Do you find it easier to talk to strangers one on one than a

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:43 pm

group you already know? Here is an eample. I was at Biglots, waiting in line. This one older gentleman commented on how dreary the cashiers looked. I concurred. We then gotbinto a little conversation about where he was from (Albany) and was visiting friends who lived here. Next case, I was waiting for a ride, and I got into abdiscussion with someone around my age and chewed the fat. Any thoughts?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:23 pm

Actually, I find it a bit easier to talk to people in a group: not only do I not have to provide all of the socialization (as in I can be silent while others are talking) , but I feel less likely to be judged in a crowd, since each person in said crowd has more people to pay attention to than just me.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 5:37 pm

I always get frustrated in groups because I pick people out and I want to have a deeper conversation with just one person. I know it's the classic aspie frustration wanting to have a deep conversation when nobody does that. For some reason I get the idea that a one on one situation is more likely to become personal.

I prefer one on one conversations to group conversations but I'd also prefer talking to people I know a little bit more than talking with strangers.

I'd probably prefer to be alone with strangers though. One of the conversations I felt the best about recently was with a stranger while the subway was delayed.

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

I'm MUCH better talking one on one, both with people I know and strangers. The more people, the more uncomfortable I get. I think I was forced to learn this because my main career path has been in customer service -- retail grocery, libraries, reception -- so I HAD to be able to talk to people. But since you're only serving one customer at a time, you can just concentrate on them and not get nervous trying to serve everyone at once.

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2012, 8:26 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Actually, I find it a bit easier to talk to people in a group: not only do I not have to provide all of the socialization (as in I can be silent while others are talking) , but I feel less likely to be judged in a crowd, since each person in said crowd has more people to pay attention to than just me.

This is me, too. A small group is best for me. One to one can be a bit stressful, especially if the other person leaves the carrying the bulk of the conversation down to me. One of the drawbacks of being female is that we are seen as the more socially adept gender. In a small group there are others to take up some of the slack.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2012, 9:44 am

If it's someone that I like talking to alone, then I prefer one-on-one. If I need to say something important to a specific person, but others are constantly taking any chance I have, that can be bothersome. But if they're with someone I'm unfamiliar with, I definitely prefer more of a group. But at the same time when someone asks you a question, everyone is expecting you to answer and resume the conversation as quick as it was before. I feel less stressed in a one-on-one, since there aren't as many people waiting for your response. My final verdict would be that I prefer one-on-one overall.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 10:53 am

Usually prefer one on one.

It seems like when a group gets to be about 5 people a conversation flow develops where I have a hard time jumping in if I actually do want to participate and say something.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

One on one, I'm flat out frightened by groups UNLESS I am the person clearly assigned to lead a discussion or give a presentation... business. If it's social give and take, I get scared and flee. One and one is preferred.

Casstranquility
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2012, 12:27 pm

I think that the times I did talk to strangers I found it easier than talking to a group of people I already know. For one, there are no preconceived judgments, I'm not expected to be a certain way, and I may never see them again, so their opinion of me isn't that important. I can let down my guard, but I don't choose to do this often since I have severe social anxiety in all social situations. Groups are worse, especially if I know the people, because they are all focused on me and I don't trust them not to judge me in some way. I've been in a lot of Bible study groups and I would hardly speak a word.

An example of talking to a stranger, one time I was alone on an elevator with an elderly woman and I started talking to her. We were getting along fine and she asked me if she knew me. I said, "No, I'm just practicing being more social."
Years ago there was a kindly Reverend who started talking to me once after church services and I found myself telling him about my depression and that was a good conversation that I probably never would have offered to a group of people.

One time in a group of people that I know, the pastor of a church I go to asked me if I had any thoughts about what they had been discussing. I said "Yes, but I'm not sharing." He said that wasn't fair, but I still didn't share. Nor at any meeting of that group afterward. My thoughts were too personal.
I was in a group of people a few weeks ago and it was very uncomfortable for me, I felt like I was being questioned and forced to answer. I don't normally enter groups of people unless I'm sure I won't have to speak, but I was only trying to talk to one person in this particular circumstance. Other people were around and kind of involved themselves.

Let us comfort each other, and move tenderly when we are able. Let us hold hands and walk bravely, or fearfully together; for as long as there is Love, there is Hope, that everything will be okay, including the things we say are not.

lambey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2012, 3:02 pm

group of people i know or 1 on 1 with a stranger?

group of people i know - Easily. normally because those groups consist of a girl that i like which means i tend to just focus on them.