Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

It's not the punishment that upsets me, it's the change in my routine that upsets me. My dad today shut off our internet so we could clean our bedrooms and bathrooms. My routine and my day is now completely ruined because of it. I always check e-mail first and then get what I need done.

Anyone else?

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2012, 4:10 pm

sounds like the punishment is the breaking of your routine. punishment is meant to be unpleasant. If you'd had cleaning your bedroom and bathroom as part of your routine, maybe your dad wouldn't have to do this.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:16 pm

Ditto. One must learn to accept the pleasant duties as well as the unpleasant. Do them all, make them all a part of your routine and stick to it.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2012, 4:23 pm

Is it really that easy for others to just make something part of your routine? It's never been easy for me. Things that I find comforting or enjoyable can get on my routine easily. Less pleasant things just don't stick.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:43 pm

My schedule because I don't know about you guys, but I don't immediatedly clean when I wake up

-Check e-mail

-Do chores

-Internet break

-More chores or things I have to do

-If the rest of the day is finished, just do internet things or if isn't finish rest of day, go on internet

I am also very busy right now. Doing work stuff. The very first thing I do is check e-mail just in case work sends me an important e-mail. I don't like thinking that I have missed something important.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:48 pm

As a parent, I wouldn't even call that a punishment so much as a way to make sure that something gets done. You probably don't want to hear it, but it is important to get in the habit of cleaning regularly. I wish I had before I moved out - my first apartment was like a disaster area, and I would just look at the mess and feel helpless because I had no routines or habits to deal with it. Even though I knew intellectually I could, say, wash dishes, I felt like I couldn't.

It's easiest for me to work chores and the like into my routine in the morning. Get them over with, and then I can look forward to delving into the stuff I'm really interested in without interruptions. It's also easier to start something if you focus on one small part of the task to start... I often find once I start I will build momentum and finish the task, it's the "switching gears" part that's really difficult.

Last edited by Nonperson on 15 Jul 2012, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

If my internet gets shut off or I lose any normal service, I get very irritated and will drop everything to find an alternative solution. The last time I lost internet for a day, I ended up sitting in hotspots all day until it was time to go to work.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

It's absolutely not easy. But it is possible, and it's a necessary part of life. Do it, stress out, do it again. Get used to it. Make it a routine. Then you'll get stressed if you DON'T do it!

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:51 pm

I get a little anxious and it's good to get a warning ahead of time about it. My husband has learned that anything unexpected I freak out and start screaming at him so he now gives me a heads up even if it's going to take effect in a few minutes so I am expecting it. I know logically I can do something else, I know logically you can go on to your next routine and skip this one and go back to it later when the internet is back on. But feelings get in the way sometimes and we have to fight it to be flexible.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I get a little anxious and it's good to get a warning ahead of time about it. My husband has learned that anything unexpected I freak out and start screaming at him so he now gives me a heads up even if it's going to take effect in a few minutes so I am expecting it. I know logically I can do something else, I know logically you can go on to your next routine and skip this one and go back to it later when the internet is back on. But feelings get in the way sometimes and we have to fight it to be flexible.

You explain exactly how I think.

How do you think someone is going to react to when they wake up the internet is gone?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
How do you think someone is going to react to when they wake up the internet is gone?

I pretty much fall apart when my internet is out. They may as well unplug my life support. I need my internet.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:45 pm

hanyo wrote:
I pretty much fall apart when my internet is out. They may as well unplug my life support. I need my internet.

I'd like some warning is all. Or at least a hint or something. Not suddenly be taken away.

mmcool
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 5:50 pm

hanyo wrote:
Pandora_Box wrote:

Be happy your not like me living in a dual area of Suffolk England
The internet is 2mbps and it can go off with no warning
But it keeping reliable at the moment and has not gone off once in 8 days

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2012, 7:47 pm

hanyo wrote:
Pandora_Box wrote:

I'm the same, how can I look up information if there's no internet. My ex mate used to use it to force me to do the same, Before I knew anything about ASD.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 7:54 pm

Recently wrong planet had a server issue and I was unable to get on here with my iPhone (my only source of internet) for 2 days. It was very upsetting.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
hanyo wrote:

I'd like some warning is all. Or at least a hint or something. Not suddenly be taken away.

How much time in advance do you need though to know about it before it happens? Some need a week in advance, not few minutes or few hours or even one day.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.