Advice on how to talk to a professor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Jeanna
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Sep 2012, 6:41 am

Hi everyone,

I'm majoring in psychology and taking a class on sensory processes and perception now, and it's really interesting. Particularly because I've had a lifelong obsession with eyeballs and vision since I was around 6. The thing is, there are lots of questions I want to ask my professor about now, but they aren't in the textbook or talked about in class, so I don't know how to bring them up. Is it okay to just talk about them during consultation? I don't want to annoy my professor or anything, but sometimes I can't tell if I am.

I get really anxious when I think about talking to people I don't really know, and by the time it's my turn during consultation, I usually lose my nerve completely and forget how to phrase my questions and not know where to look. It's getting ridiculous. I have questions from two lessons ago that I still want to ask, but I just don't have the nerve to ask them now. Besides all that, I also really want to do a masters program on cognitive psychology or something pertaining to vision and psychology so I think I should ask my professor for advice, but I don't know how to go about doing that. I think I'll probably just get really anxious and shut up and flee.

Does anyone know any good way to get over this/any good advice as to how to talk to a professor?

Thanks in advance :)

jwalk122
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Sep 2012, 6:50 am

E-mail him all your questions and them let him decide on what he wants to answer

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2012, 7:06 am

Trying writing out the questions before hand so that you can just read them when you want to ask them.

I would suggest asking your professor if they mind if you ask a few questions relating to the course content. Let them know that you are very interested but that you also don't want to inconvenience them. Thanking your professor for their time and consideration is also a good idea. In my experience, most professors are happy when students have a genuine interest in the subject.

Jeanna

11 Sep 2012, 7:09 am

I thought of doing that but I'm even worse at emailing people because I forget to check my email and I don't want to seem rude. In fact, the last time I emailed this prof for another class, I didn't check my email till a few months later and I don't want to give him another bad impression.

However, I've just realised that there's a school and college discussion page so I think I'll be moving this there. I never noticed it before, silly me.

Jeanna

11 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

Agemaki wrote:
Trying writing out the questions before hand so that you can just read them when you want to ask them.

I would suggest asking your professor if they mind if you ask a few questions relating to the course content. Let them know that you are very interested but that you also don't want to inconvenience them. Thanking your professor for their time and consideration is also a good idea. In my experience, most professors are happy when students have a genuine interest in the subject.

Would this be okay? I mean, would it seem weird if I pulled out a list of questions and started rattling them off? I actually do have a list of questions written down, but I've never actually read off it to anyone because I've never seen anyone else do that before.

He seemed alright with me asking a few questions that weren't really in the textbook, but I can't really tell how people feel that well.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:29 am

Writing down is the best way.

Hes probably a busy man and may get annoyed and give you a D, especially since you did not bother to read mail from him before...

Jeanna

11 Sep 2012, 7:36 am

That's kind of what I'm worried about. I don't know if I should just stop asking in case he remembers that I was the student who forgot to reply to his email and decides to flunk me, thereby ruining all chances I ever had of getting into a good masters program. I did write an apology and he seemed quite nice about it, but I probably shouldn't risk it again.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 7:41 am

he probably just wants to get home to his cat and watch some TV

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2012, 2:52 pm

Before talking to your professor, how about bouncing your questions off of some of your psych classmates and friends? Pre-screening your questions ought to help synthesize and distill your questions. Then after you have narrowed down your lines of inquiry, do some research to validate/invalidate. Finally schedule some time with your prof during his office hours.

If you want your prof to take you seriously, and also want to come off as a thinker, then demonstrate that you have the mind of an academic.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 4:19 pm

Hi,

I love to talk to my professors and I have yet to find one who is uninterested or unwilling. I think it would be a rare professor who is not excited about an interested and engaged student. The feedback I get regarding my 'enthusiasm' has all been positive. It is heaven to go somewhere where people are actually interested in what you have to say.

I have been up front about being tongue-tied, nervous, and socially awkward - and guess what? You are likely to find a 'me too'. Remember that these people a) human and are b) professors for a reason - this is a huge commitment to something they were willing to sacrifice years of the life to pursue and advance - this is not just a job to them (or most of them, anyways).

As long as you use your 'basic polite' skills - which you are already showing with courtesy for worry about 'bothering' - it is fine to ask.

Oh please - don't short yourself or your prof. Just set up an appointment or drop in on office hours and see if he is busy. Just say as you said here - I am really interested and I have questions that I haven't been able to satisfy in class or my text. You know what? They keep an eye out for students like you - potential grad students - go with your nerves and all - I think it is perfectly acceptable to say you are nervous and have a few questions written down for if you remember to look at them (I forget). They don't expect you to be a smoothie - just sincere and courteous. And believe me, with all the crap they have to deal with - I am sure he will find your thirst and that you are engaged to think critically beyond the class thoroughly refreshing. Make his day and yours! (and if he is crank - don't be discouraged - it won't be because of you).

As for not getting back to him - IF he even remembers - BIG, BIG 'IF' - just apologize and carry on - there is NO WAY he'd flunk you over something like that - that is an unfounded fear - he'll only flunk you if you really flunk. Most profs strive to be fair - can't make everyone happy - but they have to balance their responsibilities to both academia and students. Trust me - forgetting to reply is innocent - they get a lot of whining and crying and abuse - yours was just an oversight. And guess what - they forget all the time - some worse than others. Sh** happens.

I'm very excited for you - go for it! LM

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 4:33 pm

Talking to professors isn't hard, trust me! Most of them really appreciate it when their students come by to ask questions because it shows that you are interested and care about your education. I agree that writing questions down isn't a bad idea, and it would be perfectly acceptable. Just tell him that you had a lot of questions and wanted to make sure you remembered everything. And unless it was something urgent I'm sure he could care less if you didn't respond to his e-mail...I know most of my professors wouldn't be bothered by it and he certainly won't flunk you over it.

Jeanna

12 Sep 2012, 2:27 am

Bunnynose wrote:
Before talking to your professor, how about bouncing your questions off of some of your psych classmates and friends? Pre-screening your questions ought to help synthesize and distill your questions. Then after you have narrowed down your lines of inquiry, do some research to validate/invalidate. Finally schedule some time with your prof during his office hours.

If you want your prof to take you seriously, and also want to come off as a thinker, then demonstrate that you have the mind of an academic.

The part about doing my own research is great advice, it'll be great to be able to have a question with more substance and in the meanwhile I get to read up more on things I like :lol:
How I'd love to bounce questions off my friends! Unfortunately, I'm not taking this class with any friends, and my friends who have taken this class before don't really like it so they just give me the usual "it's not taught in class and it's not in the textbook or syllabus, just forget it". I don't know how they can find this boring, but oh well, it's their loss.

Logicalmom wrote:
I have been up front about being tongue-tied, nervous, and socially awkward - and guess what? You are likely to find a 'me too'. Remember that these people a) human and are b) professors for a reason - this is a huge commitment to something they were willing to sacrifice years of the life to pursue and advance - this is not just a job to them (or most of them, anyways).

As long as you use your 'basic polite' skills - which you are already showing with courtesy for worry about 'bothering' - it is fine to ask.

It's interesting you said this, because I'm not really sure, but my prof actually seems like an aspie himself. You'd think it would make it easier to talk to him but it doesn't really. I'm going to try to make an appointment to see him during his office hours, maybe that will make it easier to ask him things.

Stargazer43 wrote:
Talking to professors isn't hard, trust me! Most of them really appreciate it when their students come by to ask questions because it shows that you are interested and care about your education. I agree that writing questions down isn't a bad idea, and it would be perfectly acceptable. Just tell him that you had a lot of questions and wanted to make sure you remembered everything. And unless it was something urgent I'm sure he could care less if you didn't respond to his e-mail...I know most of my professors wouldn't be bothered by it and he certainly won't flunk you over it.

I'm going to need a lot of practice talking to anyone before I reach that stage! Right now, talking to almost anyone I don't know well is hard for me. But it's good to know I'm not bothering him. That's a relief.