Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MiLK
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2012, 1:50 pm

Would you help someone out who is in a tough situation in life (cannot sustain him/herself and has a very low income) acquire a skill if it means the person would be able to finish studies or it means the person could get a job and/or become self-sufficient because of the newly acquired skill and not ask anything for it in return?

Say IT-skills, art skills, help with maths or other subjects.

And if the person suffered from ASD, too?

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:26 pm

It's personal choice. ASD has nothing to do with it. If you wanted to help a mate out, and help him learn how to draw eyes on a manga character better, so he can pass his art exam, that is personal choice.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:37 pm

Yes, if I had a skill I would be happy to teach it to someone whether they have ASD or not.

In Judaism there are levels of charity - from giving grudgingly at the bottom to helping someone become self sufficient as the highest level. I think that makes a lot of sense. If I had the opportunity to do something like that I would do it gladly. Unfortunately, not many people would find employment via my skills - sewing, knitting, knowledge of Judaism and cats etc.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

Generally yes, but it depends on the situation.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

It depends on the person. I have tried to help numerous people over the years but most of them didn't do the positive things necessary to make a break for the better. Most of the times I feel frustrated in the end because they wind up right back where they started.

morslilleole
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:29 pm

In most situations I love to help if I can. I usally do help if I think I can, one way or another.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:07 pm

Depends on if I liked the person and I had the time and energy to spare.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 4:21 pm

Sure I would, in most situations. The only way I might not would be if the demands on me were extreme or if this person had done something terrible to me in the past. I'm happy to help anyone I can, and they wouldn't have to have ASD, either.