Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jul 2012, 6:31 am

Does anybody else find physical activity really relaxing?

I do kickboxing and find the harder I train the better I feel afterwards, I'm wondering if this is common

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:34 am

It's definitely the same with me. I always work out very rigorously. For example, one thing I do often is stairs - I run up and down a 3 story staircase, holding a wall sit for 1 minute 30 seconds every time I get to the bottom, and doing 20 pushups every time I get to the top - and I do this for an hour.

Afterwards, I feel really great - just awesome. And during it, I'm 'in the zone' so to speak, definitely enjoying it though, even though it's a lot of hard work. It's a great way to decompress my mind, or to help combat burnouts and such.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 9:47 am

Yes, I feel the same way. I have been a runner since I was 14, so I've been running varsity track and cross country since 9th grade. People think I'm crazy for distance running, but I find it relaxing. Even after a terrible work out, I feel amazing afterward. Running has worked as a stress reliever during the huge amounts of homework I have during the school year. Exercise has relieved a lot of the depression issues that I had in middle school. It can also lead to some awesome social opportunities as well. I guess exercise produces a fair amount of dopamine.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 11:01 am

I like to bike and skate. It definitely clears my mind.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2012, 2:11 pm

Yes. When I go out running for a long distance (i.e. 1+ mile(s)) at one time, it can really take my mind off my troubles and it usually feels great at the end of my run to know that I am capable of running a long-distance in a short period of time without stopping (i.e. running a mile in 7 minutes or less).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

I can spend up to 3 hours a day doing my Wii exercises.

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:24 pm

I wish I liked physical exercise. I don't like to volutarily sweat.

I used to like to ride my mountain bike but no longer have anyone to ride with and since I have to drive to any trails, going alone is no longer an option,

I also like to swim but cannot tolerate going to a gym or using a community pool. It also makes me annoyed when its a designated lap pool and you can't just free form swim if you want.

abstract
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jul 2012, 8:59 pm

Sorry, running is just not my thing. I really enjoy weightlifting as well as lengthy and intense bike rides.

kraven
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2012, 9:05 pm

I like doing heavy olympic lifts. Running (on a treadmill or in the wild streets) bores me to tears.
I like the release I get from heavy lifting. I get a lot of pent up aggression if I don't work out regularly.