Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

Just to add--sometimes when sitting at computer, I tuck my arm behind me between my back and the chair. Or I lay my arm across the top of my head, as someone else here mentioned. The arm being bent at elbow...is an unconscious thing, as is using only my right hand to do chores. It's like I forget I even have a left arm.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

I do this myself and wonder what it means. I twist my hands at weird angles and always walk with my arms in front of me

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 4:23 pm

Imweird wrote:
Another thing I do often is if I'm loading the washing machine or dishwasher, I'll find myself using only one hand (pretty sure it's the right one in this case).

I'm similarly one-sided in acivities like loadning groceries from the cart into the car. You would think I'd have hand inter-coordination because I play piano and djembe and other instruments that require the hands to work together, but I frequently catch myself leaving one hand out in everyday chores.

Sparrow

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2012, 6:25 pm

Sparrow--when you do this, is the unused arm/had tucked tightly against your body? That's what I do. It feels like a subconscious need to protect the arms and hands. It's the same thing as when I catch myself walking with one elbow bent and the arm held tight against my body. I don't like my arms being vulnerable or...something like that.

DoctorYikes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2012, 6:38 pm

I do a kind of weird one when I'm not really paying attention -- I'll bend my hand back at the wrist, and the middle and ring fingers will bend back toward my palm like I'm trying to be spider-man or something. This tends to make them tremble a bit, which looks even odder.

Also notice from time to time that I'm walking without moving one of my arms, just kind of holding a hand up there... Doesn't help that I'm usually looking at the ground with a head-tilt. (Then, I'll catch myself staring at the ground. Thinking, 'Stop staring at the ground!'... I'll start staring at the ceiling.)

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:17 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
i had a picture taken of me, and i almost cropped it because i was embarrassed by how my hands looked.

but to be fair.... i actually hold my hands in weird positions so the picture is accurate. i like them to be flexed tightly in some way, otherwise i don't feel "right".

do you hold your hands in strange positions? is this an aspie or autie thing?

Yes but not like yours.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 7:24 pm

I'm not sure if I have Asperger's. I do this though.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:39 pm

YellowBanana wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
Its really really hard to figure out positions for my hands to be in that feel right...

Indeed. I think that is why I often sit on my hands.

I also often sit on my hands, especially to keep from stimming in front of people. There are some small finger ones that I can hide but it still looks odd.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 8:45 pm

wow, lots more interesting responses. thank you for sharing, everyone. sometimes people gently tease me about my hand positions.

some of you mentioned the non-dominant arm thingy.... i am the same way. i used to joke that i could almost live without my left arm without noticing it is missing!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm

Imweird wrote:
Sparrow--when you do this, is the unused arm/had tucked tightly against your body?

I haven't noticed. I'll pay more attention next time (I should be grocery shopping in a couple of days since the 1st is coming up) and I'll come back and say.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

RawkC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2022, 1:27 am

I’m constantly being made fun of for holding my hands in odd positions. I dunno why I do this, but it is a thing for me. I wonder if this has anything to do with anxiety.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2022, 5:01 pm

This sort of reminds me of pseudosciences like phrenology.

I REALLY wouldn’t trust this info AT ALL.