Struggling to talk in front of people you know

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

Does anyone else struggle to talk in front of people you know?

Say for example I could easily go into a restaurant and order for myself confidently or onto a bus and ask the bus driver for a ticket...when I'm on my own...but I'm scared of doing so when I'm with someone I know, and I often have to have the person I know do the talking for me. I think it comes from a fear of saying something stupid, in front of strangers I don't care, but in front of people I know it's embarrassing.

The problem is of course that it creates a dependency on someone else, having someone do your talking for can make the situation more uncomfortable as people inevitably try to talk to you instead or the person talking for you gets something wrong...I'm fairly certain that's what drove me to finally talk for the first time (my mother talked for me, I was sick of her getting it wrong).

Anyone else like this?

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 4:47 pm

I am like this in some situations too. I don't like my parents being around me when I'm with friends. It makes me feel under pressure because it seems like they are watching me constantly, observing and judging my social skills.

I once knew an Aspie who would talk to me in a perfectly normal fashion when we were alone but would only briefly wave at me while staring at the ground when either of his parents were present!

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 5:46 pm

I have this same problem

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

Like social anxiety by-proxy... definitely! Although social contact is hard in general, it is easier when alone with family, but harder when in the presence of a third person.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135