Yes 61%  61%  [ 46 ]
No - I only have one of these conditions 32%  32%  [ 24 ]
Just checking and/or I have neither condition 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 75

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

I am just curious, if anyone knows the answer.

What is the difference between attention problems in AS, versus attention problems in co-morbid AS and ADHD?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

deltafunction wrote:
I am just curious, if anyone knows the answer.

What is the difference between attention problems in AS, versus attention problems in co-morbid AS and ADHD?

I don't think even the scientific community really have a definitive answer to this yet. I want to know the answer to this as well.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's (which will soon be ASD) and with ADD (which would now be ADHD PI). :)

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2012, 3:23 am

I have been diagnosed with both.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 3:26 am

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 6:31 pm

I was officially diagnosed for Asperger's and depression. However, I'm pretty certain that I also have ADHD despite the fact that I was tested for it when I was four but the doctor didn't think that I had it.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm

I have AS but not ADHD or any other co-morbids.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2012, 6:22 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
I think I do have ADHD, but I dare not mention this to my mother, so my diagnosis just contains Asperger's. In fact, I think I fit both criterias, but ADHD sometimes suit me better. You know, these two sort of overlap.

That's funny because I was more scared about telling my Mum about the AS Dx than the ADHD one. :P However, my current psych isn't too sure about the ADHD and thinks it might just be part of the AS. But I'm not too worried about it at the moment, since I'm still being treated for the ADHD with meds and it's working wonders.

Thinking back, it was actually the ADHD Dx that made it easier to get an AS one, as no one really took me seriously about my AS suspicions until I mentioned the ADHD and that I "just wanted to rule out other possibilities".

http://linguisticautistic.tumblr.com/

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

outofplace wrote:
I had a diagnosis of ADHD when I was younger but have never been diagnosed ASD. I suspect it though due to my obsessive interests, difficulty with organization, poor short term memory, pedantic, literal speech, attention to detail and social problems. This is why I note it in my signature as I do not want to misrepresent myself as being something I may not be. To me, that would be disrespectful to those who are on the spectrum and that is the last thing I want to do.

This sounds a lot like me..symptom wise. ..I was not assessed or diagnosed with having anything until I was an adult.. or anything that I was told about.. I was given some manner of special treatment but never labelled

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

Verdandi wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
Well I don't think it's really as high as 66%. (That's probably a result of more people w/ADHD being interested in this thread.) But obviously we are not alone here... In fact, I often wonder if there is a much closer relationship between ASD and ADHD than we currently know... I wonder if this is not comorbidity of two distinct disorders, but rather, a combination of traits that occur along a single spectrum.

Some studies have found as many as 60-75% of people diagnosed with an ASD meeting the criteria for ADHD. Several studies found lower, although I suspect that the lower the percentage, the more likely the study is missing something.

I think that it is lower, but that many symptoms are overlapping and that both are related to each other.
I believe that this combination is highly overdx.

I was once dx with ADHD with autistic tendencies and than got redx in the same year with HFA.