Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:18 am

I've taken many IQ test in my life, either on the computers or
in school. Im usually around 105 to 115 range.One thing I've notice
is that so many aspie folks have IQ of 130 or higher. They seem to be
very good at math and science, yet I am very poor at math and science.

I recently checked my file and I was diagnose as aspergers. What I don't understand
is if I have aspergers why am I so ''dumb'' at the things aspies are traditional good at.
Or perhaps this is just a sterotype of aspie folks.
This has been bothering me for awhile, Thanks.

edit
I pretty sure I most likely suffer from Learning disabilty.
both as and LD have similiar condition so they can easy
get confuse

Last edited by billiscool on 03 Dec 2006, 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:22 am

If it'll help you feel better, I have an IQ of 132 and I'm extremely horrible when it comes to math and science.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:22 am

my IQ is 153.

I suck at math. really, truly, SUCK.

not everything is absolute. perhaps many people with AS are great in math and science.
it doesn't mean they *all* are.

you're not dumb. :)

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:29 am

I usually get scores in the range of 150 -160 on IQ tests. I excel at math and logic, but don't worry, having abilities in those areas doesn't make your life any better than not having abilities in those areas.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:34 am

Its been said to death, but its true, the results of an IQ test only tell how good you are at taking IQ tests.

And Aspies are people first, and aspies second. People are all different. You dont have to have a perfect match to AS.

I'm not.

dimensionaltraveler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2006, 1:35 am

Aspies do have have high IQs. I have had several tests in the past three years that have demostrated that I have had a high IQ. There is a link between high IQ as Aspergers.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 1:35 am

Mine is just a bit above average at around 115 thanks to my better than average puzzle solving abilities but I heard that the asperger savant Daniel Tammet has an IQ so high it cannot be accurately measured. I heard one estimate been made at 197

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 2:04 am

Well, MY IQ is up there ALSO! As I have said elsewhere here, I stink at math ALSO! There ARE a number of IQs(7 as I recall), and math is only ONE! As I recall, the last IQ test I took tested like 5(visual-spatial, verbal, analytical, math,general knowledge although I think there was only one score, as that is all I heard), and I think the math part was relatively perfunctory.

BTW apparently, AS people EXCEL at language, at least early on. That IS met with SOMEWHAT relative deficiencies in social skills and sometimes other things. The one requirement there is that they not be significant or debilitating. A deficiency in math is thus specified as possible.

BTW be happy with what you have. You can certainly build on it. I am trying to build on my math skills a bit. They will probably NEVER be where they could have been if I started when I wanted to, but I can certainly do some things far better than I can now, and I'm no slouch by average standards now. You may have a lot of knowledge in other areas others here don't have.

Steve

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 2:20 am

this is a typo sorry.

Last edited by billiscool on 03 Dec 2006, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 2:24 am

or maybe I have more of a learning disability then aspergers.
they both have similiar symptons so they can get confuse.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 2:52 am

Wait a SECOND! You have an IQ ranked 15% higher than average, and you call yourself a ret*d? You really AREN'T looking smart with the cusing and asterisks and all, but 15% IS above average.

I don't know you, but there is no real correlation between IQ and pay. I wish there were! I would probably be making TWICE what I am. Don't get me wrong, I AM making a LOT more than average. STILL, I could be making more.

Einstein was put on probation at his job as a patent clerk/assistant examiner. Apparantly, he was also basically demoted. I don't imagine he made anything commensurate with his IQ. BTW most of his intelligence was apparantly in the glial cells, and THEY GROW! YEP, you have that SAME potential. More and more of the old myths are being SHOT DOWN! I always suspected that, because a 20year old has to be smarter than a 10year old with a 100 IQ to have a 100 IQ! IQ=MA/CA*100, and CA increases by one EVERY YEAR! MA(Mental age or INTELLIGENCE) has to increase by the SAME percentage in order to keep the same IQ.

I DOUBT BG is even HALF as smart, but he is probably making more than all of us put together!

For all we know, you could have an eidetic memory. That is something I am TRYING to really get. Some even question if it REALLY exists. Less than 21% of kids and less than 6% of adults claim to have one. Frankly, I feel it MUST be lower. Few in computers can hold a candle to me in general knowledge, and I'm sure they could make ME look stupid if they had an eidetic memory.

BTW haven't you seen those sit coms? That REALLY HAPPENS!! !! ! People with a higher IQ are expected to do more, and have more confidence if THEY believe it, and it may be a self fulfilling prophecy! The REVERSE is also true. So you look at people that have IQs of 130+, and feel you are STUPID. Don't let that affect you like that. OK, I'll give you a HINT! My IQ isn't even 160 last I knew. Should I feel stupid because 3 or tested higher than I did? NO WAY! I'm trying to do better. NOT because I feel stupid, but because I want to start enjoying it again, I like learning, it prevents things like alzheimers, etc... HECK, I am envious of that kid I once was. I'm trying to get that all back.

BESIDES, YOUR YOUNG! You still have LOTS of potential there!

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 3:07 am

WOW,

NOW billiscool is saying he envies us because he has a leaning disability!

I MYSELF, and I admitted it HERE also, said that I had trouble with math and my ONLY saving grace there was that I am better than most. Still, for all I know, I might be worse than nearly everyone here.

One thing I have NEVER learned is how to be self deprecating so that the person I am speaking to feels better without them starting to make ME feel bad. I'm through with THAT.

Bill,

I wish you luck! I REALLY do! But I think 75% of learning is CONFIDENCE! 90% of its application is CONFIDENCE! Even if tesla NEVER made a mistake physically, I bet he made a LOT mentally. Even HE needed confidence. MOST successes ADMIT that. You shouldn't bite off more than you can chew, but you SHOULD at least try to chew all you have bitten!

Steve

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 3:14 am

My IQ is somewhere in the above-average range.

-SpaceCase

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 3:26 am

alot of folks with LD or similiar condition
can have average to above average IQ.
You guys just don't get it. Ok let me be more clear to ya guys.
Say you have no good social skills OK, we all can relate to that.
However you have trouble in all fields in life, just go to www.ldonline.org and the forum
and see what people with LD go threw.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 6:16 am

having AS does not equate to having a higher IQ. autism of any kind affects people of all IQs.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 8:13 am

Wait a second! That site says a learning disability includes:

Preschool

Speaks later than most children
Slow vocabulary growth, often unable to find the right word
Difficulty rhyming words
Trouble learning numbers, alphabet, days of the week, colors, shapes

Grades K-4

Slow to learn the connection between letters and sounds
Confuses basic words (run, eat, want)
Makes consistent reading and spelling errors including letter reversals (b/d), inversions (m/w), transpositions (felt/left), and substitutions (house/home)

Doesn't that exclude AS?

As for the spelling errors, I think we ALL make them. Some words I just never bothered to get down. I spell less than I used to, and tend to actually make more mistakes. Still, I don't think I have EVER made such big mistakes as indicated in the examples..

Also, LD seems to include all I ever thought it would. Bill, I don't think you are as bad off as you think. And you know what!?!? Depression and self pity DO feed on themselves. If you were happier, maybe you would have more to be happy about. SIMPLISTIC I know! MAN do I know! I think I FINALLY got over my depression a few months ago. In your case, however, I think it is fantastic advice!

Besides, if we are appear so much better, etc... It didn't come without a price, and everyone worked for it.

Even my entry into computers was LONG At one point, I studied every language I could that had the LEAST chance of succeeding, or looked neat. In reality, only one really took off. I later ended up learning more. BTW a computer language is a LOT easier to learn than a spoken language. Fewer words, less expected fluency, and easy correction. Computers DO require a more detailed level of understanding of the problem though.

And that came because I decided to move away from electronics! Now a phsyciatrist might have diagnosed me with ADHD THERE! One day, I just wasn't interested any more. I just saw the writing on the wall. Circuit boards were getting more involved, and I thought one day things like FPGA(which hadn't even been invented yet! I should have applied for a patent!! !), and computers would replace a lot of the intelligence. I liked the idea anyway! Most of the benefit with none of the fuss.

But HEY, I took my time with electronics and computers, and there was a lot of time to do such things. Heck, I got less tan 4 hours sleep last night! WOW!

Steve