Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 12:17 pm

i have like 6 very good friends(2 in the best friend catagory, and 1 in who started out there but has recently migrated into the boy friend one) and i am afraid. i've agreed to do things i truly hate to stay close with them(like go to parties, dear GOD i hate parties!! !)i'm afraid that after this(highschool)well drift and they'll all forget about me. my boyfriend(AS)has told me many a time that he could NEVER forget me, then questioned if i could 4get him(he has the same fear of being forgotten)and of corse i couldnt!! ! one of my best friend said"into what?!(i asked her if we would drift)Hell no!!!No,we cant. eva." but what if shes wrong? or what if they all stay togther and leave me(i've had it happen so many times...starting with my mom. she left me with my grandparents when i was 4-no warning-and didnt come back till i was 8-found out later it was collage,but still-)? then i'll be all alone. COMPLETELY alone. :cry:

wedrifid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2006, 12:55 pm

You know what the good news is blackcat? Drifting apart takes two sides. That means that if you don't want to drift apart then take the responsibility of keeping in contact onto yourself. Call every month (or whatever frequency is appropriate). Try to establish a tradition of meeting up at a certain time or something. Friendships don't just happen, they take work. While some of them at times don't end up being worth maintaining for various reasons and some die horrible deaths most of the time if we make active efforts then we can ensure we keep contact with those that are important to us.

I'm glad that you have such a comfortable group of friends. That is a real blesing. Keep up the good work.

:)

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 1:08 pm

I can't maintain friends...

When I try to I lose all focus in my own interests, to the point that I can't keep up with anything..

The only friends I can keep are those I see VERY rarely, or those I connect with music/learning wise, which turns out to be more people than I expected, but generally over the net.

This isn't advice, maybe its a description of what not to do, but I can't be any other way, friends are a beautiful thing, I just don't think they're for me.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 1:26 pm

If you do drift apart, it'll be for a good reason. Some friendships last the test of time, some don't. New friendships start as old ones fade, so you'll never be alone unless you deliberately shut yourself off from the world.

Don't worry.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2006, 1:31 pm

Blackcat,

You and your boyfriend sound REALLY lucky! If you really like him, and he likes you, do what you can to keep it going! I can only imagine what that is like. That would be my dream. Of course, your other friendships sound great too. It sounds like you are LUCKY! BE HAPPY!

Steve