Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

oakenshield
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2012, 6:26 pm

When I am stressed I have frantic dreams. The dreams aren't always directly related to what I am stressed about, but can be. What is always the same though is that when I wake and go back to sleep I either continue or repeat the dream and I don't feel rested at all. I feel like my brain is trying to problem solve while I am sleeping.

Anyone else experience anything similar.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2012, 6:58 pm

I get nightmares that I can't remember and there more common when stressed. I stopped going back to sleep straight away as I know it'll carry on, when I wake up I'm as tired as when I went to sleep. Find if I watch an episode of a 'safe' tv program like Red Dwarf, Dr Who or Its always sunny (one I could repeat almost every word of the script and still enjoy but little violence) then go back to bed I feel better.

It's odd though I enjoy zombie dreams and other dark ones as I have some measure of control (its a little like a total immersion video game) but even after a restful night's sleep I have to remake the bed as it looks like a tornado hit it.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2012, 8:52 pm

oakenshield wrote:
I feel like my brain is trying to problem solve while I am sleeping.

Apparently that is one of the things the brain does with some forms of sleep, it also uses dreaming to practice things, so that is why dreams often have themes relating to actual life or things that would have threatened our ancestors (such as nightmares in young children are often about threats such as wolves etc.). They also did an experiment where they had people learn a new game just before going to sleep, when they woke the person up during the first part of the night, the person was dreaming about the game, essentially, practicing and problem solving. The sewing machine needle I think is also attributed to problem solving in a dream. Source: Documentary Channel, ages ago.