I Hate it When My Routine is Disrupted! Anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2012, 11:51 am

Last night the dryer shorted out, and we had to go out and buy a new one. They promised delivery the following day, with a call that morning to advise of the delivery time. When I woke, there was a message saying they would be coming between 12 and 2 pm. So around eleven am , I decided to take a shower. As I climbed out of the shower, I could hear a truck pulling into the driveway. Then they knocked on the door and called my phone. I had to rush around dripping wet and hastily dry off and throw my clothes on. I hadn't had my morning tea or fruit, had to cut my grooming routine down to gathering my wet hair in a scrunchy, and wear a towel around my neck to catch the dripping water. Then I had to make small talk and wait for them to hook up the new dryer and leave. I am still out of sorts and frazzled, over an hour later.

Does anyone else get thrown way out of kilter if there routine is disrupted? How does it affect you, and how long does it take to get back to normal?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

I really hate my routine being disrupted especially when there is no prior warning and I had already planned my day. it puts my whole day off giving me loads of stress.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2012, 1:21 pm

I don't think in terms of routine, but I know if I'm in the middle of something, or plan on doing something, and I have someone telling me to do something else, I might get frazzled. I think it depends on if I'm enjoying the activity and/or I see it as a necessary task.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

I dislike disruptions in my routine unless I initiate the alteration to the schedule. If someone else does, I'm left having to quickly compensate for the changes. Over the years, I have learned to readjust quicker, so now it only takes a few minutes. When I was younger, it would take hours.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2012, 1:35 pm

Oh, I feel your pain. I absolutely hate when my routine is disrupted.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

Back in February of this year, the bosses came to us and said, "Beginning in three weeks, our schedules will change from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts." Out of the blue, just like that. I was so insulted that they think they owned us and our time that I quit.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

I can not live without routines or my life falls apart. The simplest change can take hours to get over.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 4:33 pm

Kindertotenlieder79 wrote:
I don't think in terms of routine, but I know if I'm in the middle of something, or plan on doing something, and I have someone telling me to do something else, I might get frazzled. I think it depends on if I'm enjoying the activity and/or I see it as a necessary task.

^this^

Especially if I'm being told to do something else with no advance warning, or I don't think what I'm being told to do is actually important

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 6:45 pm

I have tried to work on this, but the older I get, the more I rely on routines. It is especially bad at work, where I need to be flexible. But I just revel in shifts that allow me to develop a routine. As one employer remarked "You are such a creature of habit.." That was in 98 or 99. Nothing has changed. Once I develop one, I stick to it. Real stress is if anything breaks it, even something minor.
I am the same way in my home, too.

Sincerely,
Matthew

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 7:21 pm

Resounding yes! My sister coming over for a few hours unexpectedly and moving the little purple kids table I often at and doing other little things like that is enough to make me extremely upset and agitated for the rest of the day...and cause a sleepless night.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 7:26 pm

If someone messes with my routine or springs something on me I find it really distressing. I need at least several hours notice and preferably 24 hours in order to not feel ridiculously distressed by these kind of things. It can help a *little* if the exact reasons for the interruption or change are spelled out for me in minute detail.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Aug 2012, 7:32 pm

I nearly lost my temper with those delivery guys. I kind of snarled "I was in the shower," when I opened the door for them. Then I felt extremely uneasy the whole time that they were there. I am glad that we have a shed separate from the house for our laundry facilities, or else there would have been the added stress of having these strangers inside the house. I still have the haunting feeling that I have forgotten something, because of having that disruption. :( :?

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

Pretty much the same thing happened to me the other week. My mum was getting something delivered, nobody else was in and they came on Friday evening instead of Saturday morning; while I was in the shower! Not only that but they were knocking like they were the police or something - THUD THUD THUD making the whole house vibrate. I was *angry* when I got to the door!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:05 am

I also hate it when my routine is disrupted. I like having Fridays free to do whatever I want. I don't like to be sitting in the doctor's office and at the pharmacy all morning on Friday. I want to be with my friends at the clubhouse or resting so I could go there in the afternoon, so I can jam with the guys.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 2:12 pm

I don't particularly like my routine disrupted either as it really annoys me and can take me quite a while to recover.

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2012, 4:36 pm

I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't feel like I have to be a slave to routine. Sure, I appreciate it- especially as of late. I like doing routine things, because the feeling I get from watering the plants is a lot less intense than meeting a new person. But I don't create a specific routine for myself. In fact, it's taken a lot of work to get to the point where any routine feels comfortable at all.