Page 6 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 8:44 pm

I kinda wonder a bit about Jon Arbuckle in the Garfield comic strip, too...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2005, 9:52 pm

Jon Arbuckle from Garfield, maybe.

I'm not recognizing that many names, I don't read. But, I've been compared to Piggy from Lord of the Flies on multiple occassions.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 8:06 am

Jon Arbuckle may be slightly Asperger's, but his main problem is Garfield.

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 5:12 pm

Malcolm, lol.

Okay, here's one: Egon Spangler from the Ghost Busters.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 9:45 pm

I would have to kindof agree with Jon Arbuckle (Garfield). His constant unsuccessful attempts to find a date are a tipoff, as are his endless private eccentricities.

Might Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs be an Aspie?

Mike

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2005, 10:10 pm

i suppose calvin could be...but answer me this..Who do you think is more Aspie-ish..charlie brown or schroeder?

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2005, 10:25 pm

MrMeaner wrote:
i suppose calvin could be...but answer me this..Who do you think is more Aspie-ish..charlie brown or schroeder?

I would say Schroeder. He was playing the piano with complete competence as soon as he was able to sit up on his own, yet had no idea what to do about Lucy's advances.

But come to think of it, It seems to me that pretty much every character in that strip was AS to some extent (Linus with the blanket and heavy knowledge of Christianity, Snoopy and his fantasy worlds, etc).

Mike

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 1:39 am

Yeah, but the thing is that I doubt the creator of Peanuts intended for the characters to have AS. With Shroeder, he may have originally meant it to symbolise the fact that children are not really interested in romance and the confusion about such things. Oh well. At least I can say that he may have AS.

AND THEN I CRIED.

MrMeaner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2005, 1:19 pm

well i'm not going to say that he has AS, just that he's seems aloof and on his little piano all the time, and ignores lucy's flirtations when she's around..well then, she is kinda annoying..i always thought him and marcy (peppermint patty's friend) should hook up..jk

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 2:40 pm

What would be better is if Snoopy and Garfield created their own gang and took over the drug trafficing in Seasame street (they will make loads from the gay 'couple' Bert and Ernie). They could use Big Bird to control the pimping. This is not nearly as messed up as my evil smurfs idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AND THEN I CRIED.

zuma181
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2005, 2:10 am

Dr. Strangelove

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 6:47 am

Malcolm_Scipo wrote:
The Romulans do not though. It is hilarious. The Vulcans are logical and good and have AS while the Romulans are the complete opposite.

Read Captain's Blood by William Shatner if you can find it. It explains a lot about this....

The Romulans are actually more like AS than the vulcans in that respect, they still have the emotions as well as the logic.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2005, 8:06 am

I would prefer the Romulans not to be associated with AS because in one of the more recent episodes they are evil.

AND THEN I CRIED.

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 12:23 pm

I'm currently reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake. When I was about halfway through the book, I was trying to figure out if the character Crake had AS when I turned the page and saw a chapter named "Asperger's U.", referring to the university Crake attends.

Here are a couple passages. Some stuff is confusing like the pleebland stuff, but you can just ignore that.

After five or six months Crake loosened up a bit. He was having to work harder than at HelthWyzer High, he wrote, because there was a lot more competition. Watson-Crick was known to the students there as Asperger's U. because of the high percentage of brilliant weirdos that strolled and hopped and lurched through its corridors. Demi-autistic, genetically speaking; single-track tunnel-vision minds, a marked degree of social ineptitude -- these were not your sharp dressers -- and luckily for everyone there, a high tolerance for mildly deviant public behaviour.
"More than at HelthWyzer?" asked Jimmy.
"Compared to this place, HelthWyzer was a pleebland," Crake replied. "It was wall-to-wall NTs."
"NTs?"
"Neurotypicals."
"Meaning?"
"Minus the genius gene."

I love the refreshing way AS is portrayed. Not as a disorder but as a different, sometimes better way of thinking.

Jimmy was becoming annoyed by Crake's way of introducing him -- "This is Jimmy, the neurotypical" -- but he knew better than to show it. Still, it seemed to be like calling him a Cro-Magnon or something. Next step they'd be putting him in a cage, feeding him bananas, and poking him with electroprods.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2005, 12:30 pm

Is that a real book and ehm, not a childrens book. Not that I think it is a childrens book, I just didn't know there were any books about aspies..

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2005, 12:42 pm

It's a real novel, definitely not a children's book, and it's not really about AS. Crake is just a character who seems to have it.