Anyone feels embarrassed revealing your age?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 6:11 am

Not embarrassed so much as reluctant. Apparently my young age reduces the validity of most of my opinions.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 6:19 am

PixelPony wrote:
I'm really afraid of being And looking old and still acting out my childlike joys, like I won't be allowed or something.

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I'm worried about getting older, because I will still have this air of youthfulness, but a wrinkly face and neck. I'm sure people will still think I'm younger than I am, but haven't aged well, i.e. I'll be a 50 yr old who looks 50, but they'll think I'm 35, but look 50.

Same here. :?

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 6:24 am

Oh, just some random thing I suddenly remember.

Doctors, dentists, even my counsellor, do very visible double takes when they find out my age. It goes mostly the same way. Like, they ask me my age or they look on my medical form and go, "What, you're 39? I thought you were in your 20s!"

I find that amusing. I'm not embarrassed about my age with medical professionals because of my expectation that they should know better about such things, or be more acceptable of "anomalies", and even know the reasons behind them.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 6:56 am

I come from a family of very young looking oldies. My Mum will be 80 next year, but she has the appearance of someone closer to 60. She's well dressed not mutton dressed as lamb, with leggings and too much make-up, at all, just very tidy/casual and doesn't wear clothing that you'd normally see women her age wearing. I could easily find an outfit suitable for myself, in my Mum's wardrobe. Even though she has an extremely painful spinal problem, she doesn't let it stop her. She's active, through the pain. Many people in her position would have felt forced to opt for a mobility scooter. Her mother was very youthful for her age too. She worked until she was 70, cleaning houses. One of the women she did work for said, 'When you get to my age, you'll know all about the aches and pains'. My Gran was 10 years older than her! The ASD traits appear to have been passed from her to my daughter, via myself and my Mum.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 7:07 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
One of the women she did work for said, 'When you get to my age, you'll know all about the aches and pains'. My Gran was 10 years older than her!

I get that a lot! There are a few people I know who are a few years younger than me always saying, "When you get to my age..." or "young uns like you won't understand."

And these people kind of know me for months and months already.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

This is turning into a very depressing thread for me.

jimited
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Sep 2012, 10:45 am

Well I'm 31 and a mature student at college and I absolutely hate telling people my age, and find it highly embarrassing as my class mates age range is from about 18 to 24 and they are completely dumb founded that I'm 31 because they think I look about 20!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 1:22 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Try to enjoy it. Really. Make some joke out it. Like "I look this young because I never worry about anything."
The opposite is much worse. "So you're retired? What do you do now? Are you getting retirement cheques?" And I explain no, I'm a good eleven years or more from retirement. I sometimes joke that it's like Indiana Jones said, "it's not the years, it's the miles." Then they look at me like maybe I have a serious disease.

I did try making a joke of it a few times. When people ask me what's my secret of youth, I answer, "I like eating food with a lot of preservatives." (Which is actually true.. I have the most unhealthy diet.)

But most of the time, I'm not really in the frame of mind to make jokes because I am uncomfortable enough as it is having a conversation and being social.

Well, since they are singling you out already, say "I'm a time traveler from the far future and I won't be aging for another 153 years." Then they'll REALLY look at you like you have lobsters coming out your ears.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 5:07 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Well, since they are singling you out already, say "I'm a time traveler from the far future and I won't be aging for another 153 years." Then they'll REALLY look at you like you have lobsters coming out your ears.

I really like that but I don't understand why a time traveller wouldn't age?

I've also toyed with the idea of telling people that I'm an elf and elves have really long lifespans so I'm actually just a kid in elven years.

But I think sometimes NTs have no sense of humor.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

I really like that but I don't understand why a time traveller wouldn't age?

I've also toyed with the idea of telling people that I'm an elf and elves have really long lifespans so I'm actually just a kid in elven years.

But I think sometimes NTs have no sense of humor.

It just popped into my head that time travelers don't age. Don't know why. I like the Elf comment, when they say 'what about your ears?" you can say you magically changed them so you fit in better.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 5:54 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
It just popped into my head that time travelers don't age. Don't know why. I like the Elf comment, when they say 'what about your ears?" you can say you magically changed them so you fit in better.

lol, that's a good addition.

For a long time, I thought I must be some kind of alien because I don't age at the same rate as all my peers.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

OCD_Angel wrote:
For a long time, I thought I must be some kind of alien because I don't age at the same rate as all my peers.

That's just one of many reasons I felt like an alien. Although I actually felt like an elf, and for some time believed I had some hint of fey or magical blood to explain the many ways I was different.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Sep 2012, 6:02 pm

PixelPony wrote:
That's just one of many reasons I felt like an alien. Although I actually felt like an elf, and for some time believed I had some hint of fey or magical blood to explain the many ways I was different.

Yeah, I've fantasized being something special like that which would explain why I'm so "weird". :P

My grandmother used to enjoy telling me that I was picked up from a rubbish bin when I was a baby. I knew she was teasing, but who knows?

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2012, 4:14 am

OCD_Angel wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

lol, that's a good addition.

I have always felt the same way.
OCD_Angel wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Try to enjoy it. Really. Make some joke out it. Like "I look this young because I never worry about anything."
The opposite is much worse. "So you're retired? What do you do now? Are you getting retirement cheques?" And I explain no, I'm a good eleven years or more from retirement. I sometimes joke that it's like Indiana Jones said, "it's not the years, it's the miles." Then they look at me like maybe I have a serious disease.

I did try making a joke of it a few times. When people ask me what's my secret of youth, I answer, "I like eating food with a lot of preservatives." (Which is actually true.. I have the most unhealthy diet.)

But most of the time, I'm not really in the frame of mind to make jokes because I am uncomfortable enough as it is having a conversation and being social.

Sometimes I think people are being dense because you know how everyone wants to look younger, especially women, but then they dress exactly their age! Then they go, "Wow, I wish I could look young like you." So I'm thinking, sheesh, just stop wearing old people clothes and change your hairstyle and you'll shave off 5 or 10 years immediately.

But it's rude to say that aloud right?

Some rude things I've thought of other people who squee when they realize that I'm 28 instead of high school aged:

"sure it's easy to look younger than you, I didn't marry a tanning bed"

"turn those mom jeans upside down, sailing off a cliff, then you will go find a smile and something that truly fits you without aging you"

"too much makeup caked on makes a person look older"

"when people worry too much about appearance and all the fakeness they put into it, I'm sporting a carefree attitude-- that is the secret to my youth"

"when you eat like crap, you'll look like crap" (and I'm not meaning in an obesity sense, check a person with a healthy diet with proper water intake and their skin glows, as opposed to the person who eats junk food and endlessly guzzles soda with their dull nasty skin)

am I horrible or what? Personally, I think people have gotten used to worried and unhealthy being the new normal so bad that they now think that anyone who looks younger is freakish for not following what they've been doing to their bodies and accepting it as "normal". Of course, there are exceptions to this rule and I apologize if I offended anyone.

OCD_Angel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Sep 2012, 5:56 am

I'm not sure that diet actually affects how you look, because my main diet is junk food and I drink an average of 500ml of liquids a day, most of it being coca cola, and I can still look 15 years younger.

That doesn't mean I don't worry about the harm junk food is doing to my body, but I can't stop myself. I'd rather starve than eat bland food. Which I actually do when I don't have tasty food around.