Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 10:45 pm

At the top bar here on WP, I see this thing for "mothers day hints for men"..
I am left to wonder, when fathers day comes around, does it ever say "fathers day hints for women"?
Or is this one of those gender bias things that basically states women are more valued or valuable then men?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 10:51 pm

you could submit a column idea to alex, if you like.

that column was written by a man. most of the authors are male, in fact, so it makes sense that it would be from their perspective. if you would like to see more articles written by women, you could suggest different authors to alex as well.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 10:54 pm

Na, why bother, I judge a forum, or those who tend to it, according to their own values and character. even if its a bias. regardless of the sex of who wrote it. and who am I to say what is right or wrong, when I do not own or run or monitor the forum. I was just curious is all, and how others may feel about it, if anything at all.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 11:01 pm

so you want to complain but not solve anything, essentially.

the articles are part of the WrongPlanet.net site, but they are not part of the forums. so if you are judging anything, you are actually judging the articles. if you judge that area to be male-dominated, you would be correct. deciding it has something to do with women being more valued on the site, however.... is a laughable conclusion.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 11:18 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
so you want to complain but not solve anything, essentially.

the articles are part of the WrongPlanet.net site, but they are not part of the forums. so if you are judging anything, you are actually judging the articles. if you judge that area to be male-dominated, you would be correct. deciding it has something to do with women being more valued on the site, however.... is a laughable conclusion.

Complain? no, debate possibly.

The forum and who runs and cares for it IS responsible for what articles are allowed on its forum. and what is not, and what is ignored.

Male domination should not even be considered an issue unless bias still exists.

Does a bias exist? perhaps not. but still, ignoring that of the males roll in family life is still devaluing the male gender.

Do I wish to do something about it? no not really, I was just curious on what others felt about it when brought to their own attentions. mostly because I see allot of that in our world and not much I can do or say will change that. not only that, but I am not one to tell other people how to run their own things.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm

you may think that it devalues the male role, but then you'd also have to think that the article devalues the role of the daughter in the family. so it would be biased against both genders, or neither, depending on how you decide to view it.

it's interesting that you automatically thought that the existence of the article would be biased against men, yet it was written by a man, on a website owned by a man, for men to read.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:02 am

hyperlexian wrote:
you may think that it devalues the male role, but then you'd also have to think that the article devalues the role of the daughter in the family. so it would be biased against both genders, or neither, depending on how you decide to view it.

it's interesting that you automatically thought that the existence of the article would be biased against men, yet it was written by a man, on a website owned by a man, for men to read.

its a simple assumption, for through out my life I have seen many mothers showered with verification and attentions of their own rolls as parents, but vary few fathers even gets notice.

I am a single parent my self, and even when with partners such days as fathers days goes past with little notice, while mothers days does not. so its a common thing. mostly I just wanted to see what others thought of this.

But none the less, I only consider it a bias if there is never an article also made for fathers day as well for women, by those who run the forum.

And so does your statement of men are the ones writing the articles and running the forum, for the sex of such individuals is not an excuse for any bias. after all, what was much of the womens movement all about in its self other then to fight such kinds of bias? and I was unaware that this was supposed to be a mostly for mens forum..

Last edited by AspergianMutantt on 02 Aug 2012, 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2012, 12:09 am

I noticed that as well and wondered, "Where is the article for Fathers' Day?"

But I read the article, and in it, he mentions that he mostly writes about fathers. So that makes more sense, that somebody who normally writes about fathers would want to write something for mothers too. It appears to be written from a father's perspective in general, so I don't think he's devaluing the male role in the family.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:11 am

In truth I didn't think he was, I am more addressing the issues of the fathers days of the year tends to go ignored, on most any forum. does not women value a mans roll as a parent and in the home as well enough to write such things? or that of the children? or even that of other men? or that of those who runs or leads this forum?

Oh mind me not, I was just wanting to debate about something, one of those days.

Last edited by AspergianMutantt on 02 Aug 2012, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:25 am

AspergianMutantt wrote:
And so does your statement of men are the ones writing the articles and running the forum, for the sex of such individuals is not an excuse for any bias. after all, what was much of the womens movement all about in its self other then to fight such kinds of bias? and I was unaware that this was supposed to be a mostly for mens forum..

it isn't supposed to be a men's forum, only an article for men. i found it curious that you could draw a conclusion about a bias on the forum based on one article, when the opposite conclusion could more easily have been drawn.

my daughter is 18 years old. at no time did her school or teacher or family put less emphasis on father's day than on mother's day. my own father didn't suffer for attention either. maybe it is different here in Canada.

for single parents, the onus is often on the parent themselves to make a fuss about father's day or mother's day, because the estranged partner often will not do it. maybe try asking your family to help you out to do a proper celebration on father's day so that you can feel special.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:31 am

Thats not the point, you still miss it

IT IS VARY COMMON that those days of the year goes by with less emphasis by society.

Otherwise, no I do not feel ignored, my son actually throws much more of a fuss about fathers day then mothers day, even though he would do his best for both. but any partner I have been with often forgets when the day comes and goes, while I never have. and I see that happens with a lot of couples.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:34 am

AspergianMutantt wrote:
Thats not the point, you still miss it

IT IS VARY COMMON that those days of the year goes by with less emphasis by society.

Otherwise, no I do not feel ignored, my son actually throws much more of a fuss about fathers day then mothers day, even though he would do his best for both.

so the year doesn't go by without a fuss in your personal experience either, yet you think society needs to do more? who, exactly, is society, if not you and me?

i am struggling to figure out exactly what the problem is.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:36 am

Oh mind me not, I was just wanting to debate and fuss about something, one of those days where I am just feeling ornery.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 12:44 am

i was debating with you, heh. :D

Morningstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2012, 12:49 am

To be honest, I haven't really noticed that fathers' day goes ignored and mothers' day gets all the attention, but I have heard complaints about it, so I think I'm probably just not paying attention. I don't have a very good relationship with my parents, so I don't really pay attention to those days. I see ads advertising gifts for both parents in June and May respectively, so the marketing aspect seems to be equal, at least?

I get where you're coming from, but, even though I just joined recently, there seems to be an even mix of men and women here, as well as a lot of androgynous people. If you wanted to talk about different sites, or society in general, then maybe I would feel differently. In general, I'm all for valuing people of all genders, and am eager to see any gaps filled.

This took me forever to write, so somebody has probably beat me already :/

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 1:33 am

Actually I do feel there is some weight to my argument, other then I have never seen any statistics I can refer to unless I done my own studies. therefore there is nothing I can really base my arguments on unless others chime in. about the only thing I could or can do is point out that it was in doubt that any articles about fathers day was ever written here on WP, and this is a vary common thing on what forums I have visited.

In truth I think much of it is since many men end up being the disciplinarian in the family while the mother tends to do more of the nurturing, children feel less inclined to pay attention to fathers day. (although this is not true in my own home even when I was with a partner, because I have always been the more nurturing with the children, although most of the time the female partners forgot when fathers day was. )

Also (even though times are changing), in decades past men were mostly the bread winners (and so had the more funds to spend), and so had to watch were the earning went off to, while mothers tended to try and pamper their children more. and the father was home less (working) so there was less father child bonding then with the mother.

And men are more apt to look for more excuses and reasons to impress the women, then the women try to do with the men,.

Therefore when it comes to advertising and articles its more advantageous and profitable for a mothers day then fathers day, so there is less emphasis on a fathers day.