Do words have different meanings for Americans than....

Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 9:42 pm

Then there's trunk and boot, and the whole tomato sauce ketchup thing. and isn't a pram a cradle??

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2006, 10:17 pm

I have also heard that what we in the US refer to as "bangs" is called "fringe" in the UK. Also, in the UK "pants" means underwear while in the US it means what the UKers call "trousers." In the US almost no one says "trousers."

Hm, I know some others but I can't think of them right now. I had a friend who went to live in Scotland for 3 months and he embarassed himself many times over the difference in words. He went into a store and asked if he could get a dressing room so he could try on "some pants" and they looked at him like he was insane and told him that they didn't sell "pants." This of course confused him, because he had an armload of jeans.

Oh yeah, I hear british people say "brilliant" a lot, and I'm not sure quite what it translates to when they say it. In the US it means "very intelligent" or "very bright" (as in lights, not smarts) I hear british people use the word "brilliant" to describe things like how their day way.

wedrifid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2006, 12:48 am

scrulie wrote:
SteveK wrote:
Yeah "american" is just another dialect of english. It is probably closer to british than australian is.

You reckon? That's interesting! I'm not disagreeing with you at all Steve I just always assumed Australian was closer to 'british' english! That may have more to do with the accent, I don't know! :)
I was interested too. If there is a difference between British and American spellings Australians take the british ones. If I write 'color' then I am wrong! As for slang... *shrug* We have some of our own. We watch Dr. Who or The Bill and we get some british slang. We watch most other things we get some American slang.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 2:27 am

Mnemosyne wrote:
In the US almost no one says "trousers."

"No-one uses trousers in the US" would call up an odd image to a UK ear.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 2:41 am

I met two people from Wales and Norway who used terms that confused me,not sure if I got them right

Jumper is a one piece outfit in US and a sweater in Europe
Clock is a time piece that hangs on the wall in US but I heard it used to refer to a watch(arm wear)
I have heard the term..."taking the piss out of someone"...what genius came up with that?....are you making the vomit beer or urinate?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 5:02 am

krex wrote:
I have heard the term..."taking the piss out of someone"...what genius came up with that?....are you making the vomit beer or urinate?

:lol: LMAO!! !!

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 6:37 am

Mnemosyne wrote:
I have also heard that what we in the US refer to as "bangs" is called "fringe" in the UK. Also, in the UK "pants" means underwear while in the US it means what the UKers call "trousers." In the US almost no one says "trousers."

Hm, I know some others but I can't think of them right now. I had a friend who went to live in Scotland for 3 months and he embarassed himself many times over the difference in words. He went into a store and asked if he could get a dressing room so he could try on "some pants" and they looked at him like he was insane and told him that they didn't sell "pants." This of course confused him, because he had an armload of jeans.

Oh yeah, I hear british people say "brilliant" a lot, and I'm not sure quite what it translates to when they say it. In the US it means "very intelligent" or "very bright" (as in lights, not smarts) I hear british people use the word "brilliant" to describe things like how their day way.

In the UK there's also an expression when you're not enjoying something or it's not going
to plan - " This is pants ! "
We use 'brilliant' to mean superb/wonderful/very good. The international airport at
Prestwick actually uses a slang Scottish expression 'Pure Dead Brilliant' (translates
something like Simply Altogether Wonderful) as their official logo,seen by all the tourists. It causes so much confusion that locals have urged the authorities to change it as the word 'dead' especially is disconcerting to non-English speakers.
There's another angle to all this when you take in foreign words,eg. to a French speaker a sign saying 'Sale Sale Sale' means 'Dirty Dirty Dirty'

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 6:52 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Then there's trunk and boot, and the whole tomato sauce ketchup thing. and isn't a pram a cradle??

pram is your 'baby carriage'. It's actually short for 'perambulator' but most British people
aren't even aware of the long version.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 11:08 am

Some samples of the Boston/ New England Dialect:

'Tonic'= Soda, or Soft Drink. (Ex. "Coke is better Tonic than Pepsi") -I think this is falling out of use. It is used primarily in Boston/Rhode Island area, and not in Northern New England.

'Bubbler'= Water Fountain. Also used primarily in the Boston/Rhode Island area, and not in northern New England.

'Wicked'= Really. Used as a descriptive modifier. (Ex. "That horn was wicked loud.") Used throughout northeastern New England. - I didn;t seem to hear it too much in Connecticut or Vermont.

'Pissa'= Descriptive modifier meaning 'fantastic', 'great', or 'awsome'. (Ex. "The (Wheel) Rims on that car are wicked pissa") --Used primarily in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and occaisionally in New Hampshire and Southern Maine.

'Spuckie'= Submarine sandwich, falling out of use, but is an Americanisation of the Italian name 'Spucadella' ,the type of bread that some Submarine sandwiches are made on. (Ex. 'I want a sausage on a spuckie with extra marinara and provelone instead of Mozzerella)

'Haul off of'= denotes a bit of drink, instead of or 'sip. (Ex. "Can I have a haul off that tonic?")

Also many New Englanders use a negative modifier on words when asking a question.

Examples:

"Wouldn't you you like something to eat", instead of "Would you like something to eat."

"Couldn't you get the phone fo me' as opposed to "Could you get the phone fo me."

Last edited by Fogman on 18 Nov 2006, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 2:39 pm

North America: "Suspenders" are what I use to keep my pants (trousers) from falling down. In the UK, "Suspenders" are generally not worn by men... :lol: (And what I use to keep my pants up are called "Braces" in the UK.)

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 2:53 pm

Fogman wrote:
Some samples of the Boston/ New England Dialect:

'Tonic'= Soda, or Soft Drink. (Ex. "Coke is better Tonic than Pepsi") -I think this is falling out of use. It is used primarily in Boston/Rhode Island area, and not in Northern New England.
"

In Glasgow/west of Scotland the term 'ginger' is often used to describe any soft drink,
whether it be lemonade,coke etc
Despite growing up in Glasgow I have absolutely no idea why this should be,as it doesn't
make sense !

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 4:51 pm

The British tend to say "I'm sorry." a lot and they mean it. Americans say it in a different context and they don't say it, at the same frequency.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 4:52 pm

I would also like to add that I don't have anything against Americans.

TheSynic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Nov 2006, 6:14 pm

yes

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 6:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
In the UK, Shag means to make out.

In the US, it means a type of carpet.

shag in US Trucking means to run a trailer or load across town as opposed to and intercity shipment.

Some guy from Bostom asked where the bubbler was 8O he was looking for the drinking fountain.Water cooler or whatever the thing is called.

People from the appalachian mountains have mangled the english launguage real bad and parts of louisiana are real bad also.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 2:44 pm

Hehe I was born and raised in south Louisiana. Took a long time for me to stop speaking creole :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane