Why do so many people on here hate NT's?

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2012, 10:31 pm

Of COURSE everyone doesn't, but there's a higher number than I'm comfortable with. I'm not NT myself but it's just awful seeing Anti-NT posts on here. It just seems like a lot of people are trying to make themselves feel better than others. It's just not right. And then there are the people who will hate me BECAUSE I don't hate NT's and then....Idk I'm just saying, acting like that just makes everything worse. No ones going to think we're cool and not dangerous or dumb if we as a group keep on like this. Who else agrees with me?

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Because they use the word, normal too much. :lol:

KuRowbot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

Well, obviously people feel hurt that they don't fit in with NT's, and they blame the NT's.
People will realize one-way-or-another that it's not right to make such black-and-white judgements.
(Or maybe they won't. Just ignore them, then.)

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

They're had bad experiences with them

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2012, 10:44 pm

Ashuahhe wrote:
They're had bad experiences with them

it's not like i havent. that doesnt mean anyone should hate a whole group though.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm

Probably help to determine whether the hatred is actually there or whether people are venting about bad experiences.

DNMA
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2012, 11:23 pm

To properly psychoanalyze why people hold certain opinions on certain matters, you have to see things in their perspective. But to "understand" doesn't mean you will always agree. People have their own set of experiences and values, and cope with things differently.

That's all I have to say about the matter.

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2012, 12:22 am

I imagine the use of labels and the "we/them" dichotomy has something to do with it. There are probably a lot of people who would fall on the borderline between the two categories but labelling and grouping allows for broader generalizations. Labels are useful in facilitating descriptions or making comparisons but they also invite a certain flattening of the human landscape. This kind of phenomenon exits in many aspects of society.

marionette101
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 12:29 am

I don't think many people actually hate NTs at all. They just see them differently like they see us differently, but the difference is that we want to fit into society more and be like 'them', so we'll place the blame somewhere.

Ria1989
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2012, 12:35 am

I agree with you. I've noticed it too.

Kind of off topic, but I wrote a research paper about Latinos in American school systems. I got so upset over their maltreatment, that I ended up being biased in my paper. It wasn't until my professor told me that I'm commiting the same crime, that I realized I'm not any better. From then on I tried my hardest to be unbiased. It's hard to do when one feels that someone isn't being treated well, but it's important to look past it and state only facts.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2012, 12:37 am

Agemaki wrote:
I imagine the use of labels and the "we/them" dichotomy has something to do with it. There are probably a lot of people who would fall on the borderline between the two categories but labelling and grouping allows for broader generalizations. Labels are useful in facilitating descriptions or making comparisons but they also invite a certain flattening of the human landscape. This kind of phenomenon exits in many aspects of society.

The labeling occurred because NTs determined that the label "autistic" would be applicable to a group of people, and then spent a lot of time and money defining autistic people in opposition to "normal" people. And then autistic people coined the term "neurotypical" to find a label that would sidestep the "normal/disordered" dichotomy that already existed. Prior to that, you had the marked category - autistic people - and the unmarked category - which is simply "normal" and "how people are meant to be."

The majority of complaints you read about NTs here are mostly venting and frustration, and it's probably wrong to conclude any generalizations from those complaints.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:12 am

i'm guilty as charged on this.

i think it has mostly to do with the asylums, and my previous history on the internet. from day one i always felt singled out. even when i first came here, i didn't know who i could trust, like i am a true natural artist and not just making art, but i love finding all kinds of art.

yet i felt singled out on the one place that i take the biggest interest in, devaint art, i couldn't figure it out, course i wasn't diagnosed till much later.

i now see it as the reason i was alienated, i can't think of anything else that could have been the cause. i was kind and respectful at first over the 8+ years since i found the net, i have become angry and bitter, and i only run into major problems on nt sites, wp was my only shelter in the storm. and it still is.

i can't post on a thread for a week without being pounced on, half the time i have no clue what i did wrong. i got out of hand on bioware after briefly joining aff and loosing my sense of self. another person pmed me she was another handicapped person. and she was respectful but gave me very harsh critic, not to the point of a personal attack. if anything she helped me understand what i was doing after that i wised up and regained my sense of self.

on aff they see aspergers as normal or something i got a bit brain washed by that. once i accepted that i had a handicap i got back to my old self. that was around the time of kirby's death, my beloved kitty. and i was hurting and when a person is hurting like that they do stupid stuff, i tack that down as one of the worst.

but i have gotten harsh treatment since day one, maybe it isn't hatred per-say but a paranoia and not being able to trust anyone out of this one site. so basicly i'm on the defensive big time and if my walls get disturbed i lash out. but i don't know what else to do really. when i snap it's like a reflex.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:30 am

Because in most cases, most people you interact with are "normal".

When most of the "normal" people were a part of bullying and whatnot, it tends to cloud your vision.

I'm betting a "normal" person would feel the same thing with positions reversed, just that they'd hate people with "ASDs".

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:38 am

I never even heard of "neurotypical" before coming to this forum. I don't hate NT's, but I don't especially like them either. But it's not just NT's, it's people in general. I get tired of people very quickly.

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:46 am

Eh, I don't hate them, but I love taking the p*** out of them. Why not, the action's mutual.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2012, 1:52 am

I will say this: I have noticed since I started posting here, that I can spot the NT's posts a mile away. There is this weird, rambling, overly emotional quality to the way most of them post. It reads almost like a foreign language. Every time I see one of those, and I check, sure enough it is an NT post.