Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

Anyone else like this?

when it comes to incandescent light bulbs they don't start to bother me until they're over 120w but florescent lights, CFL bulbs, and sunlight are physically painful. I have to wear sunglasses even on a cloudy day and I've had times where I step outside or into a place with florescent/ CFL bulbs and I freeze and can't move for a a minute or two from the shock and pain if I haven't put my sunglasses on.

I know light sensitivity is one of the sensory issues, but I'm wondering if anyone else is only bothered by certain types as well.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:17 pm

Bright lights bother the hell out of me i have to avert my eyes from the blinding lights and in prolonged exposure I get nasty headaches. I do like neon lights and black lights though.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

I don't like the CFLs, can only use them in a few of my household fixtures because of the buzz, I can hear it whereas it doesn't seem to bother many people. The quality of the light from them doesn't seem to be an issue for me. But bright sunlight... yes, absolutely, so naturally I live in the SW. I spend a lot more time indoors w/the shades drawn in the summer. And turing on a light in a dark room literally causes intense physical pain & is a tremendously good way to piss me off.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm

I have a 13watt mini CFL in the lamp over my desk, I can't hear it, at least not over top of my computer noise, it has a dark shade over it. Took me four tries to get the right bulb. So many cheap CFL's out there.

The tube fluorescent bank lighting I can always hear, the light flickers as well. Sucks when they all flicker at different frequencies...

The LED headlights in new vehicles is HARSH! Like a really harsh bluish white.

Don't get me started on Xenon headlights.

I have a touchpad dimmer switch with an incandescent in it, that thing squeals louder the lower you dim it..

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

MarthaCannary wrote:
I have a 13watt mini CFL in the lamp over my desk, I can't hear it, at least not over top of my computer noise, it has a dark shade over it. Took me four tries to get the right bulb. So many cheap CFL's out there.

Is there a brand & model you found or is it more just hoping to get the right individual bulb?

Quote:

Oh, god, yes. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 4:44 pm

Traditonal incandescent bulbs might be the best for us but they are being phased out, starting with 100 watt bulbs. But there are some still being sold in stores so stock up now!

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 4:58 pm

Yeah I have the issues with the flickering and buzzing or turning a light on in a dark room/ going from the dark to light, etc. too. It's too bad the incandescent ones are being phased out. Especially because of the dangers a CFL can pose 8O (have you ever read what you're supposed to do if one breaks!?)

With incandescent bulbs I can usually tolerate up to 100w without a problem, and 120w for a short period, but depending on the day even an 80w does me in with the headaches and stuff. My Mum likes 30 or 40w, but that makes my head hurt in a different way, because I have to strain to see things properly when I'm painting and stuff. Sensory issues suck!

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2012, 5:09 pm

definitely get problems with lights

This week was diagnosed with "visual stress"

I use claroview to tint my screen on the laptop - this cuts a lot of it out.

For everyday, yes I would wear sunglasses most of the time light does hurt my eyes

The optician said a lot of her clients with asperger's get visual stress, and that it is underdiagnosed.

They want me to wear irlen glasses - has anyone tried them?

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
MarthaCannary wrote:

Is there a brand & model you found or is it more just hoping to get the right individual bulb?

Quote:

Oh, god, yes. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

I was just after one that didn't flicker and didn't hum or squeal and wasn't too bright. I bought a pack of eight, I should be good for a long time.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 9:41 pm

I hate fluorescent lights and overhead lights. I wear a baseball cap when I have to sit under them. If I don't wear a baseball cap, then the lights flicker and make things look like they are flickering, and I get overloaded very quickly.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 5:39 pm

I wear sunglasses outside and a hat,if I don't wear shades when driving I can't see to drive.Even then if the light hits at a certain angle I am totally blind for a few seconds.Also the flash from a lot of cameras really hurts my eyes.I don't like bright overhead lights and all my lamps are low wattage.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

Oops,forgot this,I can't drive (or ride) in a car at night because the headlights from oncoming traffic really hurt my eyes and I just look stupid wearing shades at night.