Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 6:51 am

It is believed that most people with aspergers are good actors naturally , well in my case i believe that very much. I have acted my way to get in the army. and in case you didnt know in australia getting in as a rifleman is very very hard. but i acted the whole thing in the interviews i was confident and knowledgable.

When i had the last interview/test it was with a psychologist he bought into everything i said in which most of it wasnt true, i told him i was a very confident extrovert type person. (in between these interviews i was in the toilets shaking and sweating from anxiety)

ive acted my way out of train fines and police fines, in fact someone who gave me a fine decided that i dont deserve it and drove me home after hes shift!

I have had intense dreams of being a famous actor in which i always used to ignore them, however at this time i have decided to start acting in a local drama group.it will be hard at first due to anxiety , but i just find acting as someone else increases my confidence by 100%. i really cannot explain my intense desire to start acting.

Has anyone else felt this way? or have any similar stories?

Last edited by Australia on 21 Sep 2012, 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnotherKind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:02 am

I thought people with asperger's are really bad at acting.

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Sep 2012, 8:03 am

I would have thought we weren't good actors, because acting requires trying to behave like someone else and conveying emotion you're not even feeling.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:07 am

There are those who are good at it, although I would imagine they're in the minority. Like everything, it depends on the individual.

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 8:12 am

Australia wrote:
http://life-with-aspergers.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/aspergers-syndrome-and-acting.html

I'm terrible at acting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:35 am

I took acting classes to learn how to react to social cues and 'ad lib' a conversation. It worked ... to a point.

Instead of being a geeky, nervous, and jerky freak, I'm now merely an eccentric middle-aged man.

Pobody's nerfect.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:49 am

Seems like acting with a script might be easier than real life. Don't have to guess what people are thinking and feeling.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 10:57 am

I was very interested in acting when I was younger. I've read that it's a good idea for ASpies to at least try one acting class, to learn how their voice sounds, and how to express emotions.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 11:01 am

It helps when conducting an interview to act like Perry Mason (as played by Raymond Burr).

It helps when giving a lecture to act like Mr. Spock (As played by Leonard Nimoy).

It helps when talking to my kids to act like Steven Douglas (Fred MacMurray in 'My Three Sons').

For every situation, there is a role to play.

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 11:05 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I was very interested in acting when I was younger. I've read that it's a good idea for ASpies to at least try one acting class, to learn how their voice sounds, and how to express emotions.

I can already do all that, i sometimes reenact someones voice tone. for example if anyone is familiar with master cheif from halo i can talk exactly like him, or i can talk like an old man etc.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 11:08 am

Australia wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

I can already do all that, i sometimes reenact someones voice tone. for example if anyone is familiar with master cheif from halo i can talk exactly like him, or i can talk like an old man etc.

An acting class gives you the opportunity to try and fail, and to be evaluated on how you sound and look.
Imitating someone's voice tone can be quite the helpful talent.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

Fnord wrote:
It helps when conducting an interview to act like Perry Mason (as played by Raymond Burr).

It helps when giving a lecture to act like Mr. Spock (As played by Leonard Nimoy).

It helps when talking to my kids to act like Steven Douglas (Fred MacMurray in 'My Three Sons').

For every situation, there is a role to play.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts...

I think Steve Martin said that.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

21 Sep 2012, 11:35 am

I'm actually quite decent at acting.

Do I enjoy it? Nope.

... okay, maybe a little bit. But not when a whole lot of people are watching. :lol:

birchbark
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

When I was a college freshman, I pulled something like the OP, but in a writing class. It was my first college course, so I figured if I was ever going to make a conscious effort to change how I interacted with people, that would be a good time to start. I did my very best impression of extroversion and social normalness every time I interacted with anyone from that class. I was friendly, I hung out after class, attended study groups, everything. One of the assignments in the class was to keep a journal that only the professor and I would read. I kept field notes on how my interactions with my classmates went, and confessed to the teacher that I was faking pretty much everything with them. The professor thought it was really funny and I got an excellent grade on the assignment. :-)

Australia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2012, 11:42 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I'm actually quite decent at acting.

Do I enjoy it? Nope.

... okay, maybe a little bit. But not when a whole lot of people are watching. :lol:

u made me lol :)