I think I'm diagnosed, but my moms hiding it from me.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 5:44 pm

I think I'm diagnosed or suspected to have aspergers but my mom is hiding it from me. I remember when I was around 6 or 7, I went to the doctor for a school check-up. I was sopposed to take my clothes off so the doctor could check my spine. But I refused, and I had a anxiety related melt down right infront of the docter. That night my dad went shopping with me and he said that the docter thought I had a "mental condition" (his words,not mine).

the docter gave my mom various different brochures and business cards of different therapists. I went to one, and after 2 appointments we stopped going but I don't remember why.

any way, one of my favorite musicians is adam young (from owl city) and he is diagnosed with aspergers. Today my mom found out and was talking to me about him, and I think she was trying to build up the conversation to say I'm diagnosed with it or suspected to have it, but my brother cut her off and she never continued the conversation.

the thing is, I don't want to ask her about it because my parents don't accept diagnoses well. my sister is diagnosed with ADD and my brother has severe OCD, and my parents have fought with doctors saying that there wrong and they started fighting with each other. I think they want me to be the "normal" child. What should I do?

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 5:48 pm

my parents have never said anything about my diagnosis. they have talked about with other people while I was in the room, but the way they talked about me was like I was not even there.

atdevel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2012, 6:02 pm

Most likely they don't want you to be defined by a label. But sometimes labels are necessary. I've found out in excess they do more harm than good.

minotaurheadcheese
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2012, 6:07 pm

How old are you? My parents hid my IQ from me for a LONG time because they didn't think I was ready to handle it well, and it was frustrating, but when they felt I was mature enough they talked about it with me. Is there any chance your parents are waiting for similar reasons?

"And there are days when I would be away . . . Oh, wherever men of my sort used to go, long ago. Wandering on paths that other men have not seen. Behind the sky. On the other side of the rain." -Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

Have you tried snooping around like looking in file cabinets they have or looking in drawers where they keep things? You may find your school records and medical records. That is what I did once when I was 15 and I found out I was diagnosed with ADD and I had other labels before AS.

I also didn't know I was diagnosed with autism and the reason why my parents never told me I am guessing is because they didn't believe it. Mom did tell me that she and dad took me to this one doctor one time when I was a baby and it was before I had tubes put in and the doctor said I was autistic. They never took me to that doctor again. Mom said he was just arrogant and he didn't bother to hear about my medical history.

Mom never told me about the other labels because she didn't know what was wrong with me she said and she didn't think it was that important. They didn't even tell me I have a disability. I found out on my own when I over heard my mom talking about it on the phone and I saw in her profile for the secret sisters group she was in that she has a daughter with a disability.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 6:27 pm

fefe333 wrote:
What should I do

Well, if you are fairly sure she was trying to build up to tell you, you could just consider saying "you know, I've learned a little about Aspergers and it seems like me. What do you think?"

I have always believed parents should tell their kids. But actually telling them is hard. I don't know why. My son actually broached the question with me. He told me that a character in his book at school had autism and then he asked me if I thought he had autism. I asked him what he thought and he said "well maybe a little because some things are super easy for me, but regular things are so hard." The truth is, his official diagnoses are ADHD and NVLD, so technically he does not have ASD. Though I did tell him that there are similarities between the way his brain works and the way autistic brains work.

Good luck. Just know that this is probably as uncomfortable for your mom as it is for you. I would also caution that with your sibling's diagnoses, there is also a high probability that your parents have issues of their own. That always confounds things even further.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:49 pm

My mum hid my diagnosis for years. I was tested when at the age of 5. I didn't find out that I was 14, going on 15.