Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

I can't stand carbon dioxide/those bubbles in my drinks... It gets tears in my eyes when drinking them, is an unpleasant sensation on my tongue and thus an unnecessary interruption (not being able to drink in one go). Why do people actually put that in drinks? I don't get it...

I actually like the taste of some drinks which (unfortunately) are carbonated (yes... I know how silly that is :oops:) because I like the taste of the pure drink without it (albeit some are admittedly quite sweet without), so I usually end up shaking the bottle and slowly getting rid of it. But since that is a waste of time, I often just don't drink those drinks but "simple ones" instead.
Only when I really feel like it I drink them.

I wish the companies producing those drinks would sell alternatives without that (and maybe less sweet) in the stores/super markets here - but I doubt such alternatives actually exist or that the interest would be big enough for that to be profitable for those companies. :(

I remember one time in kindergarten very well. I was thirsty (ran out of my own drink, tea) so the "teacher" gave me a glass of carbonated water. I accepted it (not knowing it was carbonated water). I was raised in such a way that if I accept something, I shouldn't give it back because I was told that is ungrateful, so after drinking a bit of it and noticing it was carbonated, I didn't mention anything but forced myself to thank and drink it - but honestly, I couldn't stand it...

Does anyone else here know this issue with carbonated drinks?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm

What I would do is just leave the container open and let it go flat(lose all the fizz) and then if it's too sweet, just dilute it with some water.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm

I'm the opposite. I love carbonated drinks. I'm having one right now. I didn't get them much as a child and I tend to overindulge in everything I didn't get as a child. May be some kind of reverse psychology factor involved.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 4:44 pm

Why not just shake them and very slowly release all the air, and then keep shaking until all the bubbles are gone?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:08 pm

I also love carbonated drinks. They awaken my taste buds.

Sylvastor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 5:50 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
What I would do is just leave the container open and let it go flat(lose all the fizz) and then if it's too sweet, just dilute it with some water.

Yes, to some extent, this is what I do too.
I usually have a bottle with a drink ready for every night as to not having to get out of my bed when waking up and being thirsty, next to it a yellow plastic cup which I always fill with the drink. When I get up at night, the gas is usually gone, so I can drink it and then just refill it and continue to sleep.
But I would be "afraid" of doing this with a bottle, already had some unpleasant incidents of throwing bottles over which were open.
smudge wrote:
Why not just shake them and very slowly release all the air, and then keep shaking until all the bubbles are gone?

I consider this to be a lot of a hassle, but it's one of the only options - unfortunately.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

I loathe carbonation. It burns so much it makes my eyes tear.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:02 pm

Does beer count? It is carbonated. At least it is fizzy.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

I love carbonation and flat drinks are terrible to me.

I can see how it represents a potential texture problem.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

When I was a child the carbonation was painful. I couldn't drink it at all. When I was a young adult I could barely tolerate it. Now I kind of like the tingly sensation but the drinks are way too sweet to drink.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:20 pm

I'm okay with carbonation, but I like flat soda better. I have thought about buying some of those soda flavor bottles for sodastream machines and mixing it with plain water, but I haven't tried it yet.

MJJost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2014, 10:36 pm

I hate carbonation, though I would probably like most of the drinks if they were flat~

EQ Test: 59
Alexithymia: 134

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 11:46 pm

I like carbonated drinks, but if you don't then shaking it and carefully releasing it will make it less carbonated. You can also try to pour them onto other containers, with less in each, that makes the carbonation less. Keeping the lid off for a little while (just make sure bugs don't fall in) will also help make it go flat.

You might also like cola flavored ice pop. (You can just put it in something and drink it if you prefer to drink rather than eat ice.)

I think there are squash tastes (the beverage, not the vegetable) as well with soda pop flavors, but I'm not sure.

The only thing I don't like carbonated is pure water.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 1:21 am

I can't stand any kind of carbonated drinks, either...I was given a soda at a birthday party when I was little, and I freaked out. It felt like the skin was being burnt off my tongue - I was scared to death they were trying to poison me or something.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 1:55 am

As usual, Aspies tend toward the extreme, even on something as simple as soda.

I have a Soda Stream machine. I carbonate the water, then squeeze in some lemon. Lemons taste sweet to me (yeah, I'm weird, just like the rest of you), and the result is my favorite drink. I love the way the fizz bites into my tongue, and I enjoy the cosmic burps. You know it's a good one when your retinas vibrate.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2014, 3:30 am

I like fizzy drinks, though I don't often drink them.

I do enjoy the burning sensation as it goes down.