rather have the more intense depression with fewer occurrences than the constant fog under so-called antidepressants

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:49 pm

If your antidepressants are causing fog, they may be the wrong medication or too high a dosage.

I take 50 mg of Zoloft/day and I don't have any fog and generally less depression and a lot less anxiety. I also don't seem to stim quite as much which I actually don't like, but I am willing to deal with that when the first thought upon going somewhere is trying to work out how many different ways an accident can happen and what I need to do in each case. I really appreciate not constantly worrying about unlikely worst case scenarios.

I suspect 50 mg is too high a dosage, though. I've spent most of my time on 25 because it worked just as well for the anxiety. I went up to 50 in the past few months because the depression was getting worse and I had more continuous suicidal ideation.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 2:00 am

I had a diagnosis of ADHD when I was younger but have never been diagnosed ASD. I suspect it though due to my obsessive interests, difficulty with organization, poor short term memory, pedantic, literal speech, attention to detail and social problems. This is why I note it in my signature as I do not want to misrepresent myself as being something I may not be. To me, that would be disrespectful to those who are on the spectrum and that is the last thing I want to do.