Help not losing job/getting equal chance to advance

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Letsrave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2012, 1:32 am

I've been working for a company for about 10 years. I get write ups constantly for things I do wrong. I know I am supposed to do things by the book, but never think about it, skip steps I deem unnecessarily. I also have trouble getting to work on time and take benzo's/SSRIs for anxiety.
Do I have any protections I can take for job security. I so badly do not want to lob my just but It seems like I keep getting closer and closer to it. I want to move up, I work hard, but Im socially awkward and cut corners. I'm great with computers and at math, I have some things I can bring to the table, but my attendance kills my chances. I have 4 alarm clocks and slight OCD because I shut them all off but dont remember doing it, then wake up late to work freaking out.
Is there any way I can be absolved of responsibility for my attendance and do I qualify for any protections due to my anxiety or autism?

Letsrave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2012, 8:03 am

help?

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2012, 9:00 am

I think it is going to be very difficult to get a promotion with an attendance problem. If you are officially DX'd, they may not can fire you over it, but I don't think they would be required to promote you.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong...

Wondering81
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2012, 9:18 am

Not sure what it's like in the US, but I suppose a diagnosis with a particular description of the problems you have, like not getting up in the mornings might help? Plus some official info about Asperger showing the traits you have.

First, your employer might see that there is a enormous difference between for instance a person not getting up in the mornings because he is lazy / does too many things in the evening, and a person that can't help it even if he is really, really trying, due to an internal disorder.
If your manager does not see this, I suppose these shortcomings would qualify as a handicap, so that anti discrimination laws might come into play.

I suppose you have to work with yourself as well, though. If you don't understand the reason to do things according to procedures, ask nicely for an explanation - if you understand that there is actually a way to do things the way they are supposed to, it might be easier for you to accept those procedures and act accordingly?

I would ask for a meeting with your supervisor (or the person above him/her if the chemistry isn't right), and give them all the negative and positive sides about yourself (relevant for the job). That way, you could explain your shortcomings and see if there is a solution to these. Do you really need to be there in the morning? Do you really need to come in every day, or can you work from home? Are you willing to accept guidance in social situations, so as to minimize your problems with the other employees?
And also give good info about your strengths: In what areas can the company really benefit from your competence? Remind them about projects where you made a difference. How can they make you bloom, something that will benefit them as well?

To sum up how I, as a boss, would like this to be done:
Learn that there are traits about you that are difficult for you to modify due to having Asperger. Get good info about this, to see that it is actually an accepted "diagnosis", and not just an exuse.
See a willingness from your side to make an effort to understand the company's ways of doing things, if getting better explanations.
See that you see your own shortcomings, but that you are willing to be guided by your colleagues. In my case, that would be the ability to go through the issues the company sees as problematic, and discuss how this can be solved / worked around. Both parties are likely to make concessions here.
See if your workday can be changed in any ways, making your situation easier and facilitate your full potential. without compromising the company's needs.

I would also have to be reminded about why you actually are a valuable asset for the company, and not only focus on the problems.
I would also appreciate to get an idea of how you might be an even more valuable employee if these changes were implemented.
If your assets really out valued the problematic sides, and there was a way I could promote you without jeopardizing the wellbeing of the other employees, I might eventually promote you.

Without a good understanding of Asperger though, I am quite sure i would have considered you to be a sloppy employee not worthy of any promotion.

Finally, if you indeed have a diagnosis, and you seemed to not get you view through, it might be necessary, in a nice way, to remind the company that there are anti discrimination laws that actually protects you and demands that the work environment should be beneficial for you as well.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 9:28 am

You obviously are not getting enough sleep. Go to sleep earlier. Also you may need more than the usual 8-9 hours. Some people do. If a couple of weeks of getting more sleep doesn't help, another possibility is that you may have sleep apnea. You will need a sleep study at a sleep clinic to verify this and to find out how severe it is. There are ways to treat this. I have it myself and have a CPAP machine to help me breathe while sleeping.

With sleep apnea the palate at the back of the throat collapses while sleeping, or the uvula (the thingy that hangs down) gets in the way while sleeping. This cuts off the air supply to the lungs. People end up waking up many times a night without realizing it, so that they can clear the blockage. Once they fall back to sleep again, the blockage occurs again, and when they need air again, they have another micro wake period to get another dose of air. This condition causes unrestful sleep, and leaves the sufferer in a constant state of exhaustion. It is also not good for your heart, lungs, or brain. So, if a couple of weeks of going to bed earlier doesn't help you get more rest, do look into having a sleep study done.

As for your other work issues, you really do need to do a better job of following company procedures. If you don't already have one, make a list of those procedures, or request one from a superior at work.

Getting more rest, and having that list to work with should help reduce your anxiety and stress levels. Good luck!

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 11:09 am

Letsrave wrote:
I've been working for a company for about 10 years. I get write ups constantly for things I do wrong. I know I am supposed to do things by the book, but never think about it, skip steps I deem unnecessarily. I also have trouble getting to work on time and take benzo's/SSRIs for anxiety.
Do I have any protections I can take for job security. I so badly do not want to lob my just but It seems like I keep getting closer and closer to it. I want to move up, I work hard, but Im socially awkward and cut corners. I'm great with computers and at math, I have some things I can bring to the table, but my attendance kills my chances. I have 4 alarm clocks and slight OCD because I shut them all off but dont remember doing it, then wake up late to work freaking out.
Is there any way I can be absolved of responsibility for my attendance and do I qualify for any protections due to my anxiety or autism?

Okay, reality check. There are about 100 recent college graduates who are probably just as good, and willing to give your boss less BS in the "skipping steps I deem unnecessary", and getting their little butts to work on time. And would probably do it for free as an internship. If you are becoming a big enough pain, your boss might even take a lesser talented drone, just to get you out of his hair.

The above is meant to be harsh, cause you are skating on really really thin ice.

My state is an "at will state", meaning short of out right discrimination, (firing because of sexual orientation, race, religion or disability*), having a written contract, or in a union, you can get s**t canned for any reason. The boss is feeling cranky, and his niece needs a job. You're tossed to the curb. It is legal and happens all the time. Most states in the US are "at will".

* meaning there are caveats to what is a disability, and he can't fire you if you are doing a terrific job, but are diagnosed bipolar. He wants to a lesser load on the insurance premiums, and you being gone might do it. That type of firing is illegal.

I see you are on psych meds. What the does your therapist/shrink/whoever say about your actions at work?

The problems you are having not following procedures and coming late to work is not exclusive to ASD. There are PLENTY of NTs who have issues in those departments (I have a coworker right now who is doing both). For you to claim it is because of ASD, is really going to be hard. You will need help from whoever is giving you psych medications. You'll need to come up with a working plan on how to nib both actions in the bud or at least scale it back. Do you have an official ASD diagnosis? That might give you a tiny ledge to hang on, but not much.

My Aspie husband got canned because of not following company procedures. Nothing huge, but when the higher muck mucks look at that sort of thing, it becomes a bigger issue. The only thing that saved him was being in a union. The ASD diagnosis didn't help as insubordination isn't considered exclusive to ASD. He is on permanent LOA because the company just doesn't want to deal with him any more.

I get that companies do insane stuff and do things that seem to work against their best interest. It isn't for you to decide. I work for a micromanaging freak. An absolute loon. I do things every single day that are time wasters, but I'm not the boss. I don't know absolutely everything in her job. I don't see the total big picture. One of the stupid things we have to do is required by my state, and must be documented and kept on file. Our boss finally told us this, as we had no clue. Most bosses don't feel they need to give the worker drones the whole back story on why things have to be done a certain way.

The short answer to your question, saying you have ASD or OCD will not be enough to keep you from getting fired. Especially if the boss doesn't know. If you do get fired, and come back claiming discrimination, the company will lawyer up so fast your head will spin.

As for the promotion, seriously, if you had a worker bee not following procedures and showing up late, would you give him a high 5, good job? Unless you are Bill Gates fab, and there is no one else on the planet that can your job, all us worker bees gotta walk the party line. Yeah, work can suck so bad it has vacuum.

Get back to your therapist. Get you pills adjusted if necessary. Come up with a plan, and ask for accommodations. Like coming in an hour later and staying later. My husband's company refused, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good Luck.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 4:28 pm

It's quite simple: if you aren't performing equally, you aren't going to advance equally.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Letsrave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2012, 5:47 pm

there seems to be some confusion as to my intentions. i am not looking to promote within my current position, I want to change my field of work within my comany. My current boss sticks his neck out for a me all the time and hes not the person ill be presenring to.

most of you seem to be completely speculating as to why i am Asking for help, and none of you seem to be saying anythingrequarding my actualy question

Letsrave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2012, 9:43 pm

Tawaki wrote:
Letsrave wrote:

Okay, reality check. There are about 100 recent college graduates who are probably just as good, and willing to give your boss less BS in the "skipping steps I deem unnecessary", and getting their little butts to work on time. And would probably do it for free as an internship. If you are becoming a big enough pain, your boss might even take a lesser talented drone, just to get you out of his hair.

The above is meant to be harsh, cause you are skating on really really thin ice.

My state is an "at will state", meaning short of out right discrimination, (firing because of sexual orientation, race, religion or disability*), having a written contract, or in a union, you can get sh** canned for any reason. The boss is feeling cranky, and his niece needs a job. You're tossed to the curb. It is legal and happens all the time. Most states in the US are "at will".

* meaning there are caveats to what is a disability, and he can't fire you if you are doing a terrific job, but are diagnosed bipolar. He wants to a lesser load on the insurance premiums, and you being gone might do it. That type of firing is illegal.

I see you are on psych meds. What the does your therapist/shrink/whoever say about your actions at work?

The problems you are having not following procedures and coming late to work is not exclusive to ASD. There are PLENTY of NTs who have issues in those departments (I have a coworker right now who is doing both). For you to claim it is because of ASD, is really going to be hard. You will need help from whoever is giving you psych medications. You'll need to come up with a working plan on how to nib both actions in the bud or at least scale it back. Do you have an official ASD diagnosis? That might give you a tiny ledge to hang on, but not much.

My Aspie husband got canned because of not following company procedures. Nothing huge, but when the higher muck mucks look at that sort of thing, it becomes a bigger issue. The only thing that saved him was being in a union. The ASD diagnosis didn't help as insubordination isn't considered exclusive to ASD. He is on permanent LOA because the company just doesn't want to deal with him any more.

I get that companies do insane stuff and do things that seem to work against their best interest. It isn't for you to decide. I work for a micromanaging freak. An absolute loon. I do things every single day that are time wasters, but I'm not the boss. I don't know absolutely everything in her job. I don't see the total big picture. One of the stupid things we have to do is required by my state, and must be documented and kept on file. Our boss finally told us this, as we had no clue. Most bosses don't feel they need to give the worker drones the whole back story on why things have to be done a certain way.

The short answer to your question, saying you have ASD or OCD will not be enough to keep you from getting fired. Especially if the boss doesn't know. If you do get fired, and come back claiming discrimination, the company will lawyer up so fast your head will spin.

As for the promotion, seriously, if you had a worker bee not following procedures and showing up late, would you give him a high 5, good job? Unless you are Bill Gates fab, and there is no one else on the planet that can your job, all us worker bees gotta walk the party line. Yeah, work can suck so bad it has vacuum.

Get back to your therapist. Get you pills adjusted if necessary. Come up with a plan, and ask for accommodations. Like coming in an hour later and staying later. My husband's company refused, but it can't hurt to ask.

Good Luck.

Ty for this excellent pot