Questions about some personality disorders

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2020, 11:05 pm

Should Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Paranoid Personality Disorder and Schizoid Personality Disorder be part of the Schizophrenia Spectrum?

I think they should be part of Schizophrenia Spectrum, because the symptoms looks related to delusions of Persecutory delusion and Delusion of grandeur.

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder includes:

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements).

2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.

3. Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions).

4. Requires excessive admiration.

5. Has a sense of entitlement (i.e., unreasonable expectation of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations).

6. Is interpersonally exploitative (i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends).

7. Lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others.

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her.

9. Shows arrogant, haughty behaviors and attitudes.

Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder includes:

* Markedly disturbed sense of identity
* Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment, and extreme reactions to such
* Splitting ("black-and-white" thinking)
* Impulsive or reckless behaviors (e.g., impulsive or uncontrollable spending, unsafe sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)[12]
* Intense or uncontrollable emotional reactions that are disproportionate to the event or situation
* Unstable and chaotic interpersonal relationships
* Self-damaging behavior
* Distorted self-image[4]
* Dissociation
* Frequently accompanied by depression, anxiety, anger, substance abuse, or rage

Symptoms of Paranoid Personality Disorder includes:

1. Suspects, without sufficient basis, that others are exploiting, harming, or deceiving him or her.

2. Is preoccupied with unjustified doubts about the loyalty or trustworthiness of friends or associates.

3. Is reluctant to confide in others because of unwarranted fear that the information will be used maliciously against him or her.

4. Reads hidden demeaning or threatening meanings into benign remarks or events.

5. Persistently bears grudges (i.e., is unforgiving of insults, injuries, or slights).

6. Perceives attacks on his or her character or reputation that are not apparent to others and is quick to react angrily or to counterattack.

7. Has recurrent suspicions, without justification, regarding fidelity of spouse or sexual partner.

Schizoid Personality Disorder may include symptoms of fantasies.