Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dr_Horrible
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2011, 8:58 am

I wonder if this feeling is familiar, that no matter what is happening around you and what you are partaking in, it feels like you are not really partaking in it or is a part of the "togetherness"? Like if people just are moving around you like ants and you are existing apart from them, in a dimension out of reach and in the same space as the rest of them?

To illustrate this, this music video could perhaps shed a light on how I felt during my upbringing and most of my life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrFko0C5Pk&feature=related[/youtube]

Does this seem familiar?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:10 am

I haven't watched your video but it's a feeling I get very strongly whenever I'm around large groups of people chattering to one another. This sort of behaviour is so unusual and alien to me that I can't help but feel "alienated". It happens to a lesser extent with smaller groups of people but in general the more people there are, the more stressed I become and the more alienated I feel. In smaller groups I can function much better socially but in large groups I'm practically mute because of sensory overload.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are not alienated from everyone, all the time.

I think this is probably the most difficult aspect of Asperger's Syndrome/autism to deal with and can lead to a rather intense and grim loneliness if you think about it too much. The best way I have found in dealing with this is just to accept that I'm different and that it's okay to be different. This paradoxically makes me feel less alienated because there is less pressure to live up to a standard which is simply impossible for me to achieve.

Last edited by corroonb on 22 Jan 2011, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:26 am

I get this very strongly. I thought I was the only one for a long time. For me it's a little similar to watching a movie. You feel like you're watching, but you can't really participate. It doesn't happen all the time, but when I get a little overwhelmed or when I'm tired, the symptoms are worse. I always thought it was related to my ADHD.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:56 am

I watched the video. I relate to the feeling you expressed, and as i watched the video, some very specific occurences came back to me, the people are workers. Everytime a plumber or electrician or something comes into my house, i freeze this way. I don't know how to move anymore or what to do, i sometimes try to do small talk, but even then, i am sitted on a countertop like a teenager, not able to get up and make coffee, or anything, like i'm not allowed to move anymore in my own house. It may come from asperger or my violent upbringing that taught me to walk on eggshells around grown ups, i don't know, but i just freeze.
The rest of the time, i do feel like you said, separate, a bit on another space unit, and i send my messages to the plane where people are situated, but it doesn't mean i can join them there.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:15 am

syrella wrote:
I get this very strongly. I thought I was the only one for a long time. For me it's a little similar to watching a movie. You feel like you're watching, but you can't really participate. It doesn't happen all the time, but when I get a little overwhelmed or when I'm tired, the symptoms are worse. I always thought it was related to my ADHD.

Likewise, except that it does happen all the time. This is my default state when around other people. And I haven't got ADHD, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that. I have read that it's common for people with Asperger's to feel like observers in this way.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 10:18 am

Kaybee wrote:
syrella wrote:

Likewise, except that it does happen all the time. This is my default state when around other people. And I haven't got ADHD, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that. I have read that it's common for people with Asperger's to feel like observers in this way.

For ADHD, I've heard that it's called the "fog". Where your mind is just in a haze. But it's possible that I just misinterpreted it and that's not what they meant at all.

It's amazing how many of the things that I've attributed to ADHD may in fact be AS. :|

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jan 2011, 11:55 am

Dr_Horrible wrote:
I wonder if this feeling is familiar, that no matter what is happening around you and what you are partaking in, it feels like you are not really partaking in it or is a part of the "togetherness"? Like if people just are moving around you like ants and you are existing apart from them, in a dimension out of reach and in the same space as the rest of them?

That's exactly it.
You're present but not present. Everything flows around but never through you. Experiencing things through a lightly frosted window. Completely alone in a room full of a hundred people. Observing the movement that happens immediately around you, yet somewhere more distant.
Sometimes it's a bit stressful, sometimes not.

I've always felt this.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 2:00 pm

What everyone else says. :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jan 2011, 2:21 pm

The only time i was ever truthfull in my life was when i was talking to all the doctors that one time, I told them how i hated being in a family and just always wanted to run away and live where nobody knew who I was. i cant deal with people, dont like them and really dont want anything to do with them at all see, but everyone just doesnt get it, exept for me of course.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 2:45 pm

I feel it, but it doesn't usually matter very much to me. I just join in when I can, and revert to being my own thing when I can't.

asperquarian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2011, 5:49 pm

Someone emailed me this site today: http://www.panic-anxiety.com/depersonal ... alization/

I have experienced this sense of alienation from a very early age, not just from other people but from reality. Eventually I learned to accept it and even to make it work for me. It was "the splinter in the brain" that let me know that I was on the wrong planet and that the NT way was not the only way.

Quote:
Depersonalization
A change in an individuals self-awareness such that they feel detached from their own experience, with the self, the body and mind seeming alien.

Depersonalization is a symptom of an anxiety disorder and not a stand alone condition. How do we know this? Because depersonalization cannot exist without anxiety BUT anxiety can exist without depersonalization.

In each and every depersonalization sufferer that we have treated, as we have eliminated the anxiety, the depersonalization disappears completely.

Depersonalization is caused by a shift in the part of the brain that provides us with a 'real' awareness of our environment; this part of the brain is directly linked to the Amygdala, the organ in the brain responsible for anxiety.

Terms commonly used to describe the symptoms and sensations of Depersonalization:

* unreal
* disembodied
* divorced from oneself
* apart from everything
* unattached
* alone
* strange
* weird
* foreign
* unfamiliar
* dead
* puppet-like
* robot-like
* acting a part
* 'like a lifeless
* two dimensional
* 'cardboard' figure
* made of cotton-wool
* having mechanical actions
* remote
* automated
* a spectator
* witnessing ones own actions as if in a film or on a TV program
* not doing one's own thinking
* observing the flow of ideas in the mind as independent.

Derealization

A change in an individual's experience of the environment, where the world around him/her feels unreal and unfamiliar.

Unlike depersonalization which effects the perception of oneself, derealization is a change in an individual's experience of their environment, where the world around him/her feels unreal and unfamiliar.

Again, derealization, like depersonalization, is caused by a change in the way senses perceive our surroundings due to sensitized, anxious, nerve signals reaching the brain. Derealization is completely harmless but can be very disturbing. The more you give derealization credibility, the longer it stays with you. As anxiety levels are reduced, derealization disappears.

Terms commonly used to describe the symptoms and sensations of Derealization:

* spaciness
* like looking through a gray veil
* a sensory fog
* spaced-out
* being trapped in a glass bell jar
* in a goldfish bowl
* behind glass
* in a Disney-world dream state
* withdrawn
* feeling cut off or distant from the immediate surroundings
* like being a spectator at some strange and meaningless game
* objects appear diminished in size
* flat
* dream-like
* cartoon-like
* artificial; objects appear to be unsolid, to breathe, or to shimmer
* "as if my head were inside a Coke bottle and I'm viewing the world through the thick glass at the bottom"

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Jan 2011, 6:37 pm

I do feel disconnected in larger groups, unless I am somehow the center of attention (which can and does happen, usually because I used to run roleplaying games). Otherwise, the socializing tends to go around me and with more people I have a harder time interacting or even responding. This only bothers me when a conversation between me and one or two people expands and suddenly I'm frozen out entirely. Otherwise I tend to zone out, which can be relaxing.

It's not the same as depersonalization or derealization (both of which I have experienced), at least not for me. Dissociation is never pleasant or at least I don't feel like my lack of ability to engage comes from outside myself, which is what happens in these circumstances.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 8:57 pm

There's something about the video that I'm not sure you intended to reference (it's not about alienation exactly) but that happens in a very literal fashion for me. 

I will be sitting there. And feel more or less normal, normal for myself that is. And then someone walks in. And the difference between our time perception becomes incredibly obvious. 

They rush around really fast. They may stop to talk to me but by the time I have figured out what they are saying they are long gone. It feels as if we are in two different worlds, one of which time is flowing much faster. It doesn't occur to me until someone tells me, that I am the one moving extremely slowly.

I read a purely speculative article that suggests there's a connection between this phenomenon and "autistic catatonia" (which I have been diagnosed with). I don't know if it's true but I know others who have the same time perception thing. 

The article is called Time, mirrors and autism. Part of it says:

"People with autistic conditions occasionally report abnormalities in their subjective experience of time, experiencing a period of an hour as a minute having passed. For example, a young man who presented with extreme pathological slowness and who was given a diagnosis of autism reported being always rushed by his carers. His own experience of time was evidently much slower than 'normal'. Such experiences
seem to be linked to the catatonic states, which are observed in 5-8% of people with autistic disorders)." 

Back to the original topic though. Yes I have felt like that. It reminds me of the lyrics from another song:  "And I turn to the crowd as they're watching / gathered all together in the dark in the warm / and I wanted to be in there among them / I see how their eyes are gathered into one". 

Last edited by anbuend on 22 Jan 2011, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:08 pm

Dr_Horrible wrote:

To illustrate this, this music video could perhaps shed a light on how I felt during my upbringing and most of my life.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyrFko0C5Pk&feature=related[/youtube]

Does this seem familiar?

I think that tends to be fairly common amongst those with AS and those with certain schizophrenia spectrum disorders as well.

asperquarian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2011, 9:22 pm

anbuend wrote:
"People with autistic conditions occasionally report abnormalities in their subjective experience of time, experiencing a period of an hour as a minute having passed.

People with temporal lobe epilepsy report time being stretched, sometimes almost to infinity. Anthony Peake has researched this and links it to glutamate in the brain, and possibly to DMT in the pineal gland. (Peake isn't a reductionist, however, his work is well worth checking out.) Michael Persinger's "god helmet" simulates "religious" experience via a sort of induced TLE.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:44 pm

I have TLE and very litte sense of time to begin with. But I don't think the issue is that I'm having seizures.

As for religious experiences, there's a difference between having a strong emotional experience induced by messing with the brain in some way, and a genuine spiritual experience which has to cause a positive lasting change in your ethics to be real in my book. Unfortunately many people calling themselves religious/spiritual have missed that distinction and end up seeking a sort of internal/emotional lightshiw, which tends to then create a lot of selfishness. Temporal lobe seizures in my case have also involved things like a vivid visual hallucination of an object I've seen before (such as a Japanese doll belonging to my mother). That doesn't mean that when seeing the real Japanese doll in real life the image originated in my brain instead of from the doll. These ways of affecting the temporal lobes cause what I'd call a spiritual hallucination. But contrary to people on both sides who use that as evidence for or against the existence of God, "spiritual hallucinations" don't prove either that God is or isn't real. No more than a visual hallucination proves the object hallucinated could or couldn't exist.