Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:21 am

I'm trying to figure out some ways to manage my anxiety, depression and melt-downs, now that I've come out of denial and accepted that they do exist (and are out of control). I've found that some things help, such as keeping a routine and keeping ear plugs and headphones handy for when things around me sound/feel chaotic.

I was wondering what other people do to help manage their symptoms, and hoping that you guys could share some of your techniques with me!

Thanks!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:31 am

I listen to audiobooks on my Ipod at work. It cuts out a lot of the noise and I can focus more on my work. I can kind of go into "my own little world" and not worry about the things around me.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

Holograms and holographic wrapping paper. When I was stressed at work I'd put on rock music and watch the light reflect off my paper. Find it so relaxing and destressing even just the wrapping paper especially the blue end of the spectrum (like it better).

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

I use ear plugs, opaque coloured contact lenses (fluorescent lighting), fidget toys, stress balls, meditation recordings, lists, a "prompt book" for daily chores and activities, dry erase boards or sticky notes all over the place, soft lighting at home, pictures of my cats, and keeping a book I really like with me. I also find that knowing what supports are available to me should I need them, and keeping a list of them, makes me feel more confident in my ability to remain calm.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 5:20 pm

Music. Always music.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

CrystalStars wrote:
Music. Always music.

Music, headphones, and a pitch dark room.........travel to your inner world and seek serenity when necessary.

*just an opinion and should be taken as such

TheSunAlsoRises

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:45 pm

Personally, mindfullness-based therapy has done wonders for my anxiety. It focuses me in the present moment, reminding me that anxiety is natural, temporary, and will always pass. Having a "doodle book" where you can let go of all your thoughts and feelings before they build is another thing I use and find effective.

Headphones are also a great idea: do keep using them. Music allows you to get into your own inner world and focus less on the chaotic world around you.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

As others have said music is key.

Also, for me, it's been very helpful (when it's possible) to leave the stressful environment and find some sort of quiet place to be on your own and relax. When I'm really feeling stressed , even just a few minutes getting away from everything and everyone helps to calm me down a lot.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Cannabis. When I'm agitated to the point of meltdown a few hits will get me out of the red zone and allow me to think again. I will say that I've been forgetting to take my vitamins and supplements for a few weeks now and I'm noticing significant changes for the worse. How I can forget to take them every day for weeks seems weird even to me, but I do. So, I'd have to say my supplements help me get through the day too.

Ear plugs, sun glasses and brimmed hat are all standard for me. I never leave home without them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:55 pm

Music and Swagbucks. Talking to my friends and watching the Olympics or hockey on TV works as well. I find that doing chores on a cooler day can get me through the day and keep me warm. The Kinks also get me through the day as well. There are some days that talking to my friends and family on the phone helps as well.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:46 pm

One of my favorite ways to de-stress is to stand in a hot shower, with the water just running off the top of my head, with the lights turned off in the bathroom and the door closed, so it's totally dark. I do this until I feel like getting out or the hot water runs out, whichever comes first.

I also like to sit in hot cars, as it relaxes me for some reason. If I've had a stressful day at work I will often turn the car heater on full blast even if it's already hot outside, just to bake myself for several minutes. The excess heat like that feels like being under a thick heavy cover for me.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

Canaspie wrote:
Also, for me, it's been very helpful (when it's possible) to leave the stressful environment and find some sort of quiet place to be on your own and relax. When I'm really feeling stressed , even just a few minutes getting away from everything and everyone helps to calm me down a lot.

^^this too^^
Several times per day at work I go to the locker room for 5 minutes or so just to be somewhere quiet and alone for a while.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

matchbox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm

Music and Doggies!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

Two cheap energy drinks also get me through a days that I work with my supervisor. One before work and one after work. :bounce: :D

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2012, 1:27 am

Designing circuits, solving physics problems, and a mound of cocaine the size of Mt. Everest. Just kidding; I do not design circuits.

nrau
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2012, 6:36 am

A nice MMO is the best mood-booster

and coke. frozen coke. no alcohol, it makes it worse