Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

squier
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 1:44 pm

for some reason, whenever i get a toy (and sometimes whenever my parents get something) that shows some type of lifelike trait, i name it
roomba: bart
robopet: russ
roboreptile: willits
tigger ( i have had it since i was 1.5): hobbes

it's kinda weird, does anyone else do this too?

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 1:56 pm

I love cats and my family used to give me tons of stuffed cats when I was younger. I still have them. They ALL have names.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 1:56 pm

I name houses in our neighborhood.

Rude House

Ark House

Triangle House

and so on ...

Holmesian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2013, 3:29 pm

I name my electronics.
Laptop: Jonathan (Last one's name was Rooster.)
MP3 Player: I.M. Lost
Phone: @*#$! (I ought not type what I sometimes call it.)
Kindle: Dustfinger

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2013, 4:11 pm

I think NTs do this as well. Depending on how I'm feeling, I either name creatively or factually.

My housemate and I named all the appliances in our house. We even gave them backstories.
Our fridge is called Lloyd, who is in a long-distance relationship with our kettle Jerry, and hates his neighbour Boris (the microwave). Penny, the washing machine, is married to Mike, our tumble-dryer, and their daughter Vicky is a toaster in a rebellious phase and insists on spelling her name Vicki.

My car is called Vodka. Partly because the numberplate is VOK, but also because it's funny to name a car after alcohol, as the two should not be mixed.

I still have a few cuddly toys too, including King Flopsy the 2nd (I lost the original King Flopsy at an airport when my family went on holiday and was inconsolable for ages, so my parents hurried to get me an almost exact replica - the 2nd is a larger version of the same stuffed rabbit).

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 5:47 pm

I have some stuffed animals, toys, and Christmas ornaments (mostly cats) that I have named. Some include Delilah, ET, Ninja, and Brittany, just to name a few.

servicedogrights25
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2013, 7:04 pm

*ahem*

I'm an Aspie, fifteen years old, as a matter of fact. I have numerous toys and stuffdies that I have named.
I think some of the more famous ones are my American Girl Dolls, which I am thinking of seriously collecting (I have an original Pleasant Company Molly!). But anyway, I think it would be my Just Like You Doll that it really well-known around here. Her name is Elizabeth Faye _______ (last name). She likes strawberry ice cream, roller skating, and the little black cat named Licorice (TOTAL opposite of me!).

There's also Jetta, a ragdoll in flannel from the late 90's or early 2000's...and of course, my lovely...

Able! I just got him for Christmas. He's the closest thing I have to a service dog right now. He is 45'' long, and looks like a HUGE Chocolate Lab! He is gonna be jea-lous when my service dog comes home with me :)

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 5:08 am

have a lot of stuffed animals that i love but for some reason i dont name them, well my snowman is called snowman and my dolphin is called dolphin but i did not name them, because they are the names of the animal, i do love my stuffed animals so i dont know why i dont name them. my peter rabbit is called peter, because thats his actual name. oh and i call my stuffed cat kittie.

but my favourite is snowman as i cuddle him to go to sleep, i am 18 so maybe it i a bit weird. :)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 6:00 pm

Yes, most of my toys had names. I thought all children named their dolls and plush animals??!
I don't think I named all my toy cars, but in my mind they did have personalities.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Spuggey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2013, 7:16 pm

I name my electrical s (computers, phones, iPads, iPods)...

My current batch are Ramon, Zero, Vogel and Xavi.

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 6:38 pm

I named the machines I work with Heinrich, Charlene, Dixon, Micho/Michael and Daphne. Charlene came from Private Pyle's rifle in the movie Full Metal Jacket and Dixon came from The Walking Dead. My Moris are named Tito, after Josip Broz Tito and Gerhardt.

I have an action figure of the well zombie from The Walking Dead on my dashboard I named Chunkers and my Auto's name is Uwe.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:31 pm

yes, i name my door closers,

LCN 4040 XP= Lou (wordplay on inventor's first name)

LCN 4110=Lea (sounded female, and from when i was in middle school, all female bathroom doors had a right hand door, all male bathrooms had left hand swing doors, since the 4110 came off a right hand door, gave that one the name of Lea

norton 7700, another that came off a right hand door, Charlene

norton 1600 (one in my display image here) just "Norton" another that came off right hand door, but has a gender neutral name

russwin #52 (potbelly/traditional door closer from 1952) named Russell

Rixson series #28(floor closer) Rick

norton door check & Spring (old pneumatic closer from 1880's) Carey (inventor's middle name who made the first american door closer)

dorma (7400 series "slimline" closer) Dorma

Sargent screen door closer= Sarge

Drehmaschine, I remember watching movie full metal jacket and the one guy naming his rifle

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 7:59 am

doordoctor wrote:

LCN 4110=Lea (sounded female, and from when i was in middle school, all female bathroom doors had a right hand door, all male bathrooms had left hand swing doors, since the 4110 came off a right hand door, gave that one the name of Lea

norton 1600 (one in my display image here) just "Norton" another that came off right hand door, but has a gender neutral name

norton door check & Spring (old pneumatic closer from 1880's) Carey (inventor's middle name who made the first american door closer)

Drehmaschine, I remember watching movie full metal jacket and the one guy naming his rifle

Nice names. Russell sounds like a name for a big person, like Russell from Gorillaz so I guess it fits.
By the way, Tito is the Mori (SL-303) in my Avatar, in the ad before I bought him. I fixed the rigged up part rest and got a new transparent panel for the sensor in the Tailstock, which was almost impossible.

Emilykin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2013, 8:21 am

squier wrote:
for some reason, whenever i get a toy (and sometimes whenever my parents get something) that shows some type of lifelike trait, i name it
roomba: bart
robopet: russ
roboreptile: willits
tigger ( i have had it since i was 1.5): hobbes

it's kinda weird, does anyone else do this too?

I don't think its weird at all! I have a toy collection that overflows 2 closets and two storage bins and I must proudly say not one of my toys have gone without a name!! !

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 8:25 am

Drehmaschine wrote:
doordoctor wrote:

Nice names. Russell sounds like a name for a big person, like Russell from Gorillaz so I guess it fits.
By the way, Tito is the Mori (SL-303) in my Avatar, in the ad before I bought him. I fixed the rigged up part rest and got a new transparent panel for the sensor in the Tailstock, which was almost impossible.

hallo Drehmaschine,

Russell yes is a heavy closer, he is about 8 lbs (lightest of cast iron closers i have) I found Russell next door when helping my mom and her freinds clean out the leftovers from when the owner died, my mom knew him and wife of owner, so i went over with her to help sort stuff, and owner knew i loved door closers, so she gave me Russell in 2001,

its great that you take good care of Tito, if you take care of him, he will provide you with years of service without problems,

when did you buy Tito?? how old is he??

my closers ages,

Lou: almost 2 years old, 38'th week of '11, (august 29'th to be exact, at 1030 am he was made at LCN closers plant in Princeton, IL)

Lea: 22 years old made 1st week of '91

Russwin: 61 years old, (month and day unknown when he was made)

Rick: 13 months made 4/18/12

Carey : 131 years old (yes, and still has spring power too! Aug 1, 1882)

Dorma, 24 years old, 9-89 (sept of '89)

norton, July 1992 (date code is 2 letters, GP)

charlene, Feb, 1991 (2 letter date code, BQ)

Sarge, his age and date of manufacture is unknown, he was first closer i got back in 1998 from a second hand store

-Jess

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 8:37 am

doordoctor wrote:
Drehmaschine wrote:
doordoctor wrote:

hallo Drehmaschine,

Russell yes is a heavy closer, he is about 8 lbs (lightest of cast iron closers i have) I found Russell next door when helping my mom and her freinds clean out the leftovers from when the owner died, my mom knew him and wife of owner, so i went over with her to help sort stuff, and owner knew i loved door closers, so she gave me Russell in 2001,

its great that you take good care of Tito, if you take care of him, he will provide you with years of service without problems,

when did you buy Tito?? how old is he??

my closers ages,

Lou: almost 2 years old, 38'th week of '11, (august 29'th to be exact, at 1030 am he was made at LCN closers plant in Princeton, IL)

Lea: 22 years old made 1st week of '91

Russwin: 61 years old, (month and day unknown when he was made)

Rick: 13 months made 4/18/12

Carey : 131 years old (yes, and still has spring power too! Aug 1, 1882)

Dorma, 24 years old, 9-89 (sept of '89)

norton, July 1992 (date code is 2 letters, GP)

charlene, Feb, 1991 (2 letter date code, BQ)

Sarge, his age and date of manufacture is unknown, he was first closer i got back in 1998 from a second hand store

-Jess

He's about 14 (1999). I bought him maybe 5 years ago from a company that remanufactures factory machinery. When I save enough money, I want to replace his chuck.