Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 10:41 am

They tell me I ask too many questions. I want to know as much as possible. They just want me to stfu.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 11:26 am

Well, I HATE asking questions! I often do what I can to avoid it.

I had three classes for my current job.

1. I worked everything through. I did well.
2. I was BORED, and studied something ELSE instead. Frankly, it was too intuitive for a class. BTW I quickly became an ecknoledged expert in it! 8-)
3. AH YEAH!! !! I asked a quetion the teacher RIDICULED me for asking! He asked the class if they all understood it, and they said they DID. MAN did they try to make me feel STUPID! I wondered for about a minute. HEY, I know SO much about the subject, how could THEY see something I missed. GUESS what happened a few minutes later!?!? People started asking what, to THEM, must have seemed like different questions. I sat back and laughed to myself! You see, if they REALLY knew the answer to my question, they would not have asked ANY of the questions! They WERE all related!

It really is funny sometimes. Maybe THAT is why I hate asking questions. Of course, I ALSO had a teacher in the 5th grade that seemed to HATE questions. Funny, that was right about when my life changed for the worst.

Steve

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 12:02 pm

Wow...

I remember in year 1 I was a loner, but I didn't notice, it wasn't really a problem.

The years 2-4 were quite ok, I spent most of my time learning, and quietly watching.

I do remember year 5 was about when I started having trouble too..

Got told off for picking my nose too much, got told off for saying the wrong things, started to think kids were really weird around me, watched 2 boys fight and freaked out, and many other things.

However I still blamed everyone else around me as stupid until years later, I'm so glad I escaped that way of thinking, for my dad seems stuck there! He seems to think anyone without his music taste is ignorant (except us family) and everyone who doesn't understand him is dopey.

Though since I've been on my own quest of discovery, I share what I learn with my mum, and he has actually learnt so much in the past year it astounds me.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 12:18 pm

When my siblings and I were children, my aunt got mad at my mum. She said "Do you have to explain every damned thing to your kids?". You all should have had my mum for a mother!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 3:13 pm

I recall my mothers response to me at around 7years old,when I found one of her tampons and asked what it was.That conversation didnt get very far.I couldnt figure out why she was so mad at me!! !!

My class-mates in English hated me because I was always asking the teacher questions about the books we were reading.I always wanted to get deeper into plot lines,character development,symbolism.
If her explanation went pass the end of class bell.....It was my fault.I really do not understand why people hated my questions,they were going to be in class anyway....why not learn something?Obviously it was interfering with their time to socialize and write love notes.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Breakbot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2006, 3:38 pm

I'm terrible with questions. I almost never ask any. In meetings I just listen mostly. When I was in school I never raised my hand. I can just hardly ever find a thing to ask.

vivreestesperer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2006, 4:53 pm

Yes, it seems like question asking is a very common Aspie characteristic, and I think the person who put forth the reason why makes a lot of sense!

We like to analyze, to go deep, to truly understand something. As a rule we are not satisfied with the surface of anything.

Therefore we ask a lot of questions

I definitely asked a lot of questions in school and had my share of teachers who told me to stop! I still ask a lot of questions because it's a great way to both find out more about the world and make conversation.

You know what they say, it's he who asks the question that is smarter than the one who answers it, or something like that.

Kate

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 7:17 pm

I've always asked a lot of questions that most people seem to think are stupid. Even though I score pretty high on an IQ test (144) it makes me wonder if I'm not actually stupid... :(

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 8:09 pm

Hey Drowning Medusa,

YEAH, I tested out high also. Frankly, I think I could do better, etc... and sometimes have the same doubts. but I usually don't have to think hard to see some of the good accomplishments I have had.

Anyway, being smarter than you think is probably smarter and safer than being dumber than you think!

Steve

NorahW
Raven
Raven

24 Nov 2006, 4:41 pm

I used to get told I asked too many questions until I was about 5. Now I'm afraid to ask questions unless not doing so will get me fired because I don't know how to do something at work, for instance. And even there I think I ask too many questions.

Murdal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2006, 5:46 pm

DrowningMedusa wrote:
I've always asked a lot of questions that most people seem to think are stupid. Even though I score pretty high on an IQ test (144) it makes me wonder if I'm not actually stupid... :(

158 here. People seem to think asking questions is taboo. Ticks the heck out of me really because I do enjoy to know lots of things. Apparently it's like staring into the soul of an NT. Then again, some of the worlds worst happenings have come from questions.

Start of religion:

"Why do we exist?"

"Because our God made us."

"Oh..."

skzyp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2006, 5:00 am

I like the reason given for asking too many questions. My family finds me very annoying when i keep asking questions...I can't help it. At my job I kept asking questions about how to do every little thing...I do say "why?" alot. I ask a lot of questions.

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 3:48 pm

Scintillate wrote:
It is strange hey..

I had to know why something was right before I applied it as morally right for myself..

I had to know why something I was doing was wrong before I could stop doing it.

me too,still do. me too! still do.