Is it possible for an Aspie to be more illogical/irrational?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 2:11 pm

Sometimes I feel that every way I think is irrational, doesn't have any logical explanation behind it, and can never be talked out, reasoned with, or solved in any way. A lot of things I am aware of the rational side, but for some reason my mind still always looks on the irrational side. It's like I base all my thoughts and intentions on emotions. I worry too much about how I'm going to feel in a situation, and also how other people are going to feel. For example, I've heard some people say to me, ''on my first day of work, I knew it was my job, I knew I was going to be paid for it, I didn't worry or fret, I just got on with it, and didn't worry about other people either because I knew I was doing the right thing because I knew it was my job to do what I'm doing.'' I wish I could think like that, but instead on my induction day of cleaning job, I kept thinking, ''oh my God, will I be in other people's way when I'm hoovering? Will they feel annoyed with me? Will I feel tired and shattered quick today? Will I like the job? Will other people feel comfortable with me around? Am I being too quick? Am I being too slow? Will I get it all done on time? Will the manager like me, as an employee and as a person?''

Any thoughts on this? Is this accurate? Does anxiety disorder involve too many irrational thoughts? Or does the above have anything to do with logical/illogical-ness?

yellowrah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

that sounds like me, i have to think of every single little worry its almost like i have to cover every little worry in my head i call them "what ifs" its awful cos u can never relax, its like i take a situation and pull it to piece of every little worry and in the end it makes me feel so anxious i feel panicky, this is why i have Generalised anxiety disorder, it sounds like this to me, its not normal apparently to worry THAT much, its an anxiety disorder in my case, its rubbish tho :( and people say oh u need to relax more or dont worry, or they say people won't think or do that, but how am i supposed to know , its like i can't even trust myself to judge a situation i always over estimate a situation into a threatening place where everyone will hate me, its GAD with a mixture of low self-esteem i think, but its very irrational but uncontrollable

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 2:34 pm

Hi:

I don't know, are these irrational thoughts? Do they create a great deal of anxiety for you? I would think anxiety and doubts are normal when you start a new job. Sometimes I wonder about the truth and accuracy of people who say they do not worry. Maybe, I suppose, as we are all different. I see nothing "wrong" with being worried about all that you mentioned for when you start a new job. I think that your concerns are valid and that they will probably dissipate once you have some feedback and are comfortable that you have mastered your new routine.

I have a part time cleaning job. Very occasionally I have accepted some hours where there are people present, otherwise I work alone in the evenings. I have such a hard time recovering from shifts at public buildings during operational hours that I don't want to do anymore. I have minimal contact with my boss and only once in a while have contact with employees of the offices I clean. I like it that way. I was nervous for about the first month. Now, I feel like the offices are 'mine'. The cleaning rooms are 'mine' so I don't have to worry about what other people are doing and how they are doing it. If you find that you do not settle into a comfortable routine, is there any possibility your employer can offer you a job where you are more independent? I work from a checklist and at my own speed and, though I swear if I win the million I will take a sledge hammer to the urinals, I think this is a good fit for me.

One other thought is worrying about your worrying probably doesn't help you. It is easier for me to give this advice than take it, but maybe you could allow yourself to feel worried for a while as a normal part of a new job. If it keeps up really bad after you have been there for a while, then you might have to address your anxiety in some way.

I don't see anything irrational in what you are worried about. Every question you have asked corresponds to an actual possibility. You will get feedback on certain of the questions fairly clearly just by guidelines such as what you are expected to have finished by what time. You will be slower at first until you learn the routine. Other things, like what people think about you, can be harder to tell and hopefully you will get more comfortable with letting them think what they like as you are more confident in how you are doing and understanding your job. I think it will all come together with familiarity. You are neither illogical nor irrational.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:30 pm

Can you imagine? Running into a bathroom with your bladder bursting only to find the urinals have been destroyed?

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

Well,, my plan is that with the million dollars I will also fix them. :lol: I just want the pleasure of smashing them. They still have the toilet and, if need be, a yard outside the back door. 8) One can dream :P

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 3:52 pm

Yeah that can be anxiety, I have that issue as well...........I mean sometimes I almost want to laugh at how ridiculous some of my concerns get to be. But yeah if i set out to do something it is not uncommon for my brain to go on and on with all kinds of concerns about it. 'what if this happens, what if they think this, what if you make an idiot of yourself, what if, what if what if and it just won't shut up.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

Rationality and logic are dependent on how fearful a person is. The more fearful someone is, the less logical they are. So yes, Aspies can be very fearful. I was always like what you described because I didn't know how to control my emotions. It's not that I was a loose cannon; I just couldn't always put my thoughts into words or actions.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 4:38 pm

Well these thoughts don't just come when starting a job, they occur in everything I do.