Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Feb 2006
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,989

07 Dec 2006, 1:07 am

You know I've read alot about how females with as/hfa are undiganoise(sp) because they
generally act ''smarter'' then the males. But aren't females generally more mature then male in
any type of level. I mean look at average 20 year college guys, so many of them act crazy and do crazy things. most females i've seen act more calmer and seem smarter then most males of any level. females and males
just have different personality related to their sex, thats all.

Thats my 2 cents.



KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

07 Dec 2006, 1:11 am

I had a thread asking this ratio before, and I heard from various forgotten sources that the ratio could be anything from 1:4 (men:women) to 1:100! I'll let the other users voice their opinion (again), just so that you don't have to switch threads. :)


_________________
I was sad when I found that she left
But then I found
That I could speak to her,
In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,108
Location: Houston, Texas

07 Dec 2006, 4:13 am

I think the official ratio is 1 female for every 4 males--and this is only those who have been formally diagnosed.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,337

07 Dec 2006, 4:31 am

The old official ratio was 1:4 I think its 1:2 now and dropping.


_________________
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,108
Location: Houston, Texas

07 Dec 2006, 4:33 am

Fraya wrote:
The old official ratio was 1:4 I think its 1:2 now and dropping.


I think I agree with you there.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,332
Location: Louisville, KY

07 Dec 2006, 8:37 am

I was reading a journal article which addressed this issue and lead to two hypotheses. I'll repost here:

Quote:
As far as the causes of sex differences in these [autistic] traits are concerned, we [Constantino and Todd, 2006] found no evidence to suggest the existence of sex-specific genetic influences. Rather, sex differences appear to arise from discrepant phenotypic manfestations of genetic and environmental influences that are common to both sexes. Two different models for these sex effects explain the data equally well. In one model, girls appear to be more sensitive to common environmental influences that improve their capacity for reciprocal social behavior and thereby reduce the pentrance of genetic liability for autistic traits. The other model . . . shows that girls experience a phenotypic dampening (in comparison with boys) of the genetic and environmental influences that operate to bring about autistic traits.


The genetic model makes sense to me as it's often been shown that females tend to have advantages, genetically, in recovery, avoiding ill effects, etc. The male to female birth rate should speak for itself. More males are born, but more females tend to live.


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2005
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,332
Location: Louisville, KY

07 Dec 2006, 8:40 am

Fraya wrote:
The old official ratio was 1:4 I think its 1:2 now and dropping.


I don't believe that has been updated yet, unfortunately. With the strictness of criteria and that the whole field of AS was originally based off almost completely male subjects, it's likely many females are missed or that we really do tend to be less severe on average (see my post above).

I think ideas are changing for AS about the old 10:1 to the 4:1 seen in Autistic Disorder, but so far I think that's only been a professional prediction and hasn't yet been born out by normative data.


_________________
My Science blog, Science Over a Cuppa - http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/


SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,899
Location: Chicago, IL

10 Dec 2006, 1:45 am

Frankly the male/female maturity deal was LOST on me! I have NEVER been careless(at least not as far back as I can remember, and I can remember cases of evidence back to before 5years of age)! Heck, I never even climbed a TREE! Now I DID once traverse a deadly situation which included going up a mountain, but 1/2 the people on that trip were WOMEN, and the average age was 25. I was perhaps the first to think about quiting(I was told it was going to be a HIKE, and NOT a walk on a trail hardly big enough for one foot, a rock climb that was on a smooth rock like QUARTZ, on a path where warnings were posted and people actually DIED!), but didn't even flinch because that could have meant death.

I was a VERY good "insurance risk" yet they STILL laughed when I tried to get insurance for a corvette.

I have known LOTS of women that were far more careless.

I have ALSO been around guns, knives, hooks, power equipment, etc.... Heck, I used a lathe when I was VERY young, perhaps 6. I never had a single accident, and what I was working on usually ended up well also.

For all I know, THIS could be aspie related.

Steve



Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Nov 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,399
Location: Western US

10 Dec 2006, 2:17 am

SteveK wrote:
Frankly the male/female maturity deal was LOST on me! I have NEVER been careless(at least not as far back as I can remember, and I can remember cases of evidence back to before 5years of age)! Heck, I never even climbed a TREE! Now I DID once traverse a deadly situation which included going up a mountain, but 1/2 the people on that trip were WOMEN, and the average age was 25. I was perhaps the first to think about quiting(I was told it was going to be a HIKE, and NOT a walk on a trail hardly big enough for one foot, a rock climb that was on a smooth rock like QUARTZ, on a path where warnings were posted and people actually DIED!), but didn't even flinch because that could have meant death.

I was a VERY good "insurance risk" yet they STILL laughed when I tried to get insurance for a corvette.

I have known LOTS of women that were far more careless.

I have ALSO been around guns, knives, hooks, power equipment, etc.... Heck, I used a lathe when I was VERY young, perhaps 6. I never had a single accident, and what I was working on usually ended up well also.

For all I know, THIS could be aspie related.

Steve


Same here, when I'm not playing funny I'm serious and quiet. I maybe a teenager but I have a knack for seeing things the mature way and keeping a calm state of mind if I want it badly enough. (Probably has something deal with my ambi-brain and ability to suppress emotions when I want)


_________________
How good music and bad reasons sound when one marches against an enemy!


KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

10 Dec 2006, 3:43 am

I'm like Steve and Flagg here too, except where in Steve's case where he worked with things early on and the result looked good, mine turned out crap after a few minutes of experience (which is hardly surprising)!


_________________
I was sad when I found that she left
But then I found
That I could speak to her,
In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there


celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 191
Location: Glasgow / Cardiff

10 Dec 2006, 4:57 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I think the official ratio is 1 female for every 4 males--and this is only those who have been formally diagnosed.

Tim


So this isn't the ideal place to come to pick up chicks?



ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2006
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 854

10 Dec 2006, 5:36 am

Many of us are "chicks", but try Love and Dating, perhaps?


_________________
"We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune."


celtic1985
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 9 Dec 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 191
Location: Glasgow / Cardiff

10 Dec 2006, 5:39 am

ping-machine wrote:
Many of us are "chicks", but try Love and Dating, perhaps?


Nah its alright, it was a joke.