Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:54 pm

I realise I'm a little late jumping on the bandwagon on this one, but I was wondering what your opinions of Glee's "self-diagnosed asperger's" character Sugar Motta were, and what it means for the portrayal of Asperger's in the media. To be honest, I was a little bothered by it, because to me it felt like they were taking the mickey out of (making fun of) our disorder, saying it's just a silly label that anyone can pick up and apply to themselves whenever they feel like it. Plus I'm a little worried about the effect it will have on the NT's who don't have a good understanding of what Asperger's is; I don't want them assuming it's just an excuse for bad behaviour, the way it was portrayed in the show.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 11:57 pm

I hated how it was portrayed in the show - especially in contrast to how they portray other disabilities. To me, it says the writers think AS is a joke.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 12:08 am

I want to elaborate a little: I think the message they're trying to send is "hey, look at this character: AS is not a real disability." Just shows ignorance on their part.

I just find that character to be purely offensive, and I'm diagnosed with HFA (so similar to AS it's practically the same as AS in adulthood).