Yes 65%  65%  [ 178 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 97 ]
Total votes : 275

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2012, 2:25 pm

I got my learner's twice.
First: when everyone else my age was expected to... then I just wasn't interested in learning to drive... and it expired.
Second: at 19 or 20 and my mother taught me to drive.
Got driver's licence on first try at 20.
Then didn't drive until I was 25/26.
Now I do drive, but I normally walk further in any week than I drive

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2012, 2:36 pm

Have had a driver's license since the summer I was 17. Got my motorcycle endorsement when I was 49. Still driving and riding at 55. One job allowed me to take company-paid taxi rides home at night. Those taxi drivers didn't know it at the time, but they were giving me free lessons on how to operate a vehicle quickly and efficiently in traffic.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jul 2012, 3:11 pm

I have been driving for over 10 years now, without incident. Not particularly good at judging distance when parking (tend to err on the side of caution, should fit a distance sensor). Unfortunately with on-street parking other people have added dents/scrapes to my car (and birds have added fertiliser).

Quote:
I have actually passed my driving test and now hold a provisional liscence,

If you have passed your test you should get a full licence, not a provisional.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 3:30 pm

I was 28 when I started driving and having been driving eversince. Sometimes I do like to get out and just drive around and look at the scenery as well as shopping and doing other things. I just couldn't get the hang of how to use the brake until I was forced to operated a forklift or get fired. It was about a year after I started operating a forklift that finally prepared me for my drivers test, because I had to learn how to brake and even use a clutch since I got stuck with those gas powered forklifts most of the time. Not only did I pass my drivers test but I operator forklifts just about the whole time I was employed at this one factory. Strange how things happen and I always believe that things happen for a reason and in this case it was a forklift.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 3:39 pm

Sadly, no. My sensory issues keep me from it.

Annoyingly, an ASD professional keep bugging me about how I should get a license as if I could do so easily. Going on about how other young "such utmost hf" and "more severe" people with AS can drive just fine and that therefore, I should be able to too.

Right. Who-the-hell-drives so what's it do with me? Congratulations to those young adults on experiencing mild sensory issues during driving/when sitting in a car, then. Sensory issues are different, everyone's different, urgh.

However, I want to get a license someday. Also, I'll very likely need to be able to drive and own a car to do the job I want to do after studying. That's going to be interesting. I am not willing to let that hold me back and allow someone to reject me for not (yet) being able to drive around to get to those (autistic) kids that I plan to work with.

man-hands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2012, 3:47 pm

I drive. I learned when I was about 22. The only thing about driving is that I can't drive really fast on the interstate. High speeds make me anxious. I stay in the slow lane on the highway and just let everyone pass me. (They drive 75+mph, I stay around 55-60mph.)

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 3:59 pm

Sora wrote:
Sadly, no. My sensory issues keep me from it.

Annoyingly, an ASD professional keep bugging me about how I should get a license as if I could do so easily. Going on about how other young "such utmost hf" and "more severe" people with AS can drive just fine and that therefore, I should be able to too.

Right. Who-the-hell-drives so what's it do with me? Congratulations to those young adults on experiencing mild sensory issues during driving/when sitting in a car, then. Sensory issues are different, everyone's different, urgh.

However, I want to get a license someday. Also, I'll very likely need to be able to drive and own a car to do the job I want to do after studying. That's going to be interesting. I am not willing to let that hold me back and allow someone to reject me for not (yet) being able to drive around to get to those (autistic) kids that I plan to work with.

Don't let anyone force you to drive before you are ready. You will know when you are ready if you are meant to drive. The forklift part was very scary for me. I probably still wouldn't be driving if it hadn't been for the forklift. My hands jerk pretty bad at times and this happens sometimes while I'm driving which jerks the steering wheel from one side to the other, so I really have to keep control of the car when that happens.

If you ever get to driving you will feel a freedom that you don't feel now. Good luck!

ComposerGal1928

11 Jul 2012, 4:28 pm

I kinda have to since both of my parents work and school is kinda far away. Hopefully I won't have to drive as much once I move on campus this fall. Although I plan on getting a bike and ride around campus, I'm still going to have my car in the parking garage. You know, just in case I somehow get talked into going to a party and people need a designated driver.

But driving is a little scary sometimes. I've already seen my fair share of crazy drivers and near-accidents in my two years of driving so far. Plus, my anxiety gets a little high when I see a police car anywhere near me on the road, even if I'm not doing anything wrong.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:19 pm

I don't know how to answer this. I have my license (though I didnt learn until I was 28) and very occasionally do drive ... but I get very anxious and stressed about it so usually choose not to. I walk almost everywhere.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2012, 5:51 pm

No way. sensory overload would make it unsafe.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 12:22 am

My dad's taken me out for one driving lesson so far. I didn't do too bad for the very first time behind the wheel. I loved it! Now I have to wait til I'm 16 to start driver's ed and take the test JUST to get my permit (well, that's Massachusetts for you :roll:). I don't want to have to wait to get my license!! !

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2012, 12:28 am

I only drive because I'm learning. I turn 18 in a couple weeks and up until a few days ago had planned on getting my license as normal. Sometimes I like driving - most times I hate it. If there's anything that absolutely overwhelms me to the max, it's driving. Too many things to remember.

I will keep my learner's permit indefinitely due to the cost of car insurance. I'm going away to college next fall and we get free bus fare, so why drive? It's a big city anyway.

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Last edited by IndieSoul on 15 Jul 2012, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nubbins
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2012, 1:28 am

I would be lost were I not able to drive. Taught myself how (on actual roads = eeek) many many years ago. Where I live you have to drive. That and I take the little car up into the bush where I go hiking with the dog, etc.

I was actually surprised to hear that Aspies struggle (some of them) with driving--in the car you're alone and cocooned from other people. And given the choice between mass transit vs car--no-brainer for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 3:23 am

Quote:
If you have passed your test you should get a full licence, not a provisional.

That's what I meant, just got words muddled up. :oops:

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2012, 6:51 am

I am able to drive, but don't do so that much these days as public transport/walking in London is more convenient.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Jul 2012, 7:25 am

I don't drive. I've tried to learn to drive, and found it very hard to focus on everything I needed to focus on. I realize with practice this can get easier, but I am concerned about possible accidents while getting used to it, or possibly never getting used to it because of sensory overload, shutdowns, impulsiveness, and other neurological issues that leave me concluding that I am unlikely to be a safe or effective driver.

I primarily use public transportation when it's available to me. I first learned to use that when I was 11 or 12 years old and memorized many of the bus routes in the city I grew up in. While I can and do experience sensory overload on buses, the fact that I am not driving means that usually my worst risk is zoning out or shutting down to some extent and missing my stop.