Neanderthal really less advanced than H. Sapiens?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MEDrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2012, 2:14 pm

All this discussion of Neanderthal DNA having part in autism has created quite a lot of ideas. Here's one I haven't seen, but I'm new here so maybe I missed it.

Neanderthals supposedly evolved around what, 2 million years ago and modern H. sapiens around 250,000 years ago. If they were nearly identical to H. sapiens and had larger cranial capacities, then it would make sense that in all that time Neanderthal people had opportunity to create great advances in technology, art, and society.

Go back 200,000 years ago. Neaderthals had 1.8 million years to advance as a people while modern Hs had only 50,000 years. How primitive would those modern Hs have been?

Besides, here's another thing to consider: Who says that every new species is an improvement over the last? Maybe Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon were actually much more advanced than we give them credit. It makes little sense that 'primitive' Neanderthal genetics plays a role in creating brilliant, gifted, creative minds. It is more logical then that Neanderthal, having more brain capacity and a 1.75 million head start on society were, in fact, the progenitors of the relatively primitive modern species adaptation of civilization.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:48 pm

Neanderthals evolved between 60,000 and 150,000 years ago, roughly at the same time as Homo sapiens sapiens. One specie beat the other in a harsh competition.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 6:26 pm

Quote:
“They lived 250,000 years or more in the harshest climates experienced by primates, not just humans.” In contrast, we modern humans have only been around for 100,000 years or so and moved into colder, temperate regions only in the past 40,000 years.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... z235twr42Q

As for one species beating the other, they also managed to absorb some of their DNA in the process - not to mention that concepts like "more advanced" are value judgments that have little to do with which species survive and which go extinct. There is no such thing as "advanced", just suited to a particular niche or not.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 8:10 pm

I dunno
therefore, aliens

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 9:36 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... -paintings
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... iners.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... n-invasion
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/ ... intcmp=239

The last one is especially interesting as the neanderthals physiology would have made using a spear thrower difficult, it could be that they interbred and there was a gradual selective pressure against some neanderthal traits. Also for some reason I can't see the neanderthals who lived on the edges of the edge of retreating ice age living in rags, not when skins are available, just because they didn't have needles (if they didn't (like the Aztecs and the wheel).

As to the more advanced always winning look at the Huns and Mongols.

MEDrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2012, 11:56 pm

Wow, I'm getting rusty with my fact checking.

Anyways, the point was our ancestors were not much different than us and certainly no less intelligent or advanced. People get offended if someone suggests the origin of their nature is archaic human DNA, I'm no caveman!

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2012, 2:27 am

IIRC from my Human Evolution course, Anthropology has not concluded that we actually "defeated" the Neanderthals, all that is known is that our species overlapped, and we survived, although the behavior and brow ridge of some people lead me to think otherwise.

I have a theory that is consistent with how several plagues and viruses began in modern times, which is that the cohabitation of multiple species of primates may have caused the perfect strain or mutation for a viral outbreak that wipes out the Neanderthals without our effort. IIRC our numbers were extremely low at or around the time the Neanderthals we extinct. Besides, when it comes down to it, how different are we really, both at the micro and macro levels, from the behavior we mock and and ridicule as Neanderthal behavior? Humanity has always known war, senseless acts of violence, selfishness, etc. As alluded to earlier, it may not have been the result of our merit. For all we know, just as some populations of human beings have evolved to deal with extreme food shortages, ie. pygmies, maybe being more gracile in nature we were better equipped to deal with a severe food/fresh water shortage?

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 2:43 am

Nonperson wrote:
Quote:
“They lived 250,000 years or more in the harshest climates experienced by primates, not just humans.” In contrast, we modern humans have only been around for 100,000 years or so and moved into colder, temperate regions only in the past 40,000 years.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... z235twr42Q

As for one species beating the other, they also managed to absorb some of their DNA in the process - not to mention that concepts like "more advanced" are value judgments that have little to do with which species survive and which go extinct. There is no such thing as "advanced", just suited to a particular niche or not.

There is such a thing as more advanced. Multicelled organisms are more advanced than single-celled organisms. They are literally more evolved and came later in evolution.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 6:37 pm

How about planet of the apes for a metaphoric movie with Homos being the Apes. Perhaps neanderthals created Atlantis

surely a single cell organism is more advanced than a multicelled one since it functions more concisely

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 6:44 pm

wogaboo wrote:
There is such a thing as more advanced. Multicelled organisms are more advanced than single-celled organisms. They are literally more evolved and came later in evolution.

They are more complex and came later in evolution. Not everything that comes later in evolution is more complex, nor does either of those translate to "more advanced".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_ ... complexity
"Nowadays, this idea of "progression" in evolution is regarded as misleading, with natural selection having no intrinsic direction and organisms selected for either increased or decreased complexity in response to local environmental conditions"

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 12:17 am

I have spent the last few hours going over this research featured on rdos.net and while i find a few of the more off hand suggestions quite naive, improbable and amusing, I have to say that I am willing to give it some credence. It certainly seems likely that Aspies have genetic traits derived from human diversity and cross breeding. I also have an occipital bun, a bump at the middle center of my skull which i am informed is a sign of intelligence. It is quite rare I am told.. I wonder how many other Aspies have this.

Every thing that is alive on this planet has been evolving for an equal amount of time since all life presumably has common ancestry. Any other way of looking at it is subjective and pragmatic.

I recommend reading the research.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 1:23 am

Kurgan wrote:
Neanderthals evolved between 60,000 and 150,000 years ago, roughly at the same time as Homo sapiens sapiens. One specie beat the other in a harsh competition.

clearly he is talking about Snowboarding

OlivG
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 1:43 am

Maybe they were practically poor but theoretically more advanced, like Aspies often are.

In Minecraft I was always the architect and designer of my team because the others didn't have sufficient imagination, but after a while one of them reminded that I could dig sand with a stone shovel instead of a wooden one :lol:

wogaboo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2012, 3:20 am

Projectile wrote:

Every thing that is alive on this planet has been evolving for an equal amount of time since all life presumably has common ancestry.

It doesn't work that way. Just because 2 organisms have been evolving for the same amount of time does mean they have experienced an equal amount of evolution. The concept of progress in evolution is very subtle. Even most eminent biologists are not able to grasp it, which is why it is dismissed as outdated.

MEDrake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2012, 10:37 am

benr3600 wrote:
IIRC from my Human Evolution course, Anthropology has not concluded that we actually "defeated" the Neanderthals, all that is known is that our species overlapped, and we survived, although the behavior and brow ridge of some people lead me to think otherwise.

I have a theory that is consistent with how several plagues and viruses began in modern times, which is that the cohabitation of multiple species of primates may have caused the perfect strain or mutation for a viral outbreak that wipes out the Neanderthals without our effort. IIRC our numbers were extremely low at or around the time the Neanderthals we extinct. Besides, when it comes down to it, how different are we really, both at the micro and macro levels, from the behavior we mock and and ridicule as Neanderthal behavior? Humanity has always known war, senseless acts of violence, selfishness, etc. As alluded to earlier, it may not have been the result of our merit. For all we know, just as some populations of human beings have evolved to deal with extreme food shortages, ie. pygmies, maybe being more gracile in nature we were better equipped to deal with a severe food/fresh water shortage?

This is why I post here! I haven't the blessings of a university education, so there are certainly some lacking elements in that area. Of course, I have noticed frequent use of the word "assume" in many research articles I've read, a bit disconcerting to know scientists make LOTs of assumptions.

Anyway, I have the occipital bump, too.

Someone mentioned the Neanderthals building Atlantis. Interestingly enough, that's one of my hypotheses. Neanderthals were a northern people, and may have been the Hyperborean people I've read about in some ancient texts. If they lived far to the north prior to the last ice age, then glaciation would have slowly pushed them south into other people's land. Fighting for land and food probably exacted a heavy toll on them and interbreeding took care of the rest. For all we know there were huge cities all across Canada and northern Europe and we'd never know it because 10,000 ft of ice scoured the land clean before receding 12,000 years ago. If New York City were covered by glaciers for tens of thousands of years ago, would we even know it was there today?

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 11:12 am

Well.. I have a degree in biological anthropology, huma evolution is a special interest of mine.

I'll keep it short.

I personally think there might be something "to" the whole neanderthal DNA = aspergers thing.

The thought is that Humans beat out neanderthals because although the individual neanderthal is thought to have been more intelligent than an individual human, it is theorized that neanderthals as a group did not communicate with each other well or pass along information very effectively. They were less of a pack animal so to speak than H sapiens. As a result humans as a group were smarter and therefore able to out strategize and out comete neanderthals (while, uh, absorbing some genes) in the process. The reasons (well some of them) that it is thought that neanderthals were more "individual" and less "group" is the lack of artwork attributable to neanderthals and the lack of creativity in general among the implements found that are attributed to neanderthals. Very few creative works (like jewelry) are attributed to them and those that are are "knock offs" of similar h. sapien creations. This indicates "less" communication and socialization among a group of neanderthals because, afterall, what would jewelry and artwork been for at that point in time? what is the purpose? To tell a story or display social status. Religious and spiritual reasons as well. The lack of it by a species that it otherwise very intelligent, speaks volumes. The things they find at neanderthal sites are very functional and very well done.

My honest opinion on what really happened is that there was no great neanderthal slaughter. I think there was a little slaughter on either side, but that ultimately they just merged. Neanderthals would not have looked THAT different from humans and an offspring between the two certainly would have just looked like a slightly burly human. Do some more cross breeding over a few generations and really you've got something indistiguishable from h. sapiens especially if there were more h. sapiens to begin with...