Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

trinket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

Tomorrow being the 4th of July here in the US, means there are going to be TONS of fireworks! my neighbors started shooting off fire works at night about a week ago.
Now, I have problems with every-day sounds, much less LOUD fireworks.

What do you do about fireworks?

I plan on wearing ear-plugs and over the ear headphones
(oh BTW I have to go to a big fireworks display with my family... no-way out of it...)

Any suggestions? Coping mechanisms?

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

I'll be delivering pizza on the 4th, so I'll just have to deal with it. In past years it hasn't really been something that bothered me, but I am dealing with a lot of anxiety right now so the sudden loud noises have been negatively impacting me to a much greater degree than normal. However, I am always afraid that some drunken redneck will accidentally shoot something in my direction and it will go in the window of my car and explode. I guess I'll be driving with the windows closed and A/C on.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 12:46 pm

Rrrrg. People have been shooting them off for *weeks* here. I don't so much care about the fireworks themselves, although I find it quite annoying, but it wakes and upsets my parrots, which upsets me, because then they start screaming (for the record, they were my mom's, I inherited them, and I find it psychotically entertaining to get them to interact with me and the few people I allow into my home, because nothing had ever been done with them before. I'm learning to deal with the noise, albeit poorly...)

I have no defense :( Even ear plugs don't block out most of the high-pitch screeching, and it bothers me immensely to see them so upset by the noise.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 12:48 pm

I used to be terrified of the sound of fireworks when I was little. I don't mind it now. If you can't stand the noise you can wear ear plugs, use ear phones and listen to music, watch a movie or go to bed early. I don't know if you're a deep sleeper or not, either wear ear plugs or take sleeping pills.

trinket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2012, 12:53 pm

oh I feel for you!

My mum has a African grey, who was around before I was born and so she HATES me(took some attention away from her).

she finds it entertaining to scream all the sounds I can't stand(because she knows I'll react, I've tried not reacting, but I'm not able to stop myself, she's caused more meltdowns then anything else)

We used to have a rescued Amazon, who would scream, which I also had a hard time with, but not as hard of a time as I have with the african grey(who mimicked the Amazon's noises, but MUCH louder, and sarcastically)

It seems so unreal that something so small is able to make such loud noises.

Emily(the grey) Loves lots of noise, so fireworks don't upset her, she just gets excited and makes a lot of noise back, it's a game to her(same as if the TV's on, or the radio)

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2012, 12:56 pm

Thank goodness they are illegal in the city I live in, not that everyone will follow it. I know my neighbors will be playing really loud music. I plan to sleep early tomorrow, about 8pm.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

I'm not doing anything for the fourth of July but I saw some fireworks a while ago. I was sitting close to where they went off and they were right over my head. They were too loud and I had to cover my ears for part of it and with some there was such a loud boom it felt like getting hit in the chest.

The main fireworks they have in my area were last Friday so I already missed them.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

<--- Doesn't do fireworks.

<--- Doesn't waste his time going to fireworks shows.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 2:45 pm

I happen to live in a city that banned "safe and sane" fireworks, but there are neighboring cities that do sell them, so enforcing that law keeps the police busy the first few days of July. As for me, I don't mind fireworks as when I was a child, I went to a show for many years where you could get right across a residential street from where they were shot from, and they exploded right over your head. I guess it desensitized me to them, to where they have never been an issue.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2012, 2:57 pm

I may wander out on the deck and watch the neighbors act like lunatics with the noisemakers, but don't plan to go to any displays.

I enjoy the display itself, but dislike the noise -- my traditional solution is to keep my fingers in my ears.

While inside, I usually have headphones on, and nobody real close does fireworks, so I'll be fine

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 3:09 pm

This year we have a severe drought and have burning bans in almost every county except about 10. Many of the fireworks displays have been cancelled or postponed. Since my county have a burning ban as well I question our city putting on a fireworks display. And if anyone gets caught firing off fireworks they are warned. If they are caught again than they will get a stiff fine in my state.

I use to put on such an impressive fireworks display that there were always several people watching. But, I quit doing this the year after last because they got expensive.

With me now on SS, no more light shows from me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

I plan to burrow myself into the deepest bowels of my college's library and hope the sounds of explosions don't penetrate.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

I have such a seething resentment toward the police dispatcher 'C-word' dogs in heat that 'work' in my city, who fancy themselves the gatekeepers of who gets the police response. They have effectively told me as much that they will send units out to my calls if THEY FEEL it justified.

There has been an ordinance for 3 years that fines the perpetrators $1000 and may include 6 months in jail, if caught. How are they to be caught if the law doesn't do its job? If they actually enforced that POS ordinance the city would be swimming in dollar bills rather than holding the honest citizens upside down and shaking the last pennies from their pockets over a burned out taillight

Plans? I'd love to have a bunker to house the family pets in peace but that obviously won't happen. So I plan on not having to spend any extra 'family time' and lament that I don't have any headphones for the animals, while fantasizing about people who refused to protect the helpless riding down the escalator to Hell

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm

I have always loved them. We are not buying any this year due to money being tight and not going to dig into our savings for it. We are going to my husband's parents friend's house for the 4th of July and there will be fireworks there already. There be food and I will just bring the computer and power cord and my book I am reading. I do cover my ears sometimes when they are too loud.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

Shooting fireworks without a professional pyrotechnics license is illegal here anyways, but the fire danger is so high that they've actually canceled the city-sponsored show as well. I really don't care, however. It's not that I don't like Independence Day, it's just I have another thing I'm looking forward to even more on Sunday, that is I will be traveling to Casper to visit my girlfriend. So this year's 4th of July is just another average day to me.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jul 2012, 5:43 pm

oooooh I'm dreading tomorrow. My mom has arranged that my family goes to her friends beach house for fireworks. (that beach puts on a huge firework show with live music, TONS of people,alcohol drinks etc) anyway, my moms friend has a son my age, and he pb.obviously tries to flirt with me and its oooooh annoying.also, with the loud music, lots of [loud and drunk] people,and a annoying 14 year old that 'loves' me, I'm gonna have sensory overload big-time. I don't tend to have meltdowns though, just shut downs. So I probably won't talk the whole time.I'm also planning on bringing sound-canceling earphones.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.