Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

My main concern in speech class is talking too fast. I can talk slow if it is something uninteresting or I dumb myself down and pause after each word. I know those 2 things aren't good for being a public speaker. I was wondering if other aspies talk fast and how can I change this issue?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

Always.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:38 pm

I speak quickly and quietly.

As for how to change it? I have no idea.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:40 pm

I'vebeentoldItalkmuchtoofast. Idon'trealizeI'mdoingituntilsomeone points it out.

It' takes a great deal of effort to purposely pause when speaking.

When I was in Toastmasters International - I used notes. I could easily remember what I was going to say ... the notes were to remind me to pause once in a while. :oops:

CR

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

I think people started telling me to slow down when I was about ten. My daughter's classmates called me "The Auctioneer". I did take HS Debate and college Speech, and _can_ slow down if I have an audience and put my mind to it, but it takes too much attention to slow down that much all the time. I've been a Lector (Reader of the Scripture Lesson) at Church, and I do that very well -- again, the whole setting is a reminder. I do know that I want to communicate, and I'm not communicating very well if my listeners can't understand me, but I perpetually forget.

They should listen faster.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 8:52 pm

yes I try to talk as fast as the words come to me.. Which flow very fast when I know what I'm going to say ahead of time.
I often try to talk as fast as I read also ..but my mouth cant do that either

.....remain calm, pace yourself, breathe and pronunciate clearly

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:07 pm

People tell me that when I am inebriated I can reach talking speeds on par with the micromachines guy.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 9:42 pm

I talk very quickly. Regardless of how much coffee i have had :lol:

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2011, 10:50 pm

I speak very quickly. I'm not trying to, I just can't help myself. I speak at the same rate I think. Always have. And it someone needs me to slow down, I always feel like I'm speaking down to them because of how slowly it sounds to me.

Myers-Briggs: INTJ
AQ: 44

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2011, 11:07 pm

Only when I am excited about something. I speak quickly and end up stumbling over my words. My brother talks fast as well but he probably got that from me. Sometimes my parents have to ask one of us to repeat what the other said.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 12:08 am

I talked way too fast as a kid, especially if agitated or talking about one of my special interests. What taught me to do otherwise was trying to say the things I wanted to say in less words, almost like a summary. This was really hard for me to do as I was very frank, specific, and detail oriented.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

viera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

yes, been asked a lot of times to slow down.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2011, 1:19 am

Used to, also used to have a bit of a slur problem with some combinations. I managed to get myself to talk at a normal speed and clearer than before, a few years ago, but I still talk too loud most of the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 2:03 am

Yes. I try to talk slow.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

i only talk too fast when i am nervous. i talk too loud sometimes without knowing it. my sister, who functions otherwise neurotypically as far as we can tell, talks very fast. maybe this is a mini-autistic trait she has. AS runs in our family.

TheMatrixHasYou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2011, 4:47 am

I speak quite fast, normally because the conversation has been scripted beforehand, and my brain is on overdrive. I usually speak fast when I'm excited, or passionate about something.....probably the reason why I sometimes stutter.