Why do so many aspies have issues that I don't?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nyrianstark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

Rattus wrote:
Sidmor wrote:
Autists/Aspies behave emotionally differently from the NTs. This may explain some of the seemingly random behaviors.

Autists (and children) think like this, for example:

-Feel happy -> start running

-Feel tired -> lie down

But NTs act more based on how they want to feel/seem:

-Want to feel relaxed -> lie down

Also they generally care more of what others may think of them. Like "don't run because people may think that you did something suspicious".

This compleatly, also reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad the other day.

Dad: but don't you feel happy when you laugh?
me: no I laugh becuase it was funny.
Dad: but doesn't laughing make you feel happy?
me: no I laugh because it's funny.
*computer shutdown moment*

the dad bit sounds like me ive noticed ive alwayus been a bit ... different with my thought patterns and other assorted things but this is me down to a tee if i dont understand i will just mentally shut down while it processes and this can take anything from 5 minutes to an hour its kinda worrying to be honest. is that me being slow or just not very good at understanding peoples sayings etc.?

go go lets catch the shiny! ^_^

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 3:07 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I don't have any obnoxious quirk like that either, when I'm out or at social groups. I'm just like another normal person, with social awkwardness that is mild and hardly noticed by many people.

Do you have a difficult time trying to be a normal person in social groups? It is very hard for me and yet I still have problems with not wanting to make eye contact and the face tics I have. I hate social settings because of my social issues.

Well, I do find social situations difficult because I'm so shy and afraid to speak up, but I can still keep up normal body language, I don't do strange things like go upto people and poke their nose, or other stuff like that. And I don't do other things that make it obvious that there's actually something wrong. Most people just assume I am shy and/or nervous. But I've met a couple of NTs who suffer with shyness and social anxiety.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 8:09 pm

Maybe you also have some quirk that annoys the hell out of everyone that you're unaware of...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.

All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.

He only chose NT because troll wasn't an option.

Maybe he chose the wrong option by mistake and didn't realize.

A lot of what you listed sounded like things that may or may not have anything to do with AS, they could just be personality traits, but some definitely sound a little bit more like AS traits. The first on the list definitely seems like the type of behavior that might be an AS trait. If it is, then maybe that would explain why I do that same exact thing, but I don't touch other people, just non-living objects that look like they might feel smooth and then I love to rub the smooth objects too. :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:59 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Maybe you also have some quirk that annoys the hell out of everyone that you're unaware of...

I do actually hate seeing this type of cliche on these forums.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 10:07 am

Joe90 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

I do actually hate seeing this type of cliche on these forums.

But is it not perhaps valid in this case, since the OP listed numerous "annoying" quirks of others and asserted that he had none?

Really, all people, AS and NT, have quirks that annoy others. No one is perfect.