Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 3:21 am

I still feel very alien about the whole concept, even spending 16 hours in an autism spectrum conference over 2 days has not shed light on autism for me. I listened to 30 experts, authors and doctors.

I think i have my own issues with retaining information. I only absorb 10 % of what i hear and I am even more confused than before.

Also to the fact that each of us with ASD are as individual as people are individual. No two are the same. Also because my child doesnt even know herself why or what her issues are and what her feelings are.

I feel dissappointed because the experts say, when you want to know the child, go to the mother, she is the expert. Um, not in this situation, I am at a loss.

My daughters main symptoms out of the home are fear of talking and will only speak if directly spoken to, never spontaneous. So her life is very narrow.

She has little issues sensory wise, only some food textures and they are very minimal. So I feel that she is aspergers with not too many issues, but the issues are serious enough.

She worries about germs and chemicals.

My other beef about autism is the name change next year. Can you just imagine how the NTS will react then. Because before the diagnosis I assumed autism was quiet disabling.

Next year my daughter will have autism, and not aspergers.

I've heard the talk in the conference and for the life of me, couldnt repeat why they want to lump them all under one umbrella, I swear I have a learning disability.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:11 am

I think it's sometimes easy to lose track of the fact that you are still your own person, you still have your individual personality and that there could be many personality traits you have that are just you, and not the ASD.

With autism being a spectrum, there is so much variety, and this makes it a bit confusing. There are so many stereotypes out there about autistic people, and not everyone who has autism has every trait or behaviour.

Just think of it as people with autism have their world where everything makes sense and NTs have their world, hopefully the two worlds can merge in a way that works for everyone. But there needs to be a lot more understanding of autism and what people with autism need before that could truly happen.

All you need to remember is that you fit somewhere, that doesn't necessarily define you as a person, we are all unique.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 6:59 pm

Thanks, you have described this well for me.

My other beef, is because my child is not typically autistic and not loud or disruptive in the school classroom and no one needs to quieten her down, she gets forgotten about, and her learning is suffering greatly. I find this selfish on the teachers behalf.

in a nutshell, if she were typical autistic she would get the help, she's not so she gets nothing. She doesnt get any funding or aide

I have given them one more month to put in a management plan for my child and or then I'm going over their head. :(

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

Let me sum it up in the usual way:

"IF you meet/know one autistic, you know one autistic."

Sincerely,
Matthew

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

thankyou, I will try to remember that in future. If I meet one, I've met one, just as each is individual.