Page 8 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 7:26 pm

Oh yeah, i saw that movie! It was so @^%@# funny!

But i didn't watch the credits so i don't know that character...

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 1:46 am

I wonder if there are any AS rockers?

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 6:54 am

As in rock bands?

Try mine :P

LB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2005, 2:58 pm

Roland Deschain, main character of Stephen King's Dark Tower books.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2005, 3:21 pm

LB wrote:
Roland Deschain, main character of Stephen King's Dark Tower books.

The same thing occurred to me too! Roland is a textbook emotional recluse, and crazy about the Tower. I love those books.

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2005, 1:47 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I haven't seen all the movie yet (watching it at school), but the phantom form "Phantom of the Opera" is difinitely AS or HFA. Obsessive-Romanticism, social ineptitude, generally uncomfortable around people, and doesn't like change unless he wants it. Definitely musically gifted also. It scares me, because I was reminded of myself when watching the movie. I can relate to this character in so many different ways.

EDIT: Finished watching movie, he's definitely still AS or HFA.

I've only seen the film based on the musical (I have no idea what version your refering too), but from that and the little I do know about the original story (I say this because the following is based only on that and may be inaccurate), he seems too good at manipulating people (Christine in particular) to have AS/HFA and wouldn't having limited human contact explain the lack of other social skills and difficulty around people? The obsessiveness maybe, but the other traits don't seem too AS/HFA considering the situation.

I'm pretty sure that in the book he hasn't spent most of his life living down a hole like in the musical (I think he was an architect, but I may be wrong), but still I bet if even an NT spent six-months or so with out seeing or hardly seeing other humans they might still be uncomfortable around them. Even forgetting the isolation, considering his disfigurement he would probably have self-confidence and stigma issues.

ghotistix wrote:
I'm currently reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. When I was about halfway through the book, I was trying to figure out if the character Crake had AS when I turned the page and saw a chapter named "Asperger's U.", referring to the university Crake attends.

Here are a couple passages. Some stuff is confusing like the pleebland stuff, but you can just ignore that.

After five or six months Crake loosened up a bit. He was having to work harder than at HelthWyzer High, he wrote, because there was a lot more competition. Watson-Crick was known to the students there as Asperger's U,because of the high percentage of brilliant weirdos that strolled and hopped and lurched through its corridors. Demi-autistic, genetically speaking; single-track tunnel-vision minds, a marked degree of social ineptitude -- these were not your sharp dressers -- and luckily for everyone there, a high tolerance for mildly deviant public behaviour.
"More than at HelthWyzer?" asked Jimmy.
"Compared to this place, HelthWyzer was a pleebland," Crake replied. "It was wall-to-wall NTs."
"NTs?"
"Neurotypicals."
"Meaning?"
"Minus the genius gene."

I love the refreshing way AS is portrayed. Not as a disorder but as a different, sometimes better way of thinking.

Jimmy was becoming annoyed by Crake's way of introducing him -- "This is Jimmy, the neurotypical" -- but he knew better than to show it. Still, it seemed to be like calling him a Cro-Magnon or something. Next step they'd be putting him in a cage, feeding him bananas, and poking him with electroprods.

Did the author of that have Asperger's by any chance?

Sounds like my idea of a dream (Referring to the part, I've highlighted in bold).

EDIT: Interestingly, when I first saw the Film (as in the one based of the Andrew Lloyd Webber version), I thought Raoul was the bad one for stealing Christine but then I often get the wrong end of the stick with films. :roll:. I still think that the phantom in that version isn't so bad ...apart from hanging a few people ...but then he has really bad "issues".

Last edited by Sarah on 07 Jul 2005, 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 2:10 pm

That actually sounds like quite an interesting book. I will try to purchase it when I have money.

AND THEN I CRIED.

Sarah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jul 2005, 2:14 pm

Does anyone know what it's about anyway?

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:11 pm

I do not know. But it sounds interesting.

AND THEN I CRIED.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:24 pm

Thanks Cindy, that looks like an intresting book.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 4:29 pm

Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle (and possibly Dewey too) I was watching the first episode today and it was weird how Lois thought they wanted to send Malcolm to a sped class and was talking about him being strange and all that.

And Tsukasa from .hack//sign for anyone whos seen that but that seems to somewhat be caused by the trama he experiences.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 5:34 pm

Sarah, I've read the first few chapters of the book Phantom is based on. But regardless of his isolation, he's still very gifted. Living under an opera could've caused that(giftedness), but it's still an intersting notion. I myself happen to be vey good at manipulating people, so it'd be safe to say that Aspies can do that. Once you understand how a mind works, it can be rather fun toying with it.

Sarah wrote:
EDIT: Interestingly, when I first saw the Film (as in the one based of the Andrew Lloyd Webber version), I thought Raoul was the bad one for stealing Christine but then I often get the wrong end of the stick with films. :roll: I still think that the phantom in that version isn't so bad ...apart from hanging a few people ...but then he has really bad "issues".

Same here, Raoul was a self-absorbed prick IMHO. Hated him, even after Phantom went insane. Needless to say, my Musical Theatre was disturbed by the fact that I sided with Phantom the whole movie.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 5:36 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle (and possibly Dewey too) I was watching the first episode today and it was weird how Lois thought they wanted to send Malcolm to a sped class and was talking about him being strange and all that.

Malcom defanitely isn't. He's a socially needy genius with stereotypical Middle School nerdy angst. Dewey could be savant though.

IronSails
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2005, 10:06 pm

- from Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon

Lawrence Pritchard Waterhouse, socially inept codebreaker genious who helps end WW2 and assists Alan Turring with the first computer.

Bobby Shaftoe, socially inept Marine/Spec Ops bad ass who gets the missions from Waterhouse's codebreaking efforts.

Honorable mention for Stephenson's interpretation of General Macarthur

One of my top 5 books of all time.

Also Ender Wiggen, Bean and most of the other kids from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Also in my Top 5.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 12:48 am

Endersdragon wrote:

And Tsukasa from .hack//sign for anyone whos seen that but that seems to somewhat be caused by the trama he experiences.

Malcolm in the Middle Malcolm definatley not. He has way too much luck with relationships. Dewey, however could possibly be autistic. But he may not be that autistic.

AND THEN I CRIED.