Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2012, 4:17 pm

When things happen that are hard to grasp or accept, I tend to not be able to grasp them at all. It can truly be anything. People have often told me about the sheer size of Manhattan and it doesn't sink in for me. As many times as I've been to Manhattan, or other big cities, it doesn't sink in.

I'm, having a hard time explaining it. But it's sort of like, how some things will evoke a stunned, "wow..." from some people, and then for me, it's usually an indifferent, "oh."

I hope at least someone gets what I mean... It's a little like when my dog died. My sister was crying, my dad was upset, but I was unaffected. It didn't seem to sink in that she was gone.

I'm called insensitive for this. Anyone know what I mean?

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 4:37 pm

That is an interesting way to say it. A personal example: someone lied to me pretty big once. I didn't see it coming at all. four years later, I still don't understand at all how it happened. the kind of thing where most people would cry a lot. even the person who lied to me cried a lot. I've never actually "felt" about it. I've never gotten passed that raw confusion and disbelief. But its not like Kevin in home alone, "OMG, I can't believe it!" It's this subtle, freezing inside sort of thing, like an immediate, instinctual decision to not even touch the situation at all.
Another example: Someone I was getting close to said, "I'm sorry. I can't talk to you anymore." And in the same way, that came seemingly out of nowhere. Literally having a great conversation the previous day. And all I did was look at him, turn around and walk out the door and go on my custom evening walk, thinking about how crazy these humans are.

Is it called insensitive if someone doesn't coo a rabid grizzly attacking them?

Also sometimes when its a good thing, people around me will say, "Wow, isn't that incredible?!" And I might just nod, and it could be due to something like the fact that they are getting up in my face grinning like fools like its going to get me to grin too, and they are acting too intense for me to get involved. And also because other times when I get excited about things other people don't care or they get embarrassed at how I show my excitement.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 4:40 pm

I've never been able to emote IRL which leads to completely toned down answers like you're describing.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Merculangelo wrote:
And also because other times when I get excited about things other people don't care or they get embarrassed at how I show my excitement.

I get excited over the smallest things. For example, the slightest chance that I might be able to do something that most parents wouldn't allow excites me, and it ends up being all I can talk about for a while. I just assume people find it annoying.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

alecazam3567 wrote:
Merculangelo wrote:
And also because other times when I get excited about things other people don't care or they get embarrassed at how I show my excitement.

I get excited over the smallest things. For example, the slightest chance that I might be able to do something that most parents wouldn't allow excites me, and it ends up being all I can talk about for a while. I just assume people find it annoying.

This. I get giddy over some stuff. But then some on has a death in the family and I'm like, "oh... wut?"

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

CWA wrote:
alecazam3567 wrote:
Merculangelo wrote:

This. I get giddy over some stuff. But then some on has a death in the family and I'm like, "oh... wut?"

I know what you mean. it did not hit me when my grandma died for like a month