I finally have a weighted blanket!! !!

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:04 pm

My friend and I spent most of yesterday making my weighted blanket. Including going to get all the materials, it took nearly 12 hours! It's a 5'x6' 25Lb blanket using poly pellets.

This is the first weighted blanket I've tried and it feels AMAZING! I love the weight and with the materials we used, it's not that hot. The outer side is dark blue cotton with star patterns and the inner side is soft grey fleece The pellets are sewn into 216 squares throughout the blanket to distribute the weight.

My friends is making hers this week. I wanna try both blankets on me at once. That will be 50 pounds!

If you like deep pressure, I'd totally recommend a weighted blanket!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 2:10 pm

Wow, way to go! That sounds really great! :) I hope to make one sometime soon, too. Let us know it is with the 50 pounds double blankets :)

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:02 pm

Can someone elaborate as to the purpose of a "weighted blanket," as I have never heard of such a thing?

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:04 pm

CSBurks wrote:
Can someone elaborate as to the purpose of a "weighted blanket," as I have never heard of such a thing?

It's meant to help with calming. I need pressure (blankets of some sort) to sleep at night and find that a duvet is too hot, sometimes. I am hoping that a weighted blanket will solve this issue.

Well, that's my understanding anyway.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

Hmmm, I wish I could afford a weighted blanket. It would be the solution to all my problems. I get hot at night, but I also need to have a blanket over me and all snuggled into it like a cocoon ><

I never really thought of it until I kept seeing people talking about weighted blankets and sensory issues. Makes perfect sense xD

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:00 pm

CSBurks wrote:

The purpose of a weighted blanket is to provide deep pressure touch. This releases serotonin and dopamine (neurotransmitters that feel good and are calming). Weighted blankets are supposed to have a similar effect to a firm hug. For people with bad proprioception problems, the additional weight on the body can compensate for this in part making it easier to be aware of where the body is, thus increasing the sense of safety. Additionally some sources of information say that the deep pressure from the blanket can help override or distract from light touch for those with issues with light touch.

They are commonly marketed for those on the autism spectrum due to sensory issues and need for deep pressure. I've yet to find a NT who wants to or benefits from sleeping under 10kg of poly pellets :lol:

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2012, 9:45 pm

I really want one! Right now I have a large stuff tiger toy that I put on top of me when I sleep but he falls off in the night. :( How much cheaper is it to make one then it is to buy one??

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 9:48 pm

My friend was able to get the poly pellets for free and the cloth and thread cost me about $60

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm

I made mine small - only 42" by 36", but heavy for the size -- approx 19 lbs. To get it done fast, I made the pockets 6" by 6", which does an adequate job of evenly distributing the weight.

It has done wonders for my quality of sleep! I may make a larger one, or make an additional panel to attach to this one --- trying to keep each portion under 20lbs for the sake of the washing machine.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:03 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
My friend was able to get the poly pellets for free and the cloth and thread cost me about $60

That's a really good deal. I'm planning on making a weighted blanket and I priced a 25 pound box of poly pellets at around $130.

Sparrow

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
jetbuilder wrote:

That's a really good deal. I'm planning on making a weighted blanket and I priced a 25 pound box of poly pellets at around $130.

Sparrow

Hi Sparrow, you may want to check out pellets on ebay, I have found some there for 40-60$ including shipping for 20 pounds. I haven't bought any yet but the seller has good feedback so I am confident it would be ok to shop there for this type of item. Hope that helps!

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:08 pm

glasstoria wrote:
Hi Sparrow, you may want to check out pellets on ebay, I have found some there for 40-60$ including shipping for 20 pounds. I haven't bought any yet but the seller has good feedback so I am confident it would be ok to shop there for this type of item. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip! I need a bit more than 20 pounds but that's a really good deal and I could buy a couple of 2-pound bags to round out the weight. Much appreciated!

Sparrow

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:

Sparrow

Try finding a local plastics manufacturer. That's where my friend got it. Poly pellets are the raw materials, so if you can convince them to sell you some, it should be really cheap.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:14 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:

Try finding a local plastics manufacturer. That's where my friend got it. Poly pellets are the raw materials, so if you can convince them to sell you some, it should be really cheap.

I live in small town -- the only things they manufacture here are Ore-Ida frozen foods and cat litter. :-/

Sparrow

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2012, 10:15 pm

Cogs wrote:
The purpose of a weighted blanket is to provide deep pressure touch. This releases serotonin and dopamine (neurotransmitters that feel good and are calming). Weighted blankets are supposed to have a similar effect to a firm hug. For people with bad proprioception problems, the additional weight on the body can compensate for this in part making it easier to be aware of where the body is, thus increasing the sense of safety. Additionally some sources of information say that the deep pressure from the blanket can help override or distract from light touch for those with issues with light touch.

They are commonly marketed for those on the autism spectrum due to sensory issues and need for deep pressure. I've yet to find a NT who wants to or benefits from sleeping under 10kg of poly pellets :lol:

That is interesting about the serotonin and dopamine. i have anhedonia and thus little dopamine. Also, emotional pain seems to radiate from the chest or the gut...wonder if the pressure in that area alleviates anxiety and depression.

Charges
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2012, 10:32 pm

That would give me a horrid Charley horse.

Hope you guys enjoy them anyway! :)