Think I might actually be full on addicted to music

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

Music has always been a huge huge part of my life. I think it is definitely my main special interest. I'm not exactly worried that I feel I'm completely addicted to it because it's truly one of the only things that gives me any joy, but I wanted to see if this was normal by "autistic standards".
Basically I start every day by sitting and listening to songs on spotify\youtube for about 2-3 hours. I won't do anything other than listen to the music. So that means by the time I actually start my day I end up eating my breakfast very late and showering and stuff at unusual times.
If I'm not at uni or with friend at other times of the day there is no doubt you will find my listening to music. Some days I literally listen to music non-stop all day. I also literally cannot walk anywhere without my ipod. Without my earphone in I actually feel like the world has become too quiet because I'm so used to walking round with music blasting.

Like literally my passion for music is unbelievably intense. I think if somehow I was unable to listen to music for a few days I would actually completely crack up.

Is it normal to have special interests this intense? Does anybody have any special interests that they feel they are literally addicted to and couldn't live without?

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2012, 11:09 am

I am the same.

I mean, when I listen to music, I listen to music. By listening to music I mean several hours every day with the headphones on and spacing out totally. I sometimes am able to do something creative while listening to music, but mostly I am so drawn into music that I can’t do nothing but listen, stim and float in the sensation.

And only now I am starting to understand that just listening to music every day for the most of the time you spend at home might not be considered normal. But hey, that’s why we’re here. :lol:

Last edited by VisInsita on 07 Jul 2012, 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

Intensity- yes, I think many others would say their own interests and rituals were equally vital to life, as you described.

I'm not sure if "addiction" is the best word to describe it, due to the association of the word addiction with something bad for you or that dammages your ability to live in balance.

Whatever is comforting to you, what provides a safety net of pleasure and well being, what inspires you to get out of bed each morning and feel connected to your human experience of life's ups and downs, I think that is something different than addiction. May I offer the word "appreciation"? It doesn't have the strong association with something that is self harming. Maybe appreciation is too weak a word. Music lover. Music fanatic. Enthusiast.

I'm just trying to say that, I wouldn't personally label your connection with music as an healthy or abnormal experience. There is even a book about it called "Your Playlist can Change Your Life" about the experience of music moving you through your day to reach your goals, with the help of the effect that music has on your brain.

Hope that helps! :D

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 11:50 am

That sounds so familiar. I actually become irritable when I haven't listened to music, especially first thing in the morning.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 1:01 pm

I'm also addicted to music. I have to have my music playing for most of the day, or else I'll go crazy.

SOULSHINE88
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2012, 2:46 pm

:D

OMG I think I have found my music twinkies!! Hii! =) SO happy!
We should create playlists of some of our favorites together! :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jul 2012, 2:52 pm

Everybody must get stoned!

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

I have a similar "addiction" to music, except for me it is with playing it, rather than listening to it. I often bring my J-Bass (in my avatar) around with me, if not some other instrument. My life is pretty much dedicated to playing music. Music is my only source of income (granted it is not a large source of income, but it gives me some financial independence).

I'll often be in my room all day playing music, and all night.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 6:38 pm

JoeRose wrote:
Basically I start every day by sitting and listening to songs on spotify\youtube for about 2-3 hours. I won't do anything other than listen to the music. So that means by the time I actually start my day I end up eating my breakfast very late and showering and stuff at unusual times. If I'm not at uni or with friend at other times of the day there is no doubt you will find my listening to music. Some days I literally listen to music non-stop all day. I also literally cannot walk anywhere without my ipod. Without my earphone in I actually feel like the world has become too quiet because I'm so used to walking round with music blasting.

Yup, that's basically been my experience for the last 50 years.

When writing music journalism became my special interest (2003 - 2011) I would even find myself listening to music I didn't especially like 24/7 months on. I mean, I know 101 Strings or Stryper blows, but must write it up, in explicit and total detail. That, my friend, is addiction. So, yeah, pal, I understand.

Wanna hear me monologue an hour or two on Grand Funk Railroad?

Didn't think so.

EQ: 6.

StormCrow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jul 2012, 9:24 pm

I might be addicted to music.

My alarm clock goes off on the music setting.

When I turn my computer on, my Pandora radio widget goes on.

when I drive anywhere the radio is on

if I work in the basement I have the speakers on (rigged up a long wire from my computer)

and sometimes I'll listen to music on headphones in bed

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 9:40 pm

Yes, that's pretty normal for an Aspie obsession. If your responsibilities are suffering because of the intensity of your obsession, you might want to try to tone it down (get help from an OT or counselor if you can't do it alone); but you're on the spectrum and that's how your mind works, so you shouldn't be surprised or distressed by the intensity of your attachment to music. In the most intense phases of my obsessions, I tend to spend about 16-17 hours a day on whatever it is; the rest is spent sleeping.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

SOULSHINE88 wrote:

Go for it! But my musical interests change by the minute. I tend to get complete and utter obsessions with bands. And when I'm not obsessed I'm a pretty mopey person to be around. PM and I'll give you my spotify :)

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

Callista wrote:
Yes, that's pretty normal for an Aspie obsession. If your responsibilities are suffering because of the intensity of your obsession, you might want to try to tone it down (get help from an OT or counselor if you can't do it alone); but you're on the spectrum and that's how your mind works, so you shouldn't be surprised or distressed by the intensity of your attachment to music. In the most intense phases of my obsessions, I tend to spend about 16-17 hours a day on whatever it is; the rest is spent sleeping.

Honestly I think it does definitely affect my life in a detrimental way sometimes. Every part of my life is based on music and how much I listen to it. I neglect a lot of responsibilities because I'll just space out and listen to it. But I can't ever see myself wanting to get counselling or help for it because it's literally the only thing that gives me happiness or joy. I think with me it's either an other the top obsession with music or life is simply not worth living.
My interest with it is so intense. But I can't help it. The intensity of it keeps me alive.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 9:33 am

SOULSHINE88 wrote:

Funny you mention this; I was considering posting on the same subject.

Steven_Tyler77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

I too am addicted to music. I can't face life without it. Listening to it is the first thing I do after I wake up. And I go on listening to music literally all day long. I cannot study or work if I do not have any music on. And I also spend many hours just listening and doing nothing else.

I routinely get obsessed with certain artists and bands.

I get intense emotions while listening to music. It also helps with my creativity. When I get high, what I like doing most is to listen to music and enjoy the altered perception - I probably wouldn't even be interested in taking drugs if I couldn't listen to music while under the influence...

Aspie-quiz results:
Aspie score: 138 of 200 / NT score: 78 of 200 => Very likely an Aspie.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

Music is amazing. I insist on listening to music almost all the time that I can. I lose focus if I can't.

Right now I'm pretty much listening to one guy at the moment. Pretty sad, huh? But I actually have more diverse tastes. It's just you know, sometimes you get one band and you GOTTA listen to them all the time.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."