Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Rakoku
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2012, 8:03 am

About 4 years ago when I was 12 or 13, I first read about Asperger's in an article and the description they gave fit me near perfectly. But I remember my mother thinking it was a bit vague and generalized, so I brushed it off. A few months ago for some reason it sparked my interest again, and, after several months of research on here and elsewhere, one of the major things I've learned is that people with Asperger's have meltdowns. The thing is, I've never had what I'd really say was a meltdown.

But, whenever I felt overwhelmed (by crowds or noise usually), I have this strong urge to cry and try to hide from whatever is bothering me. Now, I can resist that urge but when I was younger I did that a lot. I tried to control it but couldn't. When this happens, I shut down and don't talk to anyone. Could that be a type of meltdown? Otherwise, nothing of the sort. So instead of Asperger's, I'm probably just a quirky shy person then. :P

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 8:07 am

If you read DSM 4 criteria, meltdowns are not even listed. Yes they are mentioned in the description of ''side effects'' so to speak, but not in the criteria itself. Besides, even the things that are mentioned in the criteria you dont have to have all of them, only set number of traits (approx half of the ones listed). So if you can miss the listed symptoms and still be diagnosed, it is even more "legal" not to have meltdowns and be diagnosed.

I never had meltdowns until 21 and what started it at 21 is social rejection. So this makes me also wonder that perhaps meltdowns are the result of how society treats aspies as opposed to a feature of Asperger itself. But of course I only have an example of myself to look at and its possible other aspies are different.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2012, 8:08 am

I don't think meltdowns are mandatory, as my little brother is HFA and he has never had them, he rocks back and forth when nervous, but nothing in the definition of what a meltdown is. Since meltdowns are also not a diagnostic criteria I would logically assume they are not required to have aspergers.

AQ: 36

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 8:27 am

I have had them, but they're right - you don't have to have meltdowns to be diagnosed.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:11 am

I can't think of a time I have had a meltdown. I have rarely had a shutdown though.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

Delphiki wrote:
I can't think of a time I have had a meltdown. I have rarely had a shutdown though.

I never had a shutdown. My version of the meltdown is an anger issue; I am not sure if thats the same thing other aspies talk about since in my case anger has nothing to do with shutdowns which i don't have.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:57 am

In my 20s and most of my 30s I had the occasional unresolved response to anger and frustration that I would not consider to be MDs, those for me come out of a synergy of anger, fear, depression and failure at something trivial

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

I'm diagnosed and never had meltdowns. In fact, my mom said in my diagnostic interviews to the psychologist that I was a very, very easy baby/toddler. I cry really easily, but never been a screaming, angry type unless I'm heavily provoked.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

Not everybody was Asperger's necessarily will get a meltdown. You can be on the milder section of the spectrum or you might have it a bit worse than others. Also, the traits and symptoms vary according to the parson. I don't get meltdowns to the point of screaming and hand flapping kind of meltdown but I get episodes where I can't take crowds, especially when it's hot and I get really angry, anxious and frustrated and I just want to get the heck out of the crowd. Also, when I get over-stimulated and stressed out sometimes I break down and cry my eyes out from the stress, this usually happens when I can't take a job and I end up quitting.

Aquais94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2014, 10:28 pm

I posted 2 by accident

Last edited by Aquais94 on 21 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aquais94
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

I have Asperger's Syndrome-Like Atypical PDD-NOS and I have never had a single Meltdown in my life. But I only have normal temper tantrums, but My Anger is always goes by wants and goals, but Sometimes I prevent a tantrum, or hold it and get into a private room and let it go, also sometimes, it can echo into my brain hours after the tantrum and Get angry over Taunted Memories that I don't want. I have suspected PTSD, OCD, and ADD. and I believed that I was misdiagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

Agrestic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger's and NVLD as a toddler, so n=1.

But I have had blackout rage episodes where I physically attack people. I'm not sure what causes them, either.

Recently, I've also been revealed to be clinically depressed. So recently, I've had crying episodes more than I've had sheer rage episodes.

However, they do usually have triggers. My most recent one was because I felt like my boss was directly threatening my job and she's been bullying me for the past month.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 10:58 pm

I think I've only had 4 or 5 meltdowns in my life. I do have shutdowns much more frequently.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2014, 11:09 pm

Roman wrote:
So this makes me also wonder that perhaps meltdowns are the result of how society treats aspies as opposed to a feature of Asperger itself.

That's actually an interesting thought. I'd love to see if anyone has any links to studies that support or debunk this idea.

brackets
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2014, 1:05 am

I have shutdowns instead of meltdowns and I have an "official" diagnosis. Like everyone else has said, it's considered a common thing for people who have the disorder, rather than an actual symptom/requirement. If I remember correctly, sensory issues aren't technically required for a diagnosis either, despite most of us having them.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 1:22 am

I didn't start getting classic meltdowns until I was perhaps 19-20. My meltdowns are primarily due to frustration and anger, and the things that trigger anger now, only triggered fear and anxiety when I was younger, which explains why they only showed up recently. Even in the DSM-5 I do not believe meltdowns are listed as a criterion, and even if they were, it's very rare for autistics to have every symptom listed (except, as required, for the three social criteria under section A), so you could still have autism without meltdowns, even if they were part of the diagnostic criteria.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!