Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 4:48 am

I believe I have new neighbors in the trailer next door. The voices are different, the SUV is different, and there is now a bright, shiny, fairly new looking, and very LOUD motor cycle next door. I am not as sound sensitive as many others on the spectrum are, but I am somewhat sensitive. LOUD motor cycles definitely bother me. The MC is being kept parked on their patio, which is only a few yards from one of my living room windows. I sleep in the living room recliner due to sleep apnea. It is worse for me if I sleep in my bed. I also suffer from what I call "short sleep." I usually sleep 4-6 hours at a time. I also have IBS, and other health problems. Between all my health problems and not enough sleep, I have a very irregular sleep/wake schedule, and also must try to take naps. With the LOUD MC now living next door, that's going to make me lose even more sleep. AAAAHHHH!! !! :tired: The lawn mowers are definitely not as bad, and when I have the radio tuned to static, the mower sounds tend to blend somewhat with the static. The radio static doesn't work with the MC noise. The MC noise only blends with my stress to make more stress. And now with the warmer weather, the windows are open much of the time. However, even with the windows closed, that MC is too LOUD! There is nothing I can do about it, either. They have a right to use the MC during what are reasonable hours for most people, and so far they have kept to those hours. So I am stuck with a permanent case of LOUD next door, any time the owner gets the urge to go VROOOM! with his MC. :wall:

That trailer has had quite a turn over in residents since I moved here several years ago. Please, please let the trend of short occupancy there continue, at least through these people. :(

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 9:59 am

Motorcycles are one of my longtime interests, and I am definitely sensitive to the loud ones, I've made them quieter without taking away any performance and others have too, so I see the holdouts as those who would drive the biggest truck or other 'compensating' behavior

My local hell house is almost directly across the street; the tenants before the current ones made everyone before and since look tame with the noise, trash, pit bulls, fireworks, basketball, random people coming and going at all hours, ramming cars, screaming, battery and weekly 911 calls they generated in their year there

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

"Loud pipes save lives" I think the world could do with less loud pipes.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

Would it be good to have loud sounds coming out of your motorcycle because then cars nearby have an auditory warning that you are nearby, which is desirable considering you are much less visible than a car, is it not?

Either way, I also find their loudness annoying, even when I'm in another car on the road.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 6:27 pm

Yes, I hate my neighbours. They're always revving up an engine, driving around honking their horn, blasting loud country music from their garage and letting a child throw a 20 minute temper tantrum. It sucks because my bedroom is the worst place to hear my neighbours. Sometimes I need a break and I have to go somewhere else. Sometimes I feel like calling the police and giving them a noise warning but I haven't gotten that far yet. I could probably because they blast their music well into the night. Oh yeah, they're always lawn mowing or weed whacking their lawn at all hours of the day as well and they can never do it at once, everybody does it one after the other.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 3:21 am

I always thought it was evil that motorcycles are legal. Hopefully your neighbor(s) will ride off on the diabolical machine — permanently.

EQ: 6.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:50 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
I always thought it was evil that motorcycles are legal. Hopefully your neighbor(s) will ride off on the diabolical machine — permanently.

I usually call them "murdercycles."

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 10:23 am

Seriously, if Harley owners KNEW HOW TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE!! !! ! I wouldn't have a problem if almost all Harley riders didn't have a tic or palsy that makes them blip the throttle every 10 seconds. Like zero throttle control. Same goes for kids in their fart cannon equipped rice rockets w/automatic transmissions.... diesel rigpigs make me want to scream.

Sometimes I wish I had big push bumper on my van....

Loud pipes makes me want to kick a kitten.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:41 am

My bike is louder than stock but quieter than a lawn mower and I don't rev the engine unless I have too. I like it to sound nice but I don't want to be an annoyance. Most states have laws requiring mufflers on cars and bikes that conform to some standard or another. Look up your state laws and if they are in violation maybe the police could do something about it. I generally find people that are that obnoxious don't care about anyone else and will be unwilling to find any compromise but it might be worth a try. Perhaps they would push the bike to the road before they start it?

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:52 am

MarthaCannary wrote:
Seriously, if Harley owners KNEW HOW TO RIDE A MOTORCYCLE!! !! ! I wouldn't have a problem if almost all Harley riders didn't have a tic or palsy that makes them blip the throttle every 10 seconds. Like zero throttle control. Same goes for kids in their fart cannon equipped rice rockets w/automatic transmissions.... diesel rigpigs make me want to scream.

Sometimes I wish I had big push bumper on my van....

Loud pipes makes me want to kick a kitten.

When ever I come up to someone blipping the throttle at a stop sign I want to go over and ask them if they'd like me to fix their engine idle. I do however give my throttle a quick short turn just before I take off after sitting at idle. Sometimes carbureted engines gotta get cleared out before you try to go or they stutter.

anomy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

Atomsk wrote:
vanhalenkurtz wrote:

yep, it has to be the most grating sound ever made. I was trapped beside one at a traffic light not long ago and I thought I would go insane waiting that light out!

questor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

I don't think the guy is trying to be nasty. I think it is just a loud motorcycle. I do believe it could be quieter, though. Some guys are just into the loud ones. I think he is one of them, as he also revs it more than he has to, and will leave it running for several minutes before leaving, or when he gets back. So far, though, during the week, he only seems to use the motorcycle in late afternoon/evening hours, so I will try to manage my irregular sleeping schedule to avoid that time period. Weekends are more difficult, as he is liable to use it at any time of the day that he is around to do so.

I did say hi to a female member of the household who was going out when I was bringing in my garbage can recently, and she did say hi back. I don't think they are nasty people and don't want that to change. Since the guy does seem to use the cycle only late in the day on week days, I think I can manage around that.

I think they used the same method to move here that I did. The Beverly Hillbillies Method: Load up the pick-up truck. :lol: They've been doing it in multiple loads over a number of days. When I moved up here, we loaded (overloaded :lol:) up my younger brother's pickup, and loaded up my Cherokee. Besides packing the inside of my Jeep, there was stuff strapped on the roof racks. We made it in one trip. Before that I had never had a whole house of stuff, as I had always lived with other relatives. Hovever, I did have a lot of stuff of my own to haul, including lots of books, even though I went through my collection and weeded out a lot of them prior to the move.

If my neighbor keeps his weekday cycle noise confined to the late afternoon/evening hours I think I can manage okay. He does have a right to use it during normal waking hours. It's not his fault I have irregular, non normal hours for sleeping and waking.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:10 am

Atomsk wrote:

Witty. I might remember that.

EQ: 6.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2012, 3:16 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:

Please don't put all bikers in the same basket because of a few idiots.
I ride my motorcycle at weekends for a bit of fun.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:28 am

Motorcycles also bother my ears. Thank god no one in my neighborhood has any. If they do, at least they don't live right by me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.